best way to get speaker wire to rears? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : best way to get speaker wire to rears?

HTenthusiast
02-06-2005, 04:31 PM
vaulted ceiling to so i cant go through attic
along the wall that i can run wires there is a doorway, and a sliding glass door to get around.
do you run the wires by the baseboard molding and then around the border of doorway etc?
how are they covered so theyre out of sight?

bjornb17
02-06-2005, 05:00 PM
i have a small gap under the baseboards that you cant see because the carpet, and i run my wires under them. When people come over, they ask me if my equipment is wireless because you cant see a single cable anywhere, it just looks like speakers sitting there not connected.

In my old house, i didnt have that luxury, so i used those little wire clamps you can nail into the wall and ran them along the bassboards, and then around the doorframe. its time consumning but it doesnt look all that bad, especially if you can find white speaker wire and clamps to blend in.

hershon
02-06-2005, 08:25 PM
All I do as my system is in my apartment living room is run all the speaker wires which are stapled on the edge of the rooms floor amd then over the door of my apartment where they're stapled and then in back of the couch as the back speakers are on the 2 end tables by the sofa. No wire in site unless you want to count the wire than borders the doors creases.

vaulted ceiling to so i cant go through attic
along the wall that i can run wires there is a doorway, and a sliding glass door to get around.
do you run the wires by the baseboard molding and then around the border of doorway etc?
how are they covered so theyre out of sight?

zepman1
02-07-2005, 07:00 AM
You can always drill a hole in the floor and run them between the joists in your basement. A lot of times there will be a hole in the floor anyhow where the Cable TV comes in. Then add a hole near your surround speakers, and hopefully you can hide the wires in the baseboards or behind a couch.

Otherwise if drilling holes in the floor isn't an option, the baseboards usually do the trick. The key if you don't have carpeting is to try to match the color of the wires to the floor and baseboards. They should be very hard to see.

HTenthusiast
02-07-2005, 07:46 AM
im in FL, no basemenet, hehe.

not sure if i can squeeze anything under the baseboards, theyre installed quite low and the carpet is brand new.

found these monster cable clamps (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00003CWCT/qid=1107791037/sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/103-7256254-8687025?v=glance&s=electronics) ill probably use those. anyone else have them?

cyberpac9
02-07-2005, 07:55 AM
we have a TV mounted from the ceiling in our breakfast area and needed to run cable and power cord down the wall and to the outlets....we used clamps exaclty like that.....we purchased white extension cord and white coax to blend in....as far as those clamps exactly, i went to wal-mart and purchased my clamps...got a 50 pack for like $1 or $2....i can only assume Monster brand is more expensive and they are exactly the same.....but they work wonders and hide things very well. good luck!

shokhead
02-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Under the house for my rears and i just add a throw rug when needed to go over the wires.

AVMASTER
02-07-2005, 01:10 PM
the simple way to do this ( especially with new carpet ) is to tuck the cable between the baseboard and the carpet. When you get to the doorway unwind a wire coat hanger, push one end of it thru the gap between the baseboard and carpet to the other side of doorway. Use some electrical tape to connect your speaker wire to it, then pull it back to the other side.
You could also buy fishtape from local hardware store and fish ( pull ) your wire under the carpet

ThreeDHomer
02-07-2005, 01:20 PM
I have used those a few times, but never really liked them. The nails are about 1/2" long and can be a real pecker to try to nail in. My wire liked to twist and turn inside the U as I tried to nail them up. Just my experience though. Lowe's or HD has a Adhesive Channel that comes in prefinished white that worked very well for me. You can fit a power line, speaker wire and LFE line in the Channel and it doesn't get bulky.

HTenthusiast
02-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Lowe's or HD has a Adhesive Channel that comes in prefinished white that worked very well for me. You can fit a power line, speaker wire and LFE line in the Channel and it doesn't get bulky.

that sounds like a nice solution.........what department was that in? the people at HD can never find anything when i ask them.

Lensman
02-07-2005, 09:12 PM
that sounds like a nice solution.........what department was that in? the people at HD can never find anything when i ask them.

You can also find a variety of styles (and see pics) of them here:

http://cableorganizer.com/surface-raceways/#A

Worf101
02-08-2005, 06:58 AM
im in FL, no basemenet, hehe.

not sure if i can squeeze anything under the baseboards, theyre installed quite low and the carpet is brand new.

found these monster cable clamps (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00003CWCT/qid=1107791037/sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/103-7256254-8687025?v=glance&s=electronics) ill probably use those. anyone else have them?
Well that no basement thing knocks out how I do it. Is the house flush with the gound or is there a crawlspace you might be able to use there.

Da Worfster