Rik Emmett?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rik Emmett??

Hyfi
02-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Which if any of his solo albums are more like Triumph?

FA? Barry?

Thanks,
Hyfi

ForeverAutumn
02-09-2005, 01:30 PM
If you want an album that rocks, go with his first solo effort, Absolutely . His second album, Ipso Facto, is also a good rock album but doesn't have the edge that Absolutely has, IMO, and is a bit slower in general tempo. By the time you reach his third album The Spiral Notebook, he's become more Adult Contemporary.

FWIW, Absolutely is one of my all-time favourite albums and is on my desert island list.

Uh, note my signature, eh. :D

Hyfi
02-09-2005, 02:31 PM
If you want an album that rocks, go with his first solo effort, Absolutely . His second album, Ipso Facto, is also a good rock album but doesn't have the edge that Absolutely has, IMO, and is a bit slower in general tempo. By the time you reach his third album The Spiral Notebook, he's become more Adult Contemporary.

FWIW, Absolutely is one of my all-time favourite albums and is on my desert island list.

Uh, note my signature, eh. :D

A friend I turned on to Triumph had asked for recomendations. The Ipso Facto disk is real good but not hard rock. I'll be a lookin for Absolutely also.

I will have to check out your signature tomorrow from school. I have all options turned off on.

Dave_G
02-09-2005, 06:53 PM
He did a solo gig here in Atlanta several months ago, I heard it was decent.

Dave

BarryL
02-10-2005, 05:55 AM
Which if any of his solo albums are more like Triumph?

FA? Barry?

Thanks,
Hyfi

None of them are like Triumph. I find that on his solo albums, Rik definately has tried to hone his songwriting skills, usually with long lyrics.

His more recent albums have been more accoustic and jazz-based, but there was a blues album with a blue drawing of Rik playing guitar on the cover that is more electric than some of the others.

I tried to upload a picture of me and Rik, but the picture size is too large. I don't know how to make it smaller, so no pictures.

Hyfi
02-10-2005, 06:07 AM
None of them are like Triumph. I find that on his solo albums, Rik definately has tried to hone his songwriting skills, usually with long lyrics.

His more recent albums have been more accoustic and jazz-based, but there was a blues album with a blue drawing of Rik playing guitar on the cover that is more electric than some of the others.

I tried to upload a picture of me and Rik, but the picture size is too large. I don't know how to make it smaller, so no pictures.

I have the one of you, Essy and Rik. Open it in any picture viewer and resize. I use ACDSee but almost any viewer will do it.

Thanks for the info.

progfan
02-10-2005, 07:30 AM
For a Martian like myself who has never heard Triumph but always meant to get around to it, what should I start with? I remember they got a little popular here in the US in the early 80s and now the general consensus seems to be they are a poor person's Rush. But I'm willing to give them a go just the same.

ForeverAutumn
02-10-2005, 08:08 AM
For a Martian like myself who has never heard Triumph but always meant to get around to it, what should I start with? I remember they got a little popular here in the US in the early 80s and now the general consensus seems to be they are a poor person's Rush. But I'm willing to give them a go just the same.

I disagree with the comments that Truimph is a poor man's Rush. Although I've heard it said before. Although both band were trios and were popular at the same time, Rush was much more progressive than Triumph. I always thought that they had very different sounds and styles. I never really understood the comparisons.

I haven't heard the entire Truimph catalogue, but if you're looking for a starting place I would recommend Allied Forces or Just A Game. General consensus amongst Triumph fans seems to be that their earlier stuff is much better than their later stuff. I don't think that I've heard an entire album later than Allied Forces, so I can't comment on that from personal experience.

Allied Forces was their biggest commercial success. I think that about half the songs were hit singles for them. Just A Game, while not as commercially successful, includes the classics, Hold On and Lay It On The Line, as well as the intricate Suitcase Blues (I love that song).

None of them are like Triumph.

I totally agree with this statement. Hyfi, if your friend is looking for something that sounds like Triumph, he may be disappointed. But if he just wants some good ol' rock'n'roll with some kick-ass guitar, Absolutely is the way to go.

Dave_G
02-10-2005, 08:57 AM
So what do the Canadians here think of Saga, if Triumph is the poor mans Rush?

Can anyone do me up a Saga comp?

Dave

ForeverAutumn
02-10-2005, 10:17 AM

Dave

Saga was never as successful in Canada as Triumph or Rush. Their success came from overseas. They were big in Europe and lived there for many years.

I don't think that I have any Saga anymore. Sorry.

BarryL
02-10-2005, 12:10 PM

Dave

I may have thier first and second albums on vinyl, but nothing on CD. Jim Gilmour went to my high school, for what it's worth, but I was never really a big fan, although they did have their own unique sound at the time, what with all of those keyboard players, and a couple of big hits in Canada.

Hyfi
02-10-2005, 01:31 PM

I saw Triumph the first time out of lack anything else to do and probably drugs.....circa 1980. Smaller venue...Tower Theater in Philly. They played wireless and performed all over the theater including the balcony. Light and effects show were good. 3 guys kick it out with a positive message.....similar but just shy of Kansas' message. I have Stages, a live disk of most of their best but missing Blinding Light Show. Performance - great, sonics....maybe the worst sounding disk I own.

Give them a spin. You may just like some of it.

Hyfi

DarrenH
02-10-2005, 03:34 PM
I saw Triumph in Jacksonville, Florida back in 1985. They opened for Molly Hatchet.

Quite a pairing.

We we there mostly to see Molly Hatchet. Hatchet were pretty big at that time. I was fairly unfamiliar with Triumph. Well, I knew some of their songs. Lets just say I'm a bigger fan now than I was then.

Oh, the Molly Hatchet was recorded and parts of it were released on Double Trouble Live. This happens to be a damn good live ceedee btw, that is, if you're into Molly Hatchet.

Darren

ForeverAutumn
02-11-2005, 06:48 AM
I may have thier first and second albums on vinyl, but nothing on CD. Jim Gilmour went to my high school, for what it's worth, but I was never really a big fan, although they did have their own unique sound at the time, what with all of those keyboard players, and a couple of big hits in Canada.

I remember seeing Saga several years ago. I was out with my other brother (yes, there's more of us :eek: ) and we ran into Jim, who my brother knew from high school. He invited us to the show and put us on the guest list (cool). It was a fantastic show with just a few hundred fans in a downtown club. During the show, one of the drum skins broke. To fill in the time while the drum was being repaired, Michael Sadler and the guitarist pulled up a couple of stools and did a short accoustic set. It was fantastic!!

I saw Triumph once. My cousin won tickets to a New Years Eve concert at Maple Leaf Gardens. We were only about 15 at the time and her mother wouldn't let her go. My Mom was much cooler so I got the tickets. Harlequin and Teenage Head were the opening acts. My cousin was pissed. I had a great time!

I've seen Rik Emmett a bunch of times. It's become almost an annual tradition. The great thing about Emmett is that it seems that he never does the same show twice. Everytime we see him, it's a whole new set.

For Triumph fans, I have a fairly decent DVD of Triumph performing at the US Festival in 1983. It's a pretty short concert covering only eight songs. But there's some pretty good interview footage also. The sound is okay. But, if you've never seen them perform it's a worthwhile DVD to see. Unfortunately, the performance is during the day so you don't get the benefit of their blinding light show . :D It was a pretty cheap DVD. If you can find it, it's worth checking out.