Axiom Systems [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Axiom Systems

jamison162
02-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Any opinions on Axiom's speaker systems. What about their subs? I've been looking at them for a while, they have the 30 day trial period. Or...should I just go out to CC or BB and get whatever sounds best.

Shwamdoo
02-06-2005, 10:08 PM
I have never heard any of Axiom's equipment, so, unfortunately I can't lend you any advice there. However, I can strongly recommend that you should go out to a few retailers and hear what they have to offer before making a decision. I think it's a fun experience to audition stereo equipment and you will probably be much happier with your purchase than if you had just taken an advertisement's advice on what to buy.

The 30 day trial period is enticing because it allows you to hear the equipment before making a final decision. However, Axiom and many other manufacturers know that if a customer takes a product home they are liable to keep it. It is a marketing technique which is very appealing. That being said, you probably shouldn't buy any equipment that you haven't listened to before anyways. From what I have discovered, this is a world of opinions and misinformation and the only way to decide what is right for you is to hear it for yourself. Sure, technical information and advice from others can help lead you where to go and what to look for but in the end you simply have to listen to it in order to make a decision.

Also, I don't know what your listening needs are but you may find a better selection of equipment by visiting different vendors than Circuit City or Best Buy. Stores that specialize in home audio equipment tend to have gear with better performance and value along with a more a more knowledgeable staff.

Just my advice, take it or leave it. Goodluck!

kexodusc
02-07-2005, 04:53 AM
The only recent model Axiom's I've heard are my M3Ti's. To me they are fairly priced speakers, certainly not giant killers, but not bad.
Comparing them to some popular Paradigm's, I'd put them in between the Titans and Mini Monitors in terms of sound quality, not as much bass, and a little on the bright side. Probably closer to the Mini Monitors, they do sound much better than the Titans. Very nice finish too.
All in all they're not bad speakers, and maybe a pretty good deal,especially if you were to buy a complete HT system. But to me they aren't a whole lot better, than speakers of similar price you can buy at a local store.
Take anything you read from some Axiom owners with a grain of salt...I've had some tell me these are better than Paradigm's Studio 20's (which I also own). They aren't even close, but they only cost 1/3 as much. Sometime's these Axiom owners can get carried away, I think...

I tend to avoid the Axiom forum on their website, but there's usually a lot of people that are happy to let interested parties listen to their speakers. Might be worth a look for you if you're interested.

GeneticDrift
02-07-2005, 01:19 PM
I have auditioned quite a few Axiom Speakers including the M60's, M22's, M3's, QS8's, and the VP-150

I can without reservation suggest the M60's, in my opinion they are a great speaker for the money.

I did not find the M22’s, M3's, QS8's, and the VP-150 to be to my liking.

I suggest auditioning as much as you can, check your local dealers and see what they have to offer. In the end its your money and your ears, be happy with your decision.

My Equipment:
Harmon Kardon AVR630
Axiom M60’s Fronts (Paradigm Studio 100’s soon)
Paradigm Studio CC-470 Center
Paradigm Studio 20’s Surrounds
Harmon Kardon DVD-101
2.6gig HTPC W/Audigy2, 7.1, direct coax
XBoX
Samsung 50” DLP
SVS 20-39 PC+

nightflier
02-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I used to be more enthusiastic about my Axiom setup than I am now, but I've been spoiled by speakers I can't afford (Dynaudio's). I have to disagree slightly with Kexo, though. He says that the M3ti's are not much better than the CC & BB stuff, and I don't think that's entirely correct. BB sells the lower end stuff from Klipsch, JBL and Athena, and that stuff really isn't up to snuff. CC does a little better with Polk and Infinity, and the fact that they have better service. Personally I've come to like both Polk and Infinity and for the price they are decent values. Axiom is a notch above those but at about the same price. The M3ti does lack in the bass but if you're thinking 5.1 with a sub, then they are just fine.

I have a 7 speaker Axiom setup (VP150, M22ti, QS4, M2i) paired with one of the higher end SVS subs. Because of the sub, I decided not to get Axiom towers for FL/FR, and because I actually like for my sub to do the work it was supposed to do. What I like most about my setup is that I've thrown everything I have at theses speakers and they stayed with me. Axiom speakers are well built, the specs are very good, and the service is excellent (I have even spoken with the owner). If I had to do it over I'd get more expensive speakers, but I don't have that kind of money. At their price point the Axioms are a lot better than what you'll find at CC or BB. And they are a lot better than what you'll get from Aperion (despite their excellent service), Streem, Fluance, BIC America, or the other online-only companies. I just purchased a pair of Ascend Acoustics, so I'm really itching to compare them to the Axioms.

