question about yamaha rxv 650 and speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : question about yamaha rxv 650 and speakers

MomurdA
02-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Just bought yamaha rxv 650. I need to pick out some speakers for it. I am very new to all of this stuff. I was thinking about getting some magnepan mmgs, and then a sub. the rxv 650 is rated at 95 watts x 7 @ 8 ohms(i think, im at work right now) the mmgs are 4 ohm speakers. Will i be able to hook up these mmg right to my receiver, or will i have to use the l/r pre out and get myself a separate stereo amp. If i can hook them up directly, will i be able to hook up 'regular' 8 or 6 ohm speakers on the other channels without problems?

toenail
02-10-2005, 01:11 PM
That receiver should have a 4 ohm switch on the back. It will allow you to drive those speakers without damaging the amplifier section. I believe the center and surrounds need to be 6 ohm or higher when the mains are set for 4 ohm.

oddeoowphil38
04-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Just bought yamaha rxv 650. I need to pick out some speakers for it. I am very new to all of this stuff. I was thinking about getting some magnepan mmgs, and then a sub. the rxv 650 is rated at 95 watts x 7 @ 8 ohms(i think, im at work right now) the mmgs are 4 ohm speakers. Will i be able to hook up these mmg right to my receiver, or will i have to use the l/r pre out and get myself a separate stereo amp. If i can hook them up directly, will i be able to hook up 'regular' 8 or 6 ohm speakers on the other channels without problems?

Hello there I am a newbie here. I also have the yammie 650 and I love it!!! Currently, I am using MTX AAL212B towers for my fronts and they rock. The rest of my speakers are Paradigm and I love them. I plan on getting some monitor 3's for my fronts and take back my MTX towers because of their size. Heck, each one comes with (2) twelves and I also have a Ps-1000 v4 Paradigm sub and it is awesome but space is becoming a problem. If you can be sure to listen to paradigm speakers b4 making your choice. Good luck.