Adire Audio Partheon in Action 175mm throw peak! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Adire Audio Partheon in Action 175mm throw peak!

Easy E
02-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Well here is the partheon in action with out its cone.

Quote from Dan himself:
"OK, you've asked for it, so Steven had a few minutes spare today and took some video. The Parthenon pumping away at 175mm peak to peak. Many drivers pray they can make it 1/3rd that amount. Even our Brahmas and Tumults won't do 70mm peak to peak. This goes a full 100mm beyond that.

http://www.woofervids.com/displayimage.php?album=7&pos=0
Enjoy!

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

PS: Power is from an AVA250 - 250W of power. Total. And we're running just half the voice coils...."

Anyway here is the link to the partheon for all you people who has never seen it.

http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/ParthenonPageFrameText.htm

Anyway enjoy.

Woochifer
02-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Wow, most impressive indeed. But, if I didn't already know what I was looking at, that device might be interpreted in any number of less savory ways. Been watching way too much 24 and their weekly interrogatorture fests, and that thing looks scarier than the props they've been using on that show!

midfiguy
02-10-2005, 02:54 PM
So how does something like this compare to a Velodyne Digital Drive 1812 Signiture or the SVSubwoofers B12-Plus/4, who both consider to be the most powerful subwoofers ever made?

I've never heard any, but wondering what kind of faceoff we can look forward to in the future!

Woochifer
02-10-2005, 03:42 PM
So how does something like this compare to a Velodyne Digital Drive 1812 Signiture or the SVSubwoofers B12-Plus/4, who both consider to be the most powerful subwoofers ever made?

I've never heard any, but wondering what kind of faceoff we can look forward to in the future!

From what I understand, that Parthenon motor with an 24" square diaphragm can extend flat down to 20 Hz at 121 db reference levels, with no box and no baffle. That's from just the driver sitting on a floor. And that air movement is equal to 12 of Adire's Tumult drivers (and the Tumult is already one of the most formidable drivers on the market)

Adire claims that this the most powerful motor on the planet, and at $5,000-8,000 it had better be! I don't know of anyone who's built an actual subwoofer with the Parthenon, but Adire says that it can drive 48" diaphragm with no problem. In that configuration, Adire's talking about 450L of linear displacement.

midfiguy
02-11-2005, 05:24 AM
Wooch, talk to me man...

...so a sub using the motor like this one, it can obviously play LOUD at low frequencies, no question about that.

How about extension? What are the lowest frequencies that can be expected from this sub?

Also, what about speed on these large drivers?

kexodusc
02-11-2005, 05:56 AM

Lol...Velodyne and SVS make great subs, but this is a whole 'nuther level.

250 watts of power!!! Kinda makes you wonder why all these subs are boasting huge amplifiers if the average consumer rarely draws more than 120 watts on loud peaks.

Woochifer
02-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Wooch, talk to me man...

...so a sub using the motor like this one, it can obviously play LOUD at low frequencies, no question about that.

How about extension? What are the lowest frequencies that can be expected from this sub?

Also, what about speed on these large drivers?

With a box and baffle aligned for maximum extension and a LOT of amplification, sheesh, it's scary to think what kind of extension this thing could have. A lot of it would depend on the cone is attached to the motor, and what kind of enclosure goes around it.

As far as speed, I have no idea. I've never heard a subwoofer larger than 18" before, so this is really uncharted territory.

Easy E
02-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Ok more information, low end extension, with a basket and seperating the rear wave from the front, your looking a F3 of about 6-7hz. Now you can customize this driver to have a F3 higher or lower. The Partheon is good up to about 60-80hz. Just because of its huge cone you can get cone breakup etc anything above that. To think about the output with just the 24" cone with the 175mm throw motor, that has as much output as 12 of 15" tumults. And a Tumult isnt petty change either, one ofthe highest throw 15s on the market. Now with the upgraded cone and more throw which is possible you are looking at 100 Tumults of linear output. Now that is moving some serious air. No one that I know of has gotten one yet, but I heard some rumors of people are going to buy them and use them. Some poeple want them for SPL contests, and others for a massive HT sub.

Easy E
02-11-2005, 02:15 PM
By the way moving mass and cone size doesnt directly effect how fast a woofer can play its based on the inductance of the woofer. And the Inductance on the partheon is pretty good. So that is not a problem.

Easy E
02-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Lol...Velodyne and SVS make great subs, but this is a whole 'nuther level.

250 watts of power!!! Kinda makes you wonder why all these subs are boasting huge amplifiers if the average consumer rarely draws more than 120 watts on loud peaks.

When the partheon is installed with a 24" cone with a basket in a box, it will need more then 250 watts of powe to reach full excursion. Remeber moving mass effects efficency and with out its cone on there the partheon is alot more efficent. But to reach its full excursion it wont require a ton of power. It depends on the model etc but the power requirment can be less then 2500 watts. This woofer is like 97DB efficent.

Worf101
02-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Wow, most impressive indeed. But, if I didn't already know what I was looking at, that device might be interpreted in any number of less savory ways. Been watching way too much 24 and their weekly interrogatorture fests, and that thing looks scarier than the props they've been using on that show!
It was in Backdoor S***s # 5. There wuz a lot of low frequency sound being produced... but NOT by that thing... Don't get me wrong.. it was involved in some manner but... nevermind..

Da Dirty Minded Worfster :cool:

kexodusc
02-13-2005, 11:26 AM
It was in Backdoor S***s # 5. There wuz a lot of low frequency sound being produced... but NOT by that thing... Don't get me wrong.. it was involved in some manner but... nevermind..

Da Dirty Minded Worfster :cool:

I mean, who wants to watch Backdoor S***s #4, "Son of Backdoor S***s"?
And that gardener...I know they needed to start the plot of somehow, but I just didn't find it believable that Mr. garden keeper went into the kitchen to get a drink of water at the same time them two vixens was watchin'...we all knew he just coulda taken a sip from the garden hose...
The industry just ain't tryin' no more :rolleyes:

Easy E
02-15-2005, 10:36 AM
I think you guys have gotten off topic because I am lost haha.

Lensman
02-15-2005, 10:08 PM
I can't help but think that if my wife saw this video, she'd just nod knowingly and say, "I always knew that's what this hobby was really about for you guys..."