$1,000.00 Bookshelf Recomendations. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $1,000.00 Bookshelf Recomendations.

Shwamdoo
02-10-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm in the market for a pair of bookshelf speakers that go for about $1,000.00 (I can stretch some if necessary). I've been doing my research and I have it narowed down to several models from several companies. I just wanted to here others opinions on who makes good bookshelfs and which models in particular have good reputations.

Thanks.

bargainseeker
02-10-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm in the market for a pair of bookshelf speakers that go for about $1,000.00 (I can stretch some if necessary). I've been doing my research and I have it narowed down to several models from several companies. I just wanted to here others opinions on who makes good bookshelfs and which models in particular have good reputations.The recommendations in this post (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=66436&postcount=7) may be helpful in giving you ideas of bookshelf speakers in that price range to include on your audition list.

matt39
02-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Von Schweikert VR1, Dynaudio Audience 52, Quad 12L, JM Reynaud Twin Mkll, and Green Mountain Audio Europa all have good reps, reviews and performance. I admit that I have heard only the Dynaudio's (which were excellent) but I have been especially interested in the VR1's since they sound like they would be terrific all rounders and are very affordable used. Perhaps Topspeed can chip in with some advice as I think he has a pair.

N. Abstentia
02-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Paradigm Studio 40's are my choice.

drseid
02-11-2005, 04:15 PM
At the $1000 a pair new price point I would highly recommend you try and seek out the Consonance Eric-1s ($995/pr.). I heard these at THE Show this year, and I was *very* impressed... They are a perfect match for the very reasonably priced Consonance electronics too, BTW.

Also worth a look are the Linn Katans. Retailing just under 1K, they sound quite nice and look great too. Their only drawback is a lack of bass extension (even for a mini-monitor). If you plan to pair them with a musical sub, then this is not an issue... If you plan to play them by themselves, then you may want to keep looking...

---Dave

RGA
02-11-2005, 05:27 PM
I reviewed several speakers from all over the price ranges.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6696
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6698
page 1 not directly relevant http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6694

$1000.00 is awkward because the AN AX Two competes with any $1k standmount I have ever heard beating most of them ---- and some which I think are better cost about 3 times the price and still don't really nail them --- I would look at the AX Two which will probably hold its own against most up to about $2kUS - then the two's shortcummings will be more noticeable.

The Dynaudio's biggest drawback is the power suck - most of my favorite amplifiers are low power - very few high power amps I like --- if I'm forced to buy high power SS I won't be happy --- but I know people like it so....

Also PMC while I personally would not want to listen long term to them do their thing exceptionally well and if you like that kind of sound they're a great speaker maker.

Don't skimp too much on stands. Skylan is a very nice outfit.

46minaudio
02-11-2005, 05:53 PM
I reviewed several speakers from all over the price ranges.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6696
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6698
page 1 not directly relevant http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6694

$1000.00 is awkward because the AN AX Two competes with any $1k standmount I have ever heard beating most of them ---- and some which I think are better cost about 3 times the price and still don't really nail them --- I would look at the AX Two which will probably hold its own against most up to about $2kUS - then the two's shortcummings will be more noticeable.

The Dynaudio's biggest drawback is the power suck - most of my favorite amplifiers are low power - very few high power amps I like --- if I'm forced to buy high power SS I won't be happy --- but I know people like it so....

Also PMC while I personally would not want to listen long term to them do their thing exceptionally well and if you like that kind of sound they're a great speaker maker.

Don't skimp too much on stands. Skylan is a very nice outfit.

I would take tis advice with a grain of salt.Any speaker manufacture that charges 10x the price, maybe more for the same speaker except for some 70 cents a foot silver wire has to be "fool of ****"....Here you go..

A fellow here during my last trip to my dealer Soundhounds had his B&W's completely re-wired with Audio Note Silver and claimed it transformed his speakers significantly...
Plus from what I have read from rga the ANs must be placed in a corner to sound there best.
Check out some brands from Paradigm,Monitor Audio,Vandersteen,Onix,VMPS,GR ,And a host of others., Good luck and dont forget about RGAs advice never go own rewiews especially his...

RGA
02-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Why especially mine -- get a clue as to the manufacturing costs on silver foil - Silver quality and the way it's used in manufacturing isn't the same as silver in bars. This has been discussed on Audio Asylum in the past and the mark-up on even very expensive AN speakers isn't as high most main stream speakers. AN also tests and calibrates every single set of speakers - not one every 100 off an Assembly line of little 9 year old girls. The proof of that is the AX Two which is hand built in Denmark uses good quality Vifa drivers and a decent cabinet (a better one can be purchased and it's better than the 705 and STILL about 1/2 to 2/3 the price. Both makes have to get shipped here at about the same shipping costs - less maybe for B&W if they get bulk rates. The B&W mark-up is much much higher.

