Which Yamaha Reciever? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which Yamaha Reciever?

wojman
02-08-2005, 03:38 PM
I currently have an RX-V620 and I am looking to upgrade, but not break the bank. I have an opportunity to pick up the RX-V2400 and the RX-V3000, both at a reasonable and comparable price. Which reciever should I go with? Am I buying old technology with the 3000 which is a few years older? I know the 2400 can do 7.1, but what dvds are out there? Also, is it possible to "fake" 7.1 through Yamahas DSP modes? I know the 3000 has front effects (25W x 2) which I imagine has a DSP mode. I believe the 3000 is 100 x 6 channels and the 2400 is 120 x 7. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

paul_pci
02-09-2005, 01:14 AM
Think features rather than age. I think you're correct to dismiss 7.1 as a selling point, but the reasont to go with the 2400 would be the advantage in the features, such as YPAO which will automatically calibrate the receiver accordingly to your speaker distance and room acoustics, which I don't believe the 3000 has. My receiver (3300) has the front effects which I don't use due to room size and not necessarily caring what it would add at this point. I say, simply compare the different features, not the watts per channel, and think about which you think you'd enjoy best.

Worf101
02-09-2005, 07:13 AM
You're trading convenience and features for a more powerful receiver. I just put together a system for a friend who went with the 1500. I was very impressed with that receiver. If I were buying a new rig today, that's probably what I'd go with. In my last main set up I did the same thing you're contemplating, I went with an older Onkyo 898 for the same money a newer 801 would've cost me. More amp with no web based radio. I personally would probably go with a 1500 if you've one available, 7.1 and a new and improved version of YPAO which was/is impressive.

Da Worfster