Blown 5.9in Midrange on my old a/d/s m12s...looking for help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blown 5.9in Midrange on my old a/d/s m12s...looking for help!

Camp Nou
02-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. Out of the blue, I started hearing buzzing coming from one of my midrange cones (the M12's have, from top to bottom, a 5.9in cone, a 1in. tweeter, and two 8.5 woofers)... It's been getting worse, and now I need to do something about it. Some CD's are worse than others, and it seems that some frequencies and tambors also buzz more than others.

A.) How can I be sure exactly what the problem might be? If there is a problem, what's repairable and what's not?

B.) My chances are slim for finding an a/d/s replacement - assuming that there's irrepairable damage, I'd need to replace the 5.9in in both speakers. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-P

bargainseeker
02-05-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. Out of the blue, I started hearing buzzing coming from one of my midrange cones (the M12's have, from top to bottom, a 5.9in cone, a 1in. tweeter, and two 8.5 woofers)... It's been getting worse, and now I need to do something about it. Some CD's are worse than others, and it seems that some frequencies and tambors also buzz more than others.

A.) How can I be sure exactly what the problem might be? If there is a problem, what's repairable and what's not?

B.) My chances are slim for finding an a/d/s replacement - assuming that there's irrepairable damage, I'd need to replace the 5.9in in both speakers. Any suggestions?Most likely, the problem is the midrange driver. To rule out other factors, try swapping the midrange drivers of your two M12 speakers. If the buzzing now occurs in the other speaker, then the midrange driver is the source of the problem. When swapping the midranges, make sure to keep track of which wire goes to the + terminal and always hook them up the same way.

For a replacement driver, try Upstairs Audio (http://www.upstairsaudio.com/specials.htm) which carries some replacement ADS drivers. One of the ADS woofers they carry may be the one used as the midrange for the M12 speakers.