Now I haven't heard any of the Axiom subs (back when I bought my setup, they didn't have as many). I am impressed with the specs on their massive EP600. It's not pretty, but the numbers seem impressive. If you have the room for that kind of sub, I think everyone here would like to know what it can do, so write back if you decide to go with Axiom.

One more thing: yes, you should audition speakers before making this decision, but hearing them in the store is not the same as hearing them in your home. Many stores like Good Guys give you a really hard time if you return something, and that is crap. If it doesn't sound good in your home, you should not have to keep it. Stick with vendors and manufacturers that allow you to audition the equipment in your home.

kexodusc
02-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Easy there nightflier, I never brought the BB or CC brands into this at ALL. Nor would I. I just believe that Axiom's claims of passing great savings on to customers and competing with speakers twice the price are BS...they're just another flavour of speaker to me, not worse, but not really better....I'd put them up there Paradigm, Energy, PSB, Mission, etc speakers around the price range...maybe a wee bit more, compared to some, but the shipping bugs me a little.

One thing have noticed about the Axioms...mine excel with absolutely no toe in at all...really tames the brightness and creates a wide soundstage.

Interesting you brought BIC America into the discussion, my cousin and I recently bought a few modified BIC America DV-62CLRS speakers. At $320 for the pair, these things completely shocked us at how good they sounded, much better than my Axioms, and better than my cousin's Monitor 5's...check out the review I wrote...they're kind of ugly, but built of solid MDF, not particleboard, and not cheap Chinese stuff like you might expect.

Kaiser Sosze
02-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Well I just started auditioning speakers, and figured "what the hell" and order the Axioms for home trial with all intentions of returning them if they don't satisfy me. I read a bunch reviews, and some advice of trying them out before you make a purchase on a bigger brand, If anything I'll save money and be able to have a extra pair for a channel if I choose them.
I did hear some other brands last weekend which I liked alot and want and will compare them to the Axioms , tthey will have to convince me more than the B&W's I listened to. So by this weekend I can give a personal (amatuer) review
I'm assuming by what I read, if they are at least not equal to speakers double the price, that they are a great value for the money
I ordered the M22's, QS8, VP100 ( center)

jamison162
02-07-2005, 07:13 PM
I researched Polk Audio today at Crutchfield and other websites then went and listened to some bookshelves and centers at Sound Advice. Not sure about their subs but I'm going with Polk for my main speakers. They sounded phenominal and you can't beat the price with a stick - much cheaper than Axiom and a pleasant surprise. The bookshelves are a little bigger than I thought (a good thing) and are made very very well. I'm going with the RTi4's for the fronts ($260), the bipole FXi3's for surrounds ($350) and the CSi3 for center ($200). I'll pick up the center in a separate order for $50 using the $150 Crutchfield Gift Card I'll get from purchasing the fronts and surrounds. Now tell me that ain't a good deal! Free shipping and no sales tax to boot. Total comes in at $660, sweet. The lowest priced Axiom system is $1,254 (including sub) and I haven't even heard them yet. Glad I checked into the Polk stuff. Give em a listen.

nightflier
02-08-2005, 10:33 AM
I can't argue there. I own a pair of older Polk towers that I like very much. That said, their subs are sub-par (IMHO). They just don't compare to Velodyne, Hsu or SVS. This is surprising since Polk speakers typically don't excel in the bass. For your setup, make sure you get a solid sub to go with it. Crutchfield is great on service, no argument there either, but their selection (brands and models) has become much smaller, compared to what they used to carry.

Good luck.

nightflier
02-08-2005, 01:27 PM
...Interesting you brought BIC America into the discussion...

Kexo, I'm curious what kind of modifications you are talking about. And you bought a pair of center speakers? Did you want to use them as L/R speakers? I heard that was a bad idea. In looking at the specs, the DV62CLR-S does go very low, and looks impressive.

