Full sounding Bookshelf speakers??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Full sounding Bookshelf speakers???

eroom1369
02-09-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers to be used strictly for music. I listen to mostly Rock, Hard Rock, Jazz. The room size is 16 x 12. Most of the bookshelf/monitor speakers , that I've listened to, seem to have that harsh bright sound, and not enough low end for my taste. I'm looking for a warm sounding speaker with a decent low end. Any suggestions? My budget is approx. $400-$500 msrp. Used speakers are fine as well. Thanks.

jamison162
02-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Have you listened to any Polk Audio, should be able to find them local. I just picked up a set of RTi4's at Crutchfield after auditioning at Sound Advice. They really surprised me for $260. Don't know how critical your ears are.

stuartlittle
02-09-2005, 01:42 PM
It's literally thinking outside the box, but the Classic One or Classic Two from Orb Audio gets great reviews for music, and the small sub guarantees low end for the type of music you listen to. I have the HT sytem from them w/ the Mod2 up front and I play a lot of music, esp. Rock, and they sound better than my much bigger speakers that preceded them.

shoe
02-09-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers to be used strictly for music. I listen to mostly Rock, Hard Rock, Jazz. The room size is 16 x 12. Most of the bookshelf/monitor speakers , that I've listened to, seem to have that harsh bright sound, and not enough low end for my taste. I'm looking for a warm sounding speaker with a decent low end. Any suggestions? My budget is approx. $400-$500 msrp. Used speakers are fine as well. Thanks.
Excellent bass responce and never harsh..good build quality

matt39
02-09-2005, 03:15 PM
I will second the Polk Audio recommendation. If your receiver or amp can handle a 4 ohm speaker then take a look at the Lsi 7 or 9 used. The Rti and Rt series present an 8 ohm load and would also be good choices as well as cost effective. While I haven't heard the more recent Polk offerings, I own the Rti38's (which are the Rti4's predecessor) and I believe they would be exactly what you're looking for. There are other good choices but Polk is worth a look given your listening preferences. Good luck.

cam
02-09-2005, 05:51 PM
The studio 20's are a nice full sounding standmount but will most likely blow your budget. Take a listen to the paradigm monitor 3's. They have a 8 inch driver and can be driven very hard to ear bleed volumes. They were one of the fullest sounding standmounts that I have heard for around $450.

RGA
02-09-2005, 08:35 PM

The reality is you're not going to get what you're after - I suspect you want a big rocker ballsy sound - and most standmounts can't do it - the B&W N805 is $2k and it's laughable for big rock. The Paradigm suggestions are resoanble but again for rock with bass at volume? Umm no.

There is no crime in buying a floorstander - You may get a bit of box noise so you'll have to really listen a lot and make sure the speaker isn't too bright or hollow sounding. The 602S3 standmount is about as big and bold as you'll fnd for the money - so if that doesn;t impress look at floorstanders. The Audio Note AX Two $550.00) I'd consider as well because it has fuller weight dynamics and depth but there's still a limit as to how loud you can play. I think it's a better sounding speaker than the 602 though.

eroom1369
02-09-2005, 09:14 PM
The reality is you're not going to get what you're after - I suspect you want a big rocker ballsy sound - and most standmounts can't do it - the B&W N805 is $2k and it's laughable for big rock. The Paradigm suggestions are resoanble but again for rock with bass at volume? Umm no.

There is no crime in buying a floorstander - You may get a bit of box noise so you'll have to really listen a lot and make sure the speaker isn't too bright or hollow sounding. The 602S3 standmount is about as big and bold as you'll fnd for the money - so if that doesn;t impress look at floorstanders. The Audio Note AX Two $550.00) I'd consider as well because it has fuller weight dynamics and depth but there's still a limit as to how loud you can play. I think it's a better sounding speaker than the 602 though.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not against floor standers per se. It's more of a size issue. I think bookshelf speakers are more musical, and dont have to be cranked up to get nice sound. I don't want a big rocker ballsy sound, I just want a nice bookshelf that doesn't sound thin and fatiguing. The B&W 602s3 is a speaker that I'm considering.

RGA
02-09-2005, 10:14 PM
The 602S3 is a terrific under-apreciated speaker for the money - I'd take it over the 705 - the latter has a smoother tweeter less box resonance and a more refined speaker --- but it's incredibly boring to listen to because it's atrocious dynamically and lacks bass.

