Can someone help me? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me?

Jen Lopez
02-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Please help..........

I want to update my home theater system and I have a budget of $4000.00 for a new AV receiver and speakers. I like receivers from Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer in this order, and speakers from either Miller & Kreisel or Paradigm Or a receiver and speakers from any another reputable manufacture. I will appreciate any recommendation you can offer.

Thank you very much for your input.
J. Lopez

Jen Lopez
02-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Let's be nice.

WAF!
02-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Jen,

There are alot of possibilites out there. With your budget it may be stretching it a bit but I would be awfully tempted to go seperates and start with 2 speakers and a sub. Then save up and get the rest later. Outlaw audio makes some great gear and you could get a B-Stock pre pro/amp combo for about 2k. Or you could go used on the amp from Audiogon or EBAY. A pair of Paradigm Studio 20's would run you $800 and you could get an Hsu or SVS sub for under a grand.

enrique
02-06-2005, 12:12 PM
There are alot of possibilities with that budget.Listen and audition what you can.FWIW see if you can audition Rotel rsx1056 with B&W 603s3,lcr600 and 601s3.As far as subs are concerned most people rate the svs or hsu subs pretty high.I personaly have a def.tech. sub left over from my previous setup that i continue to use.

jasmit
02-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Jen - Like you, I'm a Denon fan. Given your budget, their AVR-2805 seems to be a good choice. I've never heard M&K, so I can't comment on them. As a Paradigm owner, I have no hesitation in recommending their Reference Studio line. For a 5.1 HT, you could consider Studio 40's as mains, the CC-470 as a center and 20's as rears. Assuming you had to purchase stands for the mains and rears and assuming you could negotiate 10 - 15% off of MSRP (or alternatively, assuming you couldn't get any discount but they threw in the stands), that might leave you enough for a sub in the $400 - $500 range. At that price point, an SVS PB10-ISD should be a strong contender.

If, after you factor in tax and perhaps new cables, etc., you find that you're going over your budget, you could easily go with Studio 20's all around.

As an alternative to Denon, I like enrique's Rotel suggestion, but with respect to speakers, I think that, to equal or best the Paradigm Studio line, you'd have to jump from B&W's 600 series to their 700 series and that would almost surely put you over budget.

Lensman
02-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Please help..........

I want to update my home theater system and I have a budget of $4000.00 for a new AV receiver and speakers. I like receivers from Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer in this order, and speakers from either Miller & Kreisel or Paradigm Or a receiver and speakers from any another reputable manufacture. I will appreciate any recommendation you can offer.

Thank you very much for your input.
J. Lopez

As another satisfied Denon/Paradigm user I second Jasmit's recommendation of the Denon AVR-2805 paired with Paradigm Studio speakers. Though separates are nice, standards for HT gear change constantly and receivers/amps have less of an impact on overall sound than speakers. So if you're wanting to get everything at once, I'd put the lion's share of the funds in the speakers. You might even consider the 2105 as it would allow you to allocate more for a sub.

I'd vary Jasmit's selection of speakers just a little as you say this is for home theater use. I'd choose the Studio 20s as mains with the better CC-570 center. For 5.1, and if your room permits, the ADP-470 bipole surrounds are excellent. Though more Studio 20s as rears may provide better flexibility for music use or a precurser to a 7.1 setup. Again, this leaves you with $400-$500 (plus another $100 or so with the 2105) for a sub. While Paradigm makes decent subs, you'll get more bang for your buck in this price range with other brands such as Hsu, SVS or Velodyne.

N. Abstentia
02-07-2005, 07:45 AM
No hesitation here to suggest Paradigm Studio's as well..especially when compared to M&K.

And as others said, unless you're wanting a sub at the level of the Servo 15 from Paradigm, look into SVS subs. At $1300-ish the Servo 15 is hard to beat, but if you're looking at the $500-$800 range then SVS is better bang for the buck.

shokhead
02-07-2005, 08:56 AM
You can get a BStock 2805 from Dakmart.com for $670 and a 2105 which is just about the same for $470. Find speakers you like and wait,they always go on sale. How does markw know you have a nice butt? Pics? LOL

jasmit
02-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Lensman:

I'd vary Jasmit's selection of speakers just a little as you say this is for home theater use. I'd choose the Studio 20s as mains with the better CC-570 center. For 5.1, and if your room permits, the ADP-470 bipole surrounds are excellent. Though more Studio 20s as rears may provide better flexibility for music use or a precurser to a 7.1 setup.

Jen and Lensman: There's certainly nothing wrong with the 20's as mains; that's what I use as mains. Also, there's certainly nothing wrong with using the ADP-470's. The only reason I suggested the 20's as surrounds was to save a little money. However, I question the use of the CC-570 in lieu of the CC-470. The CC-570, while an excellent center channel speaker and is mentioned by Paradigm as being able to be used with the 20's in one of their recommended systems, its drivers are different than the 20's. The drivers of the CC-470 more closely match those of the 20's. I've never actually compared (listened to) the two centers with the 20's, but I would think that the CC-470 should be more closely timbre matched to the 20's.