Mitsubishi DLP [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi DLP

jamison162
02-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Anyone own any of the new Mitsu. 52" or 60" DLP's? Thoughts, comments, experience, shopping around opinions? I've noticed them but haven't given DLP any serious thought until now.

drseid
02-07-2005, 03:09 AM
I auditioned the 52 inch version of the Mits DLP before buying the 50 inch version of your Sony LCD.

To summarize my impressions... It had excellent detail, but I did not like the screen cover that came on it... It kind of made the set look dark. My first think was... "just remove the darn thing..." But Mits. says it is necessary for seeing the highest resolution abilities of the set, so it may not be removable without negative picture quality implications...

I ended up buying a Samsung 50 inch "Kirk" LCD RPTV pedestal set instead, before having to switch to Sony (looks like it came out of Star Trek).

I wanted to love the Sammy, but I found out (the hard way after purchase) that I am one of the 10% of the population that sees rainbow effects on DLP RPTV sets (all of them). These made me have to return the Sammy, as the rainbows gave me headaches... I later confirmed I saw them in each DLP RPTV model and brand (including the Mits)... You just have to wait for dark scenes with flashing lights... If you, your friends and family dont see them... Go for it if you like the picture quality better on the Mits... But definitely check first before unloading your Sony LCD (no rainbow effects).

The Sony was not as good looking a picture as the Sammy nor the Mits DLP, but by avoiding the rainbows, it was well worth the change *for me*... If I did *not* see the rainbows, I would have purchased either of the two DLP sets over it.

---Dave

zepman1
02-07-2005, 06:40 AM
My friend has the 60" Mitsubishi DLP and that is one sweet TV. It has one of the best pictures I have seen on an HDTV. Last nights Superbowl was awesome.

Its only downfalls are the same as for any DLP TV. I did not see any rainbows, but that really depends on the person more than the TV in a lot of cases. I beleive this set uses a newer chip than many of the other DLP's out there now, so that may help. And like mentioned before, the screen cover leaves something to be desired. It does a poor job of blocking glare in the room (too shiny).

But I would buy that TV in a second if I had $3500 to drop.

jocko_nc
02-07-2005, 07:37 AM
Check out the Toshiba DLP's, 52 and 60. I think they have the best picture in the class. For what its worth, the components may be a little better than most, the light engine and the DLP chip, which is a larger size that most others. ???. Check the individual specs. The "cinema" series is supposed to be their high-end, but several models of the basic model share identical specs. Hmmm.

Regardless, we have had a 52 inch going for a couple of weeks now. No rainbow. The colors these things put out are simply amazing. As projection, I would agree that a downside is the ability to produce a really dark picture. However, we are delighted.

A 52 should go for about $ 2700.00

I haven't even put a HD source to it yet! That is coming soon...

jocko

cyberpac9
02-07-2005, 08:03 AM
i have the Mits 52" and love it.....no rainbow effects (but like previously stated, i think that is up to the individual viewing it.) the screen that comes on it is not really supposed to be a glare screen...it's there as a protective layer for the screen behind it....Mits sells a glare screen, i think (i've seen it somewhere can't remember where)...but as far as color is concerned....if you buy any of these TVs get a calibration DVD...this will greatly improve the colors, image, sound, etc....worth the $20-50 (depending on which one you buy).

you need to sit down and compare the LCD and DLP models and see which one suits your needs. one major difference between the two - DLPs do not suffer from burn-in like LCDs do. may not be a major concern, but if you're spending $3K you may want to consider that too.

drseid
02-07-2005, 08:07 AM
i have the Mits 52" and love it.....no rainbow effects (but like previously stated, i think that is up to the individual viewing it.) the screen that comes on it is not really supposed to be a glare screen...it's there as a protective layer for the screen behind it....Mits sells a glare screen, i think (i've seen it somewhere can't remember where)...but as far as color is concerned....if you buy any of these TVs get a calibration DVD...this will greatly improve the colors, image, sound, etc....worth the $20-50 (depending on which one you buy).

you need to sit down and compare the LCD and DLP models and see which one suits your needs. one major difference between the two - DLPs do not suffer from burn-in like LCDs do. may not be a major concern, but if you're spending $3K you may want to consider that too.
Actually LCDs are extremely hard to burn in... It is Plasma TVs and regular RPTVs where burn in is a concern. One of the reasons why I chose LCD was burn in was *not* a concern... DLP does not really have burn in concerns either (as was already stated).

