Volume [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Volume

enigma_two
02-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi all. I just bought an Onkyo 702 receiver and a pair of Jamo E 855 speakers.
I use the receiver as a stereo amp. for the moment.
since I am new to this digital thing I have a question. The receiver has a volume level from 0 to 100 I have to put it at 55 at least so I can hear some sound from the speakers. I did the automatic setup with the microphone (part of the receiver intial set up) saw some improvement in sound quality but not to the volume. Is this volume thing normal or there is something wrong.
Also does anyone know the impetance of the receiver? The documentation says 6 Ohms and the Onkyo site says 8 Ohms. The speakers are 6 Ohms so maybe ther eis the problem. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

midfiguy
02-10-2005, 02:38 PM
The reciever is probably an 8ohm model. Seeing as how the speakers are 6ohms, they're going to be a bit harder to drive than 8ohm speakers. That being said, what is the sensitivity of them? It probably is pretty low, so that would make it harder for the receiver to drive them up as well.

E-Stat
02-10-2005, 06:19 PM
The receiver has a volume level from 0 to 100 I have to put it at 55 at least so I can hear some sound from the speakers.
The perception of sound is based upon a logarithmic, not linear scale. Adding another 3 db requires a doubling of power. Who know exactly what the gain increment is for that control. If the control were calibrated in very precise 1 db steps and "100" on the dial is full output, then "97" would be half power. "94" would be quarter power, etc. "55" would then relate to somewhere around 2 thousandth's of a watt with your 100 watt amp. Sounds normal to me.

Also does anyone know the impetance of the receiver?
Receivers don't have an impedance per se, as that is the resistance of a driven load such as a loudspeaker. Amplifiers do, however, have power ratings based upon such loads. Typically most solid state amps increase power with lower impedance loads. Many modest receivers, however, are not designed to work well with very low (4 ohm or below) loads.

rw

enigma_two
02-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Thank you very much guys.
I sent a message to Onkyo regarding the impentance but have no answer yet.
Ans sorry for the spelling but English is my second language :)