It's interesting that morons like are SOOO supportive of review publications --- but geez those publications seem to like Audio Note --- If I'm a shill that implies I'm supporting a bad overpriced product fad - but gee the reviews love em, most people I know who have heard em like em, and hey at least they do use silver.

AN recommends corner placement for best results - it is not necessary to achieve excellent results free-standing, nearfield, or far field.

But by all means no one is forcing you to agree with my opinion. Just don;t expect everyone to agree with yours.

NickWH
02-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Shwamdoo, considering your NAD BEE components, I don't think upgrading your speakers by themselves will yield the best improvement. You would have to start upgrading other components to get the most out of a better speaker system.

While I agree with BargainSeeker's and Matt39's speaker list, I don't understand how and why others just blurt out their favorite speakers without considering the original posters entire system first. And I'm not just referring to this thread, there are many of these type of "best for the $$$" threads every day. They just don't make any sense.

WAF!
02-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Shwamdoo, considering your NAD BEE components, I don't think upgrading your speakers by themselves will yield the best improvement. You would have to start upgrading other components to get the most out of a better speaker system.

While I agree with BargainSeeker's and Matt39's speaker list, I don't understand how and why others just blurt out their favorite speakers without considering the original posters entire system first. And I'm not just referring to this thread, there are many of these type of "best for the $$$" threads every day. They just don't make any sense.

Adding a NAD C272 would really open up those Stratus mini's

drseid
02-12-2005, 08:24 AM

I don't understand how and why others just blurt out their favorite speakers without considering the original posters entire system first. And I'm not just referring to this thread, there are many of these type of "best for the $$$" threads every day. They just don't make any sense.

Hi Nick,

I can't speak for others, but my own reasoning is if someone mentions their equipment, then it can be taken into account, if not...

I did not see any electronics mentioned here, so I provided the two speaker models that I would pick assuming the equipment can drive them properly. This allows the poster to find good electronics that can match well with the new speakers if they so desire (just for the record, the Eric-1s sound best with Consonance electronics and the Katans sound best with Linn -- but many others will do just fine on both)... If the poster doesn't mention their electronics, sometimes they are looking to build up a new system (and are starting with speakers)... Just a thought...

I *will* say that if it is indeed NAD gear powering the speakers in this case, then I feel that it should be quite adequate for both of my recommendations (if not entirely optimal)... Of course, your experience and others may be different.

Best regards,

---Dave

matt39
02-12-2005, 10:31 AM
While the NAD 320BEE and 521BEE may be budget components they are also excellent performers and should handle all the speakers mentioned in my post pretty well. I might have some reservations about the Audience 52's if I hadn't auditioned them with a 35 wpc Arcam integrated which seemed to handle them quite well. The VR1, 12L, and Twin ought to be ok with the NAD electronics and one of the posters on Audiogon detailed how well his Europa's sounded with them too. I admit that upgraded electronics might be nice but one of the joys of owning the speakers mentioned thus far is that you could upgrade your system significantly and keep the speakers. I have a question for Schwamdoo however---Is there something about the Stratus Minis you don't like? I would have mentioned them in my first post if I had remembered them as they are another speaker I am considering. I've heard them several times and I like them a great deal. Perhaps WAF! is onto something with the amp recommendation. You might also consider a used C270 and save some money.

Shwamdoo
02-13-2005, 05:20 PM
I should have posted this as well, but I am upgrading electonics as well. I am considering NAD, Jolida, Rotel, Creek, Arcam, Rega, Adcom, and Cambridge Audio. So far I am most interested in the NAD C542 CD player and the NAD C372 integrated amplifier, however I have not auditioned Jolida or Creek. I will most definatley upgrade amplifiers so, power shouldn't be too much of an issue for bookshelf speakers.

Thank you.

topspeed
02-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Personally, I feel that speakers are the most critical link in any system. Front end equipment can and will make an audible difference, but not to the same degree that changing speakers will. There are "night and day" differences between speakers, whereas amp's/pre's/cd players exhibit...uh, not so much. Get your speakers first and then decide if the C320bee is still found lacking.