---Dave

cyberpac9
02-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Actually LCDs are extremely hard to burn in... It is Plasma TVs and regular RPTVs where burn in is a concern. One of the reasons why I chose LCD was burn in was *not* a concern... DLP does not really have burn in concerns either (as was already stated).

true...but if you're only comparing LCD to DLP, it is easier for LCDs to burn-in than DLP...very difficult....but possible nonetheless. :D

drseid
02-07-2005, 08:20 AM
true...but if you're only comparing LCD to DLP, it is easier for LCDs to burn-in than DLP...very difficult....but possible nonetheless. :D
Anything is "possible..." :-)

I would not use burn-in as a deciding factor for either format, as it really is not a factor. Now picture quality is another story entirely... I would take a good DLP set in a heartbeat over LCD, but unfortunately I can't due to those dreaded rainbows :-(

Of course, maybe someday a manufacturer will be able to produce a reasonably priced 3 chip DLP RPTV similar to some high-end DLP projectors already on the market... That will make the whole rainbow effect thing a moot point... I eagerly await that day...

---Dave

cyberpac9
02-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Anything is "possible..." :-)

I would not use burn-in as a deciding factor for either format, as it really is not a factor. Now picture quality is another story entirely... I would take a good DLP set in a heartbeat over LCD, but unfortunately I can't due to those dreaded rainbows :-(

Of course, maybe someday a manufacturer will be able to produce a reasonably priced 3 chip DLP RPTV similar to some high-end DLP projectors already on the market... That will make the whole rainbow effect thing a moot point... I eagerly await that day...

---Dave

yeah i wouldn't use that as the sole factor either...that's why i suggested he go look at them himself....cause no matter how much i love my tv...others may not. this is very diffucult to do because stores have the tv's set up in a way to look great in their store and may be a little deceptive. when we looked at tv's we considered an LCD but to us (and this is why you have to look at them yourself) the DLP looked a little more crisp.

i've heard of the rainbow effects and i was worried about that....luckily i didn't run into it. looked at this one at a local dealer and my wife had to smack me out of a trance.
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/televisions/details.asp?id=94

jamison162
02-08-2005, 06:47 AM
I went by Sound Advice to listen to some Polk Audio and got to check out some Mits. DLP's. I was not as impressed as I thought I would be, esp. for the price tag. What is the rainbow effect exactly? Is it only color related or what...I picked up on a lot of movement pixelation and some wierd kinda blurry looking areas at times. This was on an HD signal also. I don't know what to think. When I got home and looked at my 60" Sony LCD, I became even more confused. Both have their Pro's and Con's.

cyberpac9
02-08-2005, 06:59 AM
I went by Sound Advice to listen to some Polk Audio and got to check out some Mits. DLP's. I was not as impressed as I thought I would be, esp. for the price tag. What is the rainbow effect exactly? Is it only color related or what...I picked up on a lot of movement pixelation and some wierd kinda blurry looking areas at times. This was on an HD signal also. I don't know what to think. When I got home and looked at my 60" Sony LCD, I became even more confused. Both have their Pro's and Con's.

here is an explanation i've seen on other threads and i like:

"In laymans terms. A normal tv picture is made up of red, green and blue (RGB). The pictures made up by these three signals are presented to your eyes, on a crt, at the same time. With DLP technology (in broad terms) the RGB pictures are presented to your eyes one after the other, ie NOT at the same time. However, to fool your eyes into thinking its seeing the RGB pictures all at the same time the individual R,G,B pictures are shown very very quickly in succession one after the other. This can lead to a strange effect called ' the rainbow effect' if an object moves very quickly across the screen - the problem is most prevalent when the object moves so fast that as the individual R,G,B pictures are presented to your eye the object appears in a different position on what would otherwise be identical R,G,B pictures. A practical example - visualise a man facing you standing in the centre of the picture. He is waving his hand (as though he was waving goodbye to you !) very quickly. Look at his hand - you MAY see a rainbow effect around his hand - this is because his hand is moving very quickly in relation to the R,G,B pictures being presented to your eye. NOT everyone will see this effect, some MAY see the effect - there is no consensus and it is entirely subjective."

if you see it you'll notice it....if you don't see it, you're one of the majority. :)

the tv you were viewing was obviously not setup correctly (if you were watching HD). when i watch my 52" DLP in HD, the picture is as crisp and clear as i've seen (not saying crisper and clearer than a LCD necessarily, but one of the best i've seen). most of these sets (DLP and LCD) are not as crisp when viewing regular television in 480i and that is why when you go to the showrooms, they always have HD playing, or a DVD rather than local broadcasting in 480i. i'd test at another location and see what it looks like then.

