surround sound setup using cable card [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : surround sound setup using cable card

cyberpac9
02-04-2005, 07:45 PM
i've seen several threads asking for tips on best setup, etc and i know there are a number of ways to do it. most i've seen talk about routing audio through cable box or satellite. however, i've never seen one that discussed a cable card. so here goes:

i have my DVD player hooked to TV via HDMI/DVI cable. digital optical cable from DVD to receiver. from TV i have digital coaxial cable running to receiver. i also have audio running to receiver (red/white cables). using cable card in TV and cable running to wall. have CD player connected to receiver using audio cables (red/white cables). of course, all speakers (6.1) hooked to receiver.

does this sound like a proper setup, or do some things need modified? below is an image of my setup (as best as i could put together this late at night :D )

cyberpac9
02-07-2005, 08:16 AM
i guess no one has any input on this setup....i get surround sound out of the setup but not sure if i have cut corners or added too much stuff to get it working....i'll wait a couple more days to see if anyone has any input. :(

zepman1
02-07-2005, 08:21 AM
seems fine to me, although I would be using a digital audio connection between CD player and receiver. Either optical or digital coax should do the trick depending on what kind of hookups are available.

cyberpac9
02-07-2005, 08:37 AM
thanks zepman1 - i'm planning on upgrading my CD player soon and was considering that option.

if this is setup "properly" now i have to fool with settings and figure out all those pre-programmed sound fields (DTS, Dolby, Pro Logic II, etc) i don't know which to select, etc...i guess i'm in for some work now that it's setup like i need it to be. :)