Subwoofer recs... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer recs...

MarkM13
02-07-2005, 02:54 AM
Hi there,

I'm looking for a subwoofer to complete my HT system. I currently have a 12" front firing Energy that's on loan and I have to return in the near future. For speakers I just picked up a Definitive Technology set of BP6 towers, a C2 center and a pair of Promonitor 100s for the rear. I'm considering completing the system with a Def. Tec. ProSub 100 or 200 but, at a avg price of $500, it's more than I wanted to spend. (esp. since I spent dbl what I planned on the speakers.

I was considering 10" subs by Dayton Audio and Audiosource as well as a 12" by MTX. All of these finished subs I found at Parts Express. The prices are sure right but, if they are sub-par units, I'd rather the extra for something else. Has anyone had any experience with these units?

Feel free to offer any sugguestions that aren't mentioned here.

FWIW; I should mention I really don't like the sound of the Energy sub. Even with the crossover carefully set it just sounds muddy and unfocused. I was considering stepping down to a 10 for this reason, but still want to be able to feel a bass drum right in the chest.

Thanks,
Mark

kexodusc
02-07-2005, 04:45 AM
Hi there,

I was considering 10" subs by Dayton Audio and Audiosource as well as a 12" by MTX. All of these finished subs I found at Parts Express. The prices are sure right but, if they are sub-par units, I'd rather the extra for something else. Has anyone had any experience with these units?

Feel free to offer any sugguestions that aren't mentioned here.

FWIW; I should mention I really don't like the sound of the Energy sub. Even with the crossover carefully set it just sounds muddy and unfocused. I was considering stepping down to a 10 for this reason, but still want to be able to feel a bass drum right in the chest.

Thanks,
Mark

I'm not sure I've heard the particular Energy sub you are talking about here, but let me dispel any notion that a 12" is the cause of any of the problems you are experiencing.
A 10" has just as much chance of sounding as muddy, but with less lower bass extension and output, not exactly a step up.

It's very possible your subwoofer's placement and setup is causing you the grief rather than poor performance of the sub itself.

There's quite a few good DIY sub options available. I'm more familiar with the Dayton line. Without knowing your exact budget, I'd probably recommend you consider the Dayton Quattro's. These are very highly thought of and not very expensive at all. The PE forum seems to feel these are among the best bang-for-the-buck subs out there right now. If you can spring for the Titanic MKIII's, even better.