Bi-Wire Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Wire Question

axelsrd
02-04-2005, 06:58 PM
I bought a pair of Klipsch speakers (eBay) to go with my 2 channel set up which consists of the following:

Pioneer SX-950 Receiver
Pioneer PL-71 Turntable
Klipsch RB-35 Speakers
When I hooked the speakers up, something just didn't sound right. I checked to make sure I hade the speakers wired correctly when I noticed that the jumper straps were missing (didn't notice at first) therefore, I am now forced to bi-wire them. I have two questions.

1. Can I bi-wire the Klipsch to my old pioneer or do I have to use my multi channel Denon.
2. If the previous owner single wired them without the jumper straps, did he ruin the speakers?

markw
02-05-2005, 01:41 AM
You could always replace those missing jumpers wit a few inched of yer basic speaker wire.

Cost... a few cents.

No, he didn't ruin the speakers running them in the manner you described.

axelsrd
02-06-2005, 10:48 AM
You could always replace those missing jumpers wit a few inched of yer basic speaker wire.

Cost... a few cents.

No, he didn't ruin the speakers running them in the manner you described.

I ended up bi-wiring them and that solved my problem. They sound great now.

markw
02-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Odds are they would have sounded just as great by simply jumpering the two terminals at the speaker with 3" of wire. All bi-wiring is is using the amp's speaker terminals as the jumpers.

theaudiohobby
02-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Odds are they would have sounded just as great by simply jumpering the two terminals at the speaker with 3" of wire. All bi-wiring is is using the amp's speaker terminals as the jumpers.

Yes, but at the amp end of the circuit :p , big difference.

markw
02-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Yes, but at the amp end of the circuit :p , big difference.One might ask how? All he's done is decrease the effecticve gauge of the wire by 3 awg.

But, there's so much gobbleydegook around that you can't take that as a fact. But, hey, he's already spent the money. I guess he can believe that whether it really makes an audiable difference or not.

...but, he'll never know now, will he? ...mebbe coulda saved a few pennies. eh?

axelsrd
02-08-2005, 04:02 AM
One might ask how? All he's done is decrease the effecticve gauge of the wire by 3 awg.

But, there's so much gobbleydegook around that you can't take that as a fact. But, hey, he's already spent the money. I guess he can believe that whether it really makes an audiable difference or not.

...but, he'll never know now, will he? ...mebbe coulda saved a few pennies. eh?

Hey guys, its no big deal. I have extra wire anyway. It didn't cost me a dime. Don't fight amongst yourselves over my problem..Geeeesh. If I decide I want to try single wiring, I will order a pair of jumpers. Not to worry.