I'm an Audio Note homer but look for a dealer and see if one is near you - I think it will surprise you - At $550.00 directly against the 705 the AX Two was easily better espeically on vocals and piano - very few speakers get that bang on - At $550 they are hand built in Denmark and use very good Vifa drivers 90db sensitive. They are also Far far smaller than the 602

You can go to their distributors page http://www.audionote.co.uk/

The 602 is a good choice mind you and much easier to find etc...but the AX two is worth a try.

heywood
02-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Try some Klipsch Rb-30's. Very efficient, fast, loud. on all types of music, or a used pair of Klipsch Rf-75's.
These are medium sized monitors. They would also do wonderful with a small tube amp

theaudiohobby
02-10-2005, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not against floor standers per se. It's more of a size issue. I think bookshelf speakers are more musical, and dont have to be cranked up to get nice sound. I don't want a big rocker ballsy sound, I just want a nice bookshelf that doesn't sound thin and fatiguing. The B&W 602s3 is a speaker that I'm considering.

If it is big bass that you want, then the B&W 602s3 is probably the one to go for, as its larger cabinet volume and bass hump produce bigger bass at the expense of the some boxiness and it is also a very sensitive speaker @90dB freefield. The higher priced standmounts tend to go for a more neutral sound (i.e. no mid bass hump).

bargainseeker
02-10-2005, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not against floor standers per se. It's more of a size issue. I think bookshelf speakers are more musical, and dont have to be cranked up to get nice sound. I don't want a big rocker ballsy sound, I just want a nice bookshelf that doesn't sound thin and fatiguing. The B&W 602s3 is a speaker that I'm considering.I recommend that you audition the Energy C-3 (http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=25) at one of your local Energy speaker dealers (http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/dealer/index.php). It is a neutral sounding bookshelf loudspeaker in your price range that doesn't under- or overemphasize any frequencies (see this SoundStage review (http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c3.htm)). I think that the C-3 will serve as a good benchmark. From your reactions to the sound of this loudspeaker, I and others can give you some targeted recommendations on what other speakers you may prefer.

Thomsoad
02-10-2005, 05:06 PM
I think you would love the Infinity BETA series. As long as you are only looking for a pair of bookshelves, I think this would nicely fit your bill

twwesn
02-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Although I've never heard them, if I had an extra $328 laying around and the need for another set of bookshelf speakers I would try the Ascend Acoustics CBM 170's. They get nothing but praise on this and other sites although you will have to buy them online (but they do have a 30 day guarantee.) Check out their review on this site.

axelsrd
02-16-2005, 06:28 PM
I just bought a pair of Klipsch RB-35 for my 2 channel setup and they sound great. I was shocked at the bass these puppies put out. Got them on eBay for $300.

thedude1
02-16-2005, 06:31 PM
i would strongly consider the B&W 602s3's. i used to have the klipsch ksb3.1's.they were good, powerful sounding speakers. but there were many times when i felt the horn tweeters were too 'up front' and fatiguing. so i auditioned the 602's,the polk rti6,the paradigm mini monitors, and the infinity alpha 20's(ALL in my home,together!!!!).sounds crazy,but i wanted to do it right. the 602's were the only speakers that stayed neutral and even sounding, from highs to lows, with any music,male or female vocals.the other speakers sounded good,but when i turned up the volume, i felt the highs over time would start to annoy me.(even my wife agreed,who normally couldn't care less,but was intrigued when she saw all those speakers lined up in our family room!!)and because of the cabinet size, the bass is there aplenty.my second favorite were the mini monitors,but the tweeter in the 602's won me over.i also like the fact that the 602's are ported in the front(the mini's are ported in the rear)so placement close to a wall is not as much of an issue.keep in mind that this is only my opinion and your ears may hear the opposite,but i hope it helps you out. good luck!!!

dschoellkopf
03-01-2005, 10:23 AM
I have a similarly sized room and I would like to make a recommendation for bookshelf speakers. I have the Axiom m22tis and they are phenomenal! The midrange on these speakers is outstanding and the bass is plenty good. I will admit that I bought a HSU VTF-2 sub which gives the music some added punch, but the speakers even without the sub are hard to beat for $440. Axiom support staff are great and you can try the speakers for 30 days to see if you like them. If you don't like them Axiom will refund your money (but you are out the shipping costs). Good luck with your search.