JM Lab Electra...thoughts? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JM Lab Electra...thoughts?

MusicLG
02-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Auditioned and fell in love with the JM Lab Electra 926. A bit pricey, but they seemed to be the perfect compromise. Anyone have any knowedge, experience or thoughts about these? Thanks.
MusicLG

RGA
02-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Well if you love them you don't need us tlling you what to do. I was impressed by an electra home theater system and I also liked the Cobalts for the money - The metal tweeters in the Utopia were about as good as I've heard from metal tweeters - no spittyness or raspiness and a very well behaved speaker box - a little safe sounding but I could live with the Mezza Utopias.

The smaller JM Labs I would easily take over most stuff out there - and obviously you would too and you're the only person here that makes a difference.

I would suggest you try and listen the speakers against other speakers in the same room on more the one or two occasions. Sometimes strangely enough what sounded best one day may not on another - so you want to be sure. Always try and listen to acoustic instruments violin and piano etc. You want to see if the piano has a signifcant weightiness to it...you'd be surprised how many speakers make it sound thin or not very of apiece.

The JM Labs also are pretty tube amp friendly - I prefer High efficiency speakers and the minimum impedence is not too tough...this is good. The 926 is something like 40hz which may have you desiring more bass down the road.

So make sure it's got enough - if you end up wanting a sub then that's more money that could have been put to a bigger JM labs like the 946. Interestingly the 946 has a similar bass depth as my AN J standmounts! So I would be looking at how much they start running price wise - I remember the 946 because a dealer was running Copland tube amps and it worked quite well - The Coplands were a bit of a let down for me though given how much they cost. JM Labs doesn't seem to have bad habits that I have heard from most of the competitors. Indeed, this and the Dynaudio 82 are quite good not too exspensive floorstanders.

theaudiohobby
02-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Auditioned and fell in love with the JM Lab Electra 926. A bit pricey, but they seemed to be the perfect compromise. Anyone have any knowedge, experience or thoughts about these? Thanks.
MusicLG

A very good speaker but it has competitors that you should listen to, the Revel Performa series come to mind as well as the Audio Physics. The JM Lab Electra is a classic french sound, a bit of top end sparkle in that tweeter, but overall a coherent sound, good soundstage and bass when positioned correctly. They have above average sensitivity but are not necessarily tube friendly, I have heard the 946 bring an ASL (I think) to tears on a crescendo, the amp became totally confused in the orchestral climax. I think the Audio Physics are closer to the JM Labs in sound, though I will certainly listen to the Revels, they are impressive. What other speakers does that dealer sell?

MusicLG
02-05-2005, 09:00 PM
In addition to JM Lab, that dealer carries Paradigm and Monitor Audio. I went in with high expectations for the 2 latter speakers, but they didn't come close to the Electras.

theaudiohobby
02-06-2005, 12:13 AM
In addition to JM Lab, that dealer carries Paradigm and Monitor Audio. I went in with high expectations for the 2 latter speakers, but they didn't come close to the Electras.

Well, the Electras are good speakers, which MA models did you audition?

MusicLG
02-06-2005, 08:18 AM
I auditioned the MA S8, the G20 and the G60. The 60 with a sub initially blew my socks off (especially during the guitar solo at the end of G & R Novermber Rain)...until I heard the Electra.

RGA
02-06-2005, 10:20 AM
I'd take the Electra over the other two companies as well in all likelyhood. Is G&R Guns and Roses?

I would try listening t acoustic music - classical and Jazz as well. Though I think JM Labs will do it better as well.

MusicLG
02-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks RGA, I'm going back for a second listening and I will be taking acoustic music. The first time around, I brought music by Mannheim Steamroller, Tri Atma and an incredibly religious experience...Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Yes, G & R is Guns and Roses.

MusicLG
02-07-2005, 03:00 PM
I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V 2500 home theater 120W receiver. Will this work ok with the Electras? Thanks.