Need some input regarding my DVD problem. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need some input regarding my DVD problem.

Swish
02-06-2005, 03:14 PM
I bought a Panasonic RP-82 less than 2 years ago and it worked as well as advertised, at least until recently. I was watching a movie and, about 15 minutes into it, the picture started skipping and freezing up, and did so for quite some time. I thought it was a problem with the DVD movie until I tried playing another another one last night. I found that the first chapter played fine, but I had to skip thru the next 6 until it would work normally again, and it did thru the rest of the disc without any problems.

I guess this could be caused by dust on the laser, but why would it only cause problems on part of the DVDs? If it is dust, are there any products on the market that can clean the sucker without having to open the unit? Do those discs with the little brushed on them really work or could they damage the laser?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions you may have.

Swish

Slosh
02-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Problem is Panasonic's crappy laser module doesn't last (I know, I had two different Panasonics. Never again.)

As far as I can tell Pioneer is the only brand (that make their own transports) that has a good chance for a long, uneventful life. I have two Pioneers now and both have outlasted the Panasonics with no problems at all. An Elite DV59i should be in your future ;)

Swish
02-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Problem is Panasonic's crappy laser module doesn't last (I know, I had two different Panasonics. Never again.)

As far as I can tell Pioneer is the only brand (that make their own transports) that has a good chance for a long, uneventful life. I have two Pioneers now and both have outlasted the Panasonics with no problems at all. An Elite DV59i should be in your future ;)

I thought that when they went bad, they won't play anything properly. I was playing one of your favorites, that Super Furry Animals "Rings Around the World" DVD, and was only able to play the opening sequence, then tracks 8 thru the end. Are you saying that's possible when the module goes south? Also, is it worth repairing? Inquiring minds want to know?

Swish

Dale M
02-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi.
I have a Panasonic DVD and it also skips and stops on occasion, it seems like its just very sensitive to anything on the Disc,, one fingerprint can mess things up,, when this happens I run the disc under cool water and wipe all finger prints off with a soft towel,, might sound weird but its worked Every time.Give it a try, see what happens.
Dale M

Slosh
02-08-2005, 12:42 AM
I thought that when they went bad, they won't play anything properly.
It's skipping for no reason, isn't it?

When my RV80 died suddenly and without warning, I put my old A110 back in the system and that started skipping within a month. At that point I looked for all of the user reviews I could find on first and second generation players (this was back in 2002 and I wanted reviews from people who've had their players for at least three years, if not more) and Pioneer seemed to be the only one that lasts (at least among single player models. Didn't check changer reviews). My personal experience has been consistent with my 'research'

The only fix is to replace the laser module, at around $200. Then you'll be lucky to get another two years out of it. Cut your losses now. Don't feel too bad though. There are many people with multi-thousand dollar Sony and Philips SACD players in the same boat.

Swish
02-08-2005, 04:50 AM
Hi.
I have a Panasonic DVD and it also skips and stops on occasion, it seems like its just very sensitive to anything on the Disc,, one fingerprint can mess things up,, when this happens I run the disc under cool water and wipe all finger prints off with a soft towel,, might sound weird but its worked Every time.Give it a try, see what happens.
Dale M
that is my issue, although the first time I had trouble was with a rental DVD movie, and that one may have been dirty. The second one, though, was brand spanking new and I had just opened the box and popped it in. I'm very careful to handle them properly, so I know it was very clean. I will try this anyway, because you never know.

Thanks,
Swish

Swish
02-08-2005, 04:54 AM
It's skipping for no reason, isn't it?

When my RV80 died suddenly and without warning, I put my old A110 back in the system and that started skipping within a month. At that point I looked for all of the user reviews I could find on first and second generation players (this was back in 2002 and I wanted reviews from people who've had their players for at least three years, if not more) and Pioneer seemed to be the only one that lasts (at least among single player models. Didn't check changer reviews). My personal experience has been consistent with my 'research'

The only fix is to replace the laser module, at around $200. Then you'll be lucky to get another two years out of it. Cut your losses now. Don't feel too bad though. There are many people with multi-thousand dollar Sony and Philips SACD players in the same boat.

When these RP-82s were available, they were priced at $200 retail, so the repair would cost the same as the original price. That really sucks. Well, I guess if I can't fix the problem I'll probably be looking at that Elit DV 59i. Got a few bucks I can borrow Slosh? :rolleyes:

Thanks again,
Swish