Just Purchased the Studio/100 v3 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just Purchased the Studio/100 v3

the hand of boredom
11-14-2003, 12:36 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen:

My roommate and I are the new owners of brand-spanking-new Paradigm Reference Studio/100 v3 speakers. I think that Paradigm got'em right this time. The bass was definitely not as 'weighty' as the previous model, and the tweeter is alot smoother and warmer than before. The midrange is just as silky. Overall I think that this speaker is a winner for the $1900CDN we paid.

Obviously, I wanted to get those dang DeCapo's. But it is my roommates house and he felt that 1. the DeCapo's were alot of money (compared to the 100) 2. the DeCapo's were too small and dwarfed by the 57" TV and two Servo 15s we have. I don't see problem with that, but he did and I can respect his thoughts.

While we were there we had a listen to the new Seismic 12 subwoofer from Paradigm, it retails for $3000. Beautiful finish. It sounds pretty good. Don't know if its $1000 better than the Servo, but it definitely has the juice.

It will be a few weeks before we get everything setup as we get posession of the house on 20 November and the basement won't be finished for a few weeks after that.

Take Care All.

THOB

Wireworm5
11-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Congratulations on your purchase. You won't be sorry. I just don't know how your going to survive a week without major anxiety not being able to play them.
When you do get to put the juice to them, be sure to pick some well recorded music with lots of bass. And crank them. The amazing thing is the music won't seem loud because its so clean and clear. You'll be grinning ear to ear. Hopefully you don't have any neighbors nearby.
Happy Listening!

46minaudio
11-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Thats great,enjoy !!!

bturk667
11-14-2003, 02:39 PM
I glad you are happy. I'll have to go out and give them a listen. Enjoy!

Jimmy C
11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
Aarrgh... I have to get used to this new format...

Let us know what you like/dislike about them!

RGA
11-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Congrats
Hope you enjoy em for many years. :)

thepogue
11-15-2003, 03:20 PM
enjoy them fer years...and wiff many beers and tears...

Over50revisited
11-16-2003, 09:40 AM
Your in for some enjoyable listening pleasure. Congrats to both of you.

TinHere
11-16-2003, 12:20 PM
I hope you don't get too bored not thinking about what speakers to get. Enjoy! :)

Pat D
11-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Congratulations. I haven't been able to hear the version 3 models in the Reference line yet. I think you will be able to enjoy them for many years to come.

I wouldn't worry about a bigger sub as long as the one I had did what I want it to do.

the hand of boredom
11-17-2003, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't worry about a bigger sub as long as the one I had did what I want it to do.

Pat,

Already have two Servo 15. What do you suggest I do widdum?

THOB

Pat D
11-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Pat,

Already have two Servo 15. What do you suggest I do widdum?

THOB

Keep 'em. I didn't mean to imply you did not have a sub. I just meant that if the sub(s) you have do what you want them to, there's no point in trying to "upgrade."

Actually, I think just one Servo-15 would work fine, but you may have other ideas. Placing one on top of the other in a corner is supposed to increase the bass output capability by 6 dB over just one of them, if I remember correctly.

The Servo-15 certainly is capable of more output in the deep bass than the Studio 100 and most other speakers, so it is worthwhile to have s sub. As well, a reasonably set up subwoofer should result in a more even bass response, as the best location for the mains is usually not the best place for the sub.

the hand of boredom
11-17-2003, 09:01 PM
Hey Pat,

I was tongue-in-cheek with my comment. I knew what you meant. When I tell people that I have two Servo-15s they usually do a double take and then think I'm stoopid or something.

I haven't had 'em properly set up yet. I bought them in May and have been in an apartment since that time (I knew that I would be getting a house with my best friend, that's why I got them). They were up against a narrow (10ft) wall, with one Studio/40 on each sub.

When the basement of the new house is finished I plan to get a test disc and SPL reader and do it right. I have designs for bass traps which should help with the smoothness. I REALLY can't wait to have it all set up properly and just crank 'em both.

I'll keep you and everyone else on this board updated with my progress.

THOB