What's doin' in the UK lately? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's doin' in the UK lately?

jasn
02-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I've been a Brit-Rock fan through more trends than I care to admit, but I can't say much about what's going on lately. Anybody investing much in things from over there? (or at home, if you are Mike)

Stone
02-08-2005, 01:46 PM
I've been a Brit-Rock fan through more trends than I care to admit, but I can't say much about what's going on lately. Anybody investing much in things from over there? (or at home, if you are Mike)

You don't like this?

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg500/g524/g52454jdmsg.jpg

I've read some reviews of the Graham Coxon album that weren't really all that sparkling, but AMG seems to really like it. Have you heard it?

Davey
02-08-2005, 02:46 PM
I really like the new Mercury Rev. I know what you're thinking - but Dave, aren't they from upstate New York or someplace like that!? I mean, that's not British, is it? Well, you're absolutely right, but it sounds more British than a lot of britpop and you can only buy it in the US as a EU import right now, so there!

I don't know. I read more about britpop than actually listen to it. But I do really like that Futureheads album. And Carina Round is more alt-rock like PJ Harvey, but I like her last Disconnection album lots too. And those charming Electrelane chicks, but I think you already know about them. I know, check out my latest fave in the Tuesday thread by Lockgroove. Oh wait, they're britpop shoegazers from Boston. Nevermind. Guess I got nothin :rolleyes:

Mike
02-09-2005, 03:01 AM
Yeah I guess you could say there is a bit of a Britpop/70s/80s revival thing going on at the moment. Being a Brit I follow the trends I suppose but one of the resons I hang around here is I prefer music your side of the pond probably cos my older sister when I was younger listened to Eagles, Poco etc and these things tend to rub off on you.Over the years I naturally progressed to Alt Country/Americana sound even though I'm not sure what exactly that is now but the last couple of albums I picked up were Over The Rhine, Mark Lanegan, Pinback and American Analog Set.

Saying that thinking about it I've picked up a fair few recent Britpop albums that might people might like round. Word of warning though Britpop or Indie Britpop tends to be just that which might not appeal to some

Kasabian - Kasabian, sounding very much like The Charlatans to my ears but good

Razorlight - Up All Night, I can heartily recommend this one

Graham Coxon - Happiness in Magazines, IMO it's a keeper

Ordinary Boys - Over The Counter Culture, sounding a lot like the the Jam but still good

The Libertines - Libertines, IMO it turned out to be a pretty good album after all

Franz Ferdinand - What can I say I didn't care much for it at first but it go to me in the end they are all over the press at the moment with the Brit awards, but the second album will tell.

Athlete - Tourist, if you liked the first album you will like this

Feeder - Pushing the Senses, again it follows on from Comfort In Sound but a little softer

Embrace - Out Of Nothing, a really strong but not rocking album inspired by the Oasis period

Thirteen Senses - The Invitation, likened to Coldplay/Radiohead but I don't hear much of that, only had it a day or two so it's early days

Then there's people like Snow Patrol, Futureheads, Keane, Streets, so looking back things look pretty good so far thankfully we seem to have finally moved away from that manufactured pop crud and back to real bands.

Maybe I should put a comp together of just recent Brit stuff which might only be available as import for you guys although with so many people buying over the web maybe it's not a problem. Let me know if there is any interest.

Cheers
Mike

jasn
02-09-2005, 06:13 AM
Ah, yes...The Futureheads. I'll pick this up and pay better attention next time. Thx Mike too for some other recommendations.