As Matt mentioned, I've enjoyed my VR1's for quite a while now and would highly recommend you audition a pair and see if they create the same magic for you. Aside from their sound, which is purely subjective so no use going there, I like the fact that:
1) They are contructed of solid wood veneers (your choice of finish), no vinyl wraps here.
2) Solidly braced cabinet w/ chamfered edges for lower diffraction
3) Easy to drive @ 8 ohm nominal/5 ohm min. w/ 89dB/w/m
4) Very dynamic and solid to 40hz (-3db)
5) High quality evidenced by Cardas rhodium binding posts, custom drivers, blahblahblah

In short, give them a listen. You might be surprised.

Hope this helps

Shwamdoo
02-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Hokay...
I've made a bit of progress...(I think.)

I have narrowed my list down to just a few speakers that I am most interested in.
-Epos M12.2
-Dynaudio Audience 52
-JMlab Chorus 707S
-Monitor Audio Gr10
-PSB Stratus Mini

What are your thoughts on these?

Thanks.

topspeed
02-15-2005, 11:11 PM
I auditioned the Epos ELS3, Dane 52, JML 707s, and Monitor GR10 (among others) when I bought my br speakers. Guess which one I thought was best?

dba
02-16-2005, 04:16 AM
The VR-1s will beat all those on your list,

Shwamdoo
02-16-2005, 04:20 AM
Topspeed, I would have to guess the Epos ELS3. But, I have no idea. Which was it?

WAF!
02-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Hokay...

I have narrowed my list down to just a few speakers that I am most interested in.
-Epos M12.2
-Dynaudio Audience 52
-JMlab Chorus 707S
-Monitor Audio Gr10
-PSB Stratus Mini

Thanks.

Shwamdoo,

I have auditioned all but the JMlabs and thought they were all excellnet performers in their price ranges. I do agree that speakers make the biggest difference but with your list I feel they all offer comparable performance. In short, they are all just different sounding. It really depends on what sound you are looking for. There are sonic differences between amps as well but not to the same affect as speakers. Since you have already stated you are upgrading electronics why not get the amp first and see how that sounds with your Stratus mini's. You can then decide if the mini's aren't the sound you are looking for. If you were to go to higher end speakers than what is on your list then the amp/speaker matching would be more critical.

I have Dynaudio 42's running off a NAD T752 AV and am looking to add a seperate 2 or 3 channel amp. They sound great already with the NAD AV but would sound even better with 150+ good quality watts.

There is an interesting review in the review section of this site on the Stratus Mini's. The owner had them running on a low wattage Nad and then upgraded his amplification. He was very pleased with the results. You may want to look at the review if you haven't already.

axelsrd
02-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Don't know how you feel about Klipsch but the RB-75's go for just under $1000...between $850 & $1000.

20to20K
02-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Quad 12L and Polk LSi9. Both around $800 a pair. Both sound great.

I'd go with the Quads over the Polks because they're easier to drive and have better bass.

phatbass
02-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Have you heard the Mackie 824s? I know a few people who have bought them for their 2 channel systems and HTs and love them. Plus they are active, so you do not need amps. I have heard them a few times and love them, very clear and detailed. Most pro audio stores have them(they are used in studios for mix down) and they cost about $1,200. Keep in mind that is for speakers and 4 amps(built in the cabinet).

shokhead
02-17-2005, 09:01 AM
I was checking out the Axiom Audio M22ti and for 400 bucks a pair,i could go for 4 of those and with the money i saved,a good center if you dont use one of those and just get 5 and a killer sub.

topspeed
02-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Topspeed, I would have to guess the Epos ELS3. But, I have no idea. Which was it?
Read post #14.

Pat D
02-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Hokay...

-Epos M12.2
-Dynaudio Audience 52
-JMlab Chorus 707S
-Monitor Audio Gr10
-PSB Stratus Mini

Thanks.
Of those, the only ones I have heard are the PSB Stratus Minis, which I find to be astonishingly good. We bought a pair a few months ago, the cheapest by far of the speakers I auditioned. They have useful bass down to around 35 Hz, but we have a big subwoofer to fill in the deep bass (which is why we looked a lot at monitor speakers). The are quite accurate but a bit more laid back than many speakers--which for me is generally a good thing, but tastes differ.

But all of them have good reputations and are no doubt very fine speakers. Both the Dynaudio and the Stratus Minis are moderately insensitive, about 86 dB with a 2.83 volt input, and are 4 ohm speakers. However, you are looking at a 150 watt NAD amp, so that should be no problem at all.