drseid
02-08-2005, 07:25 AM
As someone who unfortunately *does* see the rainbow effect, what you are describing does not seem to fit my own experience... The rainbows flash all over the screen real quick... over and over and over again. This happens primarily when a light object is on a dark background. Definitely if you see them, you *will* know it, as it can be almost intolerable if you do. As Cyberpac9 correctly stated, the vast majority of people do *not* see them (about 90-95% of the population), so probably it was something else you saw...

---Dave

jamison162
02-08-2005, 09:56 AM
DRSeid...

How long have you had your 50" Sony? And what all have you done in adjustments, etc. I've not found the time to use my DVE DVD to calibrate it. Also how are you running your cable etc. I'm using straight component from the set-top-box. Have you tried a DVI yet? Also, I beleive that the Sony's DRC and all that is less effective or not at all on the analog stuff using component connections. From what I've read in the manual (which is a little confusing) the DRC functions don't work on Video inputs 5-7. Am I wrong here? I want to try and run my coax straight to the Sony then from the Sony's "To Converter" to the set-top box. Only thing is you have to change input sources. I couldn't tell a difference in the DRC options at all the other night. Do you think any of the new Sony LCD's are any better in respect to picture clarity and less pixelation?

drseid
02-08-2005, 12:51 PM
DRSeid...

How long have you had your 50" Sony? And what all have you done in adjustments, etc. I've not found the time to use my DVE DVD to calibrate it. Also how are you running your cable etc. I'm using straight component from the set-top-box. Have you tried a DVI yet? Also, I beleive that the Sony's DRC and all that is less effective or not at all on the analog stuff using component connections. From what I've read in the manual (which is a little confusing) the DRC functions don't work on Video inputs 5-7. Am I wrong here? I want to try and run my coax straight to the Sony then from the Sony's "To Converter" to the set-top box. Only thing is you have to change input sources. I couldn't tell a difference in the DRC options at all the other night. Do you think any of the new Sony LCD's are any better in respect to picture clarity and less pixelation?
I have had the Sony about 4 months now... I had it professionally calibrated by an ISF calibrator.

As for DRC, if that is the video "enhancer" then it is switched off with my set... As for cables, I use component video to connect my HDTV Cable Box and DVD player... I have not tried the DVI, but the ISF technician told me not to, so I have avoided using it.

---Dave

jamison162
02-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Hmm, interesting. So why was he against using the DVI connection.
Was your ISF calibration worth the $$$...Did it really make the PQ better?

drseid
02-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Hmm, interesting. So why was he against using the DVI connection.
Was your ISF calibration worth the $$$...Did it really make the PQ better?
Sorry, but I can't remember the reason he gave on the DVI... I think it was something with the picture quality, but I confess I have never seen it mentioned by anyone else...

As for the ISF Calibration being worth it... It *was* $500... So I think it is tough to justify... But I confess I am somewhat of a stickler for picture quality... So I would say it was worth it for *me*, but maybe not everyone else. The change in PQ was noticeable, but not a "vast" improvement...

---Dave

cyberpac9
02-09-2005, 07:15 AM
jamison162:

if you are still interested in any Mits line of DLP (or any other DLP/LCD for that matter) i would also suggest looking at http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/index.php.

they have an entire section devoted to manufacturers. this is one place i go to for my HDTV info and they are extremely informative and helpful.

jamison162
02-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Wow!, that site is awesome. But...I have so many more questions now. Gees...

cyberpac9
02-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Wow!, that site is awesome. But...I have so many more questions now. Gees...

sorry! :D i know how it is though, once you get involved, it's hard to stop. but once you look around in there, there are so many topics and great information. excellent source on HD and HD products. have fun!

randking
02-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Anyone own any of the new Mitsu. 52" or 60" DLP's? Thoughts, comments, experience, shopping around opinions? I've noticed them but haven't given DLP any serious thought until now.

I have the Zenith D52WLCD DLP Projection TV. Stay away! I've owned it for 8 months, been in the shop twice because it will not turn on. As soon as it's out of warranty I am taking it to the dump. In little bitty pieces. Would love to hear how the Mitsu behaves over time. Has anyone owned one for a long time (more than a year or two)?