Amplified Sub to Mono Speaker out? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Amplified Sub to Mono Speaker out?

Frikinelmo
02-05-2005, 05:07 AM
I am looking at making some small upgrades to a home theater system. I have an all-in-one DVD/Stereo made by Pioneer. The subwoofer the system came with is non-amplified, and has a single speaker level connection. (so the signal is processed and amplified by the stereo itself). Would I be able to hook up a powered subwoofer to this? I see that many amplified subwoofers have speaker level inputs, but they sum stereo inputs into mono. I would not want to get a new sub if it is only going to be able to perform at half capacity.

Thanks,
Bill

markw
02-05-2005, 06:13 AM
1) If you buy a powered sub and it has two speaker level inputs, just replace your existing sub abd hook up the receiver's sub out to one of the new sub's inputs . It will still put out all it's capable of. If that thought bothers you, connect the one speaker line to both sub inputs.

*check your manual or call the mfgr for this info.

2) IF main unit can function without the sub as an integral part of the system*, and sends the full range of lows to the main L/R speakers, then any powered sub with two speaker level inputs and outputs will work. Simply remove the sub.

Option 1 is the one I would choose.

Frikinelmo
02-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Thanks,

This is exactly the info I needed!

-Bill

James.ca
02-11-2005, 05:11 PM
I would not advise you to ddddddo that one the outis a speaker power line made to drive anormal passive speaker.
Mostlikey overdrive the active subs input and wreck somethng and maybe both ends ifyou get a short outof thedeal.
If youhave a mono speaker out just use a pasive sub box and match the speaker to the out put power of the amp .
. Maybe save a few bucks not having to buy a active box .
James