I need some advice. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice.

Steven C.
02-05-2005, 04:09 PM
I am not new to home theatre. I jumped on the bandwagon way back when. Techniques receiver, Panasonic DVD, Bose Acoustimass early generation stuff but I am ready to go big screen and I am out of touch. This is my shopping list: Denon AVR-3805 receiver, Toshiba 62HMW84 DLP, Toshiba SD5970 DVD. A big part of my decision came down to HDMI compatibility between the TV and the DVD. BUT, the Denon doesn't have it! Is there any advantage to an HDMI connection to the receiver. If not, why all the attention to video inputs on the receiver in the first place. Is it just convenience or am I missing something? OK, HDMI single cable to the DVD, and what audio connection to the receiver for the best sound reproduction? Thanks guys/gals, I really can't get trusted advice locally. Steven C.

Wireworm5
02-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Scroll down to bottom of the page or try a search. HDMI vs component has been discussed. My understanding is HDMI/HDCP is a form of copy protection. On the newer units and on an HDTV you won't get an HD picture without it. And with my HDTV the source has to be 1080i. If the source is not 1080I than you don't need an HDMI cable.
Just my .02 cents.

N. Abstentia
02-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Hmm...I'd probably upgrade those speakers first and foremost....

Steven C.
02-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Scroll down to bottom of the page or try a search. HDMI vs component has been discussed. My understanding is HDMI/HDCP is a form of copy protection. On the newer units and on an HDTV you won't get an HD picture without it. And with my HDTV the source has to be 1080i. If the source is not 1080I than you don't need an HDMI cable.
Just my .02 cents.
Thanks for your response Wirewom5, I did as you suggested and checked out the HDMI discussion. It was informative, and a little over my head. But I am catching on. The DVD SD5970 is a throw-in for the TV purchase and I thought that the Toshiba match would make an appropriate fit. I don't really want to spend the extra cash on a DVD player that could easily be out of date with all the digital changes on the horizon.That having been said, should I just use component video cables from the DVD to the TV and a coaxial cable to the receiver? Toshiba talks about the 62HMX84 DLP having Crystal Scan Decoding capable of 720p (full time) and a component HD connection in addition to the HDMI so-called upconversion. We plan to go Digital satellite and we love our DVD's. What set up would deliver the best picture performance? Thanks again W5.

Steven C.
02-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Hmm...I'd probably upgrade those speakers first and foremost....
Thanks for your response. As a veteran user I respect your opinion. Speakers are next year; Paradigm Reference I think. But for now this is my dilemma. When I purchase the TV and DVD player I'll be left without a Digital decoder. You see, my present receiver doesn't have one. The DVD player does. New DVD player, no decoder and an opportunity to upgrade to the Denon 3805 which does all things well I understand. Does the fact the Denon doesn't support HDMI make any difference at all, or should I wait until the next generation does? Will I ever be able to do any better than the coaxial hook-up anyway? Also, for video, what is the advantage of sending the DVD or satellite signal through the receiver. Once again, I respect your views. Thanks, Steven C.

cyberpac9
02-07-2005, 08:22 AM
we have a Samsung up-conversion DVD player with our Mitsubishi 52" DLP....we have the DVD connected to the TV via HDMI/DVI cable and a Digital Optical cable for sound from DVD to receiver. with the upconversion player and HDMI/DVI, our DVDs are near HD...the picute is crisp and clear. i don't know if we would've even tried this (the cables are really expensive) but we were able to get a great deal on the cables...so we went with it.

don't know if that answered your question or not.

shokhead
02-07-2005, 08:40 AM
So if you have one HDMI on you reciever,tv and HD box,which do you use. I'm going with the one on my HD box so i dont care if my DVD player or reciever has it.

cyberpac9
02-07-2005, 08:47 AM
So if you have one HDMI on you reciever,tv and HD box,which do you use. I'm going with the one on my HD box so i dont care if my DVD player or reciever has it.

i'm sorry i told you everything i know about HDMI (and we have a built-in HD box so i don't have to worry about that one.). :) but, if i'm correct, i would use it for the DVD player only and not the HD box. HDMI from DVD to TV will give you the ability of up-conversion from your DVD player (if your DVD player is capable of that). this gives close to HD from DVDs. i don't think you gain much by going from HD box to Receiver, but i may be wrong.