I mentioned BIC mostly because they are an online-only company. I only heard the DV52si's and I did not think they were standouts. I am also curious about their Acoustech series. They are smaller and lighter than Klipsch (I'm a big fan), but are supposed to keep up with them pretty well and cost about half as much. I also wonder about their other towers. With more drivers for the price they should sound much better than a comparably priced Axiom tower.

Anyhow, just wondering....

kexodusc
02-08-2005, 02:31 PM
I can't speak for the BIC America DV 52si's, but they are only about $120 or so most places I see them and I guess you get what you pay for.
We bought the DV-62CLRS to use as center speakers with some DIY speakers I have. The speakers are modified by Ed Frias of EFE technology to timbre match the main speakers. I replaced a Studio CC with the DV-62CLRS, now I won't be so bold to say that it trumps the Paradigm - it doesn't, but my cousin and I both knew that it outperformed his CC-370.
The speaker has a completely different crossover which essentially makes it an entirerly different speaker than the stock version. According to Ed, BIC did just about everything they could to screw up the crossover. The new xo consists of much higher quality components, and addresses many of the issues the old speaker had. Also the drivers (I believe generic Seas or Vifa units) are tolerance tested and matched, to ensure they are tuned to each other properly, the speaker has a new gold plated terminal cup, and a few other tweaks as well.
At $160 I am absolutely thrilled by it. Not many speakers under $600 use solid MDF cabinetry. Most use a cheap particle board. It's ugly but it sounds good with no resonance issues.
Most importantly, its voiced to match the Peerless drivers in the EFE DIY kit until I figure out a crossover design that works with these drivers and make my own.

We each bought one and at Ed's suggestion tried them as MTM bookshelfs for a few days before taking each...Greg had Monitor 5's before, and that was our reference point.

I'm not shilling for BIC America, as I've not heard any of their stock speakers, I do know that Ed made these sound incredible for $160, proof that speakers don't have to cost a bunch.

RGA
02-08-2005, 08:01 PM
The thing is you can easily get dealers to ship you speakers for home auditioning. i could phone up my dealer and have them ship me a speaker etc to try out and if I like it I keep it otherwie I send it back...There was a fellow on another board who asked to have the Audio Note AX Two standmount auditioned. Tried it out for a little while, liked em kept em.

Granted you would likely be on the hook for the return shipping - but that is the case with Axiom - if Axiom is remotely the same as Paradigm then IMO, granted in hindsight, I'd try something that doesn't really get compared to something I can have access to at a bigger box chain. Ie; if speaker A(which is internet only) kinda sounds the same as speaker B (which is easily accessable. Then if you really love speaker B it might be worth buying speaker A if you save big money. If however, speaker B isn't all that great to your ear why on earth would you go for speaker A. I'd try speaker C, D, or E over the net.

The AX Two is easy to drvie has solid tuneful bass response at an attractive price $550.00US.

kexodusc
02-09-2005, 04:42 AM
RGA's quite right...I didn't get my M3Ti's by internet order, I got them on a trip to Canada from a store that still carried Axiom.

As for the AX two, it's not a bad speaker per se, but to me it sounded no better than every other $500 dollar speaker out there, unusual for AN which to me always offered exceptional values in their traditional "letter series" models...the AX Two didn't sound very AN to me at all.

RGA: I've heard a vicious rumour that the AN J and AN K's will be available in Kit form soon...any truth to that?

thereal_1_
02-09-2005, 07:12 PM
I auditioned the M22Ti for a few weeks but wasn't impressed with the sound so I shipped them back to Axiom via ground courier and got a credit within a few days after they inspected them. Although it was a close decision with the B&W 602 s3, I ended up paying a bit more to get the Paradigm Studio 20's v.3 and have been enjoying every minute of it.

Florian
02-10-2005, 05:25 AM
I think that in this kind of price catagory (up to a 1000$) there are many things that can go wrong and there are no real audiophile speakers. Personally id say give the AX a try and see if you like them.

Being a true Audiophile is a pain in the ass, i just spend 1030$ on cables alone for a 2 channel :(

Make sure they all have the same drivers and are on the same level tough. If i were you id start of with a good 2 channel and skip axicom and look for used Dynaudio, VMPS, Linn, Rega etc... but thats just me :D

I can also very highly recommend NewForm Research speakers. Well, see what you like best.