bookshelfs driven by car amp....will this work? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : bookshelfs driven by car amp....will this work?

Tarheel_
02-10-2005, 01:28 PM
i want to put a pair of Infinity 150s on my boat and drive it with a car amp. I have a cass. deck, cd changer already installed, but the exisiting KLH speakers lack bass.

So, can i drive them (8ohm) with a system designed for car audio (4ohm)?

Do you shop the same for car amps as home amps? Wattage measured the same?

As always, i'm in search of better sound.

This Guy
02-10-2005, 02:33 PM
speakers are speakers. they'll work fine. Car amps are usually rated for 4 ohms and lower, so take the wattage it puts out at 4 ohms and divide by two and that's how much the amp will put out to those speakers.

James.ca
02-11-2005, 06:17 AM
Don't you DARE do that one .
Home spaekers run on usually 8 ohm load and car amps use a 4 ohm load on amp
Your going to break somethng like amp or spaekers or both !!
James

mustang
02-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Just keep them protected from the elements. Car amps are usually rated at a 4 Ohm load. Therefore, if you connect an 8 Ohm speaker, you are cutting the load in half. Your amp will now make (approximately) half of its 4 Ohm RMS rated power. I'm just going to assume these will be used in a cabin, otherwise I would get a pair of weather resistant speakers.

46minaudio
02-11-2005, 08:07 AM
i want to put a pair of Infinity 150s on my boat and drive it with a car amp. I have a cass. deck, cd changer already installed, but the exisiting KLH speakers lack bass.

I do it on my boat..works fine..I have a pair if Indoor Outdoor 8ohm speakers mounted on the sides of my Ttop.I fish out of Atlantic Beach NC..I have to replace the speakers every two years,but not for running them from a car cd player.The salt eats them up..Here is another inexpensive option..
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-952
Wher do you boat at??

This Guy
02-11-2005, 12:40 PM
James
if you're serious, don't you DARE touch another piece of audio equipment again

N. Abstentia
02-11-2005, 12:52 PM
James

Please tell me you're joking.

MikeyBC
02-14-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by James.ca
James.

Actually the amp is going to see a much easier load and run cooler with 8 ohm speakers because it is going to supply half the current . Most heat is generated by current NOT voltage. Also as mustang said...it wont put out as much power though, as long as you get the volume you desire there's nothing at all to worry about.

Geoffcin
02-14-2005, 05:55 PM

But the speakers, and how they will react to the enviroment. Boats are notorious for distroying speakers, and if these Ininity speakers are not designed for outdoor use then I would seriously reconsider using them in this application. There's plenty of outdoor speakers to choose from, some made by larger brand names too. I would reccomend looking into one of these if the 150's are not weather resistant.

Tarheel_
02-24-2005, 08:27 AM
over outdoor speakers for a few reasons.

1- sound - indoor speakers are generally larger and contain superior 'guts'
2- selection - sooo many more to choose from. Can buy used!
3- price - for the price of a decent outdoor speaker....one can find a used indoor for less price.
4- by saving so much money...if they die in a few years, so what? take the savings a buy another pair

case in point; i use bookshelf (infinity primus 150) on my deck...slightly covered....remove them in winter. They sound wonderful and i bet....better than any dedicated outdoor. I paid $110 shipped (used). Now, you would be pressed to find an outdoor for that price alone. Plus, you'll never find a 'nice' used outdoor speaker.

46minaudio....i have a house on lake and boat there....only fish on the coast so no salt to worry about

Mash
02-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Heck, even with the pipes closed cruising at 40, I can't really hear the 4 speakers on my boat.

Use regular stereo speakers as long as you screw them down thoroughly and do not mind scrapping them periodically. I picked up a pair of large marine speakers from WestMarine-ebay for $77 and after a little mod they are pretty good. Of course, since I use tubies with Magnepans, my standards for coned speakers used with marine/car stereos are pretty lax.