Pink Floyd DSOTM mobile fidelity pressing [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd DSOTM mobile fidelity pressing

Kaboom
02-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Recently looking for copies of DSOTM on ebay (i never seem to have enough copies of this album, 6 and counting...) where i actually found a very nice SIGNED copy, i also happened to stumble across what seemed to be several copies of the album but masterd "half speed" by the "mobile fidelity soundlab" at "half speed" and with "tremendous dynamic range" from the original first generation tapes.
now these arent going too expensive, and i was wondering what's up with them. is the quality really superior? do they sound THAT GREAT?
just wanting to hear a few opinions.
thanx!

DarrenH
02-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Recently looking for copies of DSOTM on ebay (i never seem to have enough copies of this album, 6 and counting...) where i actually found a very nice SIGNED copy, i also happened to stumble across what seemed to be several copies of the album but masterd "half speed" by the "mobile fidelity soundlab" at "half speed" and with "tremendous dynamic range" from the original first generation tapes.
now these arent going too expensive, and i was wondering what's up with them. is the quality really superior? do they sound THAT GREAT?
just wanting to hear a few opinions.
thanx!

Well, if the MFSL lp's aren't that expensive then definitely grab one. The one I have sounds excellent.

Also, the 30th Anniversary edition vinyl is also killer and was released with all the original artwork including the stickers. If that sorta thing is important to ya. I recommend that as well.

Darren

Woochifer
02-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Absolutely you should jump on it if you find one of the MFSL half-speed mastered versions of DSOTM. I own a copy of that version, and it's one of the cleanest sounding records you'll ever hear. Incredible audio quality all the way around. In A/B comparisons I've done with the Capitol LP pressings, the MFSL pressings are clearly superior in every aspect. Last time I checked, used copies of the MFSL version of DSOTM were selling for upwards of $100 depending on their condition. The Mobile Fidelity UHQR (an even rarer version that uses the thickest and densest vinyl available) version of DSOTM typically fetches at least $500.

If you're a vinyl junkie, Mobile Fidelity represents the gold standard. They pioneered the half-speed mastering technique which supposedly allows for more detail from the master tape to get transferred, they use the original two-track master tape in the mastering sessions, they use a denser vinyl, and the manufacturing standards are very high (minimal surface noise, pops or clicks). Most of the MFSL LPs are the best sounding version possible for those specific albums. If you want to hear what vinyl is capable of, the MFSL pressings are a great place to start.

BTW, Mobile Fidelity recently got back into LP production. They fabricated a brand new mastering rig and have brought back their production team. Check Music Direct's website for a selection of titles.

http://www.amusicdirect.com/store/mfsl/vinyl.asp

dean_martin
02-04-2005, 09:01 PM
IMO, they're very good. Unfortunately, I didn't know much about MoFi until just before they went out of business. I did get Nirvana, REM and Sonic Youth titles on LP and a few titles on cd. Of the ones I have, REM's Murmur on LP and Velvet Underground & Nico on gold cd are the most improved from the original releases. Even though they're up and going again, I've read that they won't be re-releasing anything from the old days. Those mint copies won't be around forever.

Spend some time at www.amusicdirect.com and www.acousticsounds.com for other companies that do really good jobs at remastering for LP. I recommend both their catalogs too - hey, they're free.

Kaboom
02-05-2005, 01:48 AM
most of the copies that go cheaper that this seem to be pretty beat up. also 60 bux seemes like a decent price if it is in such good condit as he claims it to be:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4072257260&fromMakeTrack=true
what do you people think¿?
I also found this, but it seems from somoene who is parting with his own little collection, and i remember reading somewhere here that for them as long as the vinyl isnt in pieces and the cover torn down the middle it qualifies as "Excellent"

Woochifer
02-08-2005, 11:19 AM
IMO, they're very good. Unfortunately, I didn't know much about MoFi until just before they went out of business. I did get Nirvana, REM and Sonic Youth titles on LP and a few titles on cd. Of the ones I have, REM's Murmur on LP and Velvet Underground & Nico on gold cd are the most improved from the original releases. Even though they're up and going again, I've read that they won't be re-releasing anything from the old days. Those mint copies won't be around forever.

Spend some time at www.amusicdirect.com and www.acousticsounds.com for other companies that do really good jobs at remastering for LP. I recommend both their catalogs too - hey, they're free.

Just so you know, ALL of Mobile Fidelity's releases are limited editions. They purposely limit the number of LPs that they press off of each stamper, and they limit the number of stampers that they replicate off of the master disc. Once they exhaust the supply of stampers, they don't make anymore and the LP goes out of print. That's why the Mobile Fidelity releases command such high value on the resale market.

With major label LP releases, the sound quality was often inconsistent between LPs because they would continue using stampers even after they wear down (which results in degraded audio quality, and creates that distortion that you often hear towards the end of a side).

I bought my copy of DSOTM at Tower Records right after Mobile Fidelity announced that the LP would go out of print. That particular Tower location had a great display setup for the Mobile Fidelity DSOTM LPs. They had information about what half-speed mastering is, a huge cutout of the DSOTM prism logo, and a huge sign proclaiming that it was your LAST CHANCE to own that particular version. It did not take long for the remaining copies to disappear.

nobody
02-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I like my copy quite a bit.

But, especially considering the prices the MoFi stuff goes for these days with 'em all bein' out of print and all, I'd probably just grab the anniversary vinyl release. I've heard really good things about it, but haven't listened to one myself. One copy of the thing's plenty for me.

Dave_G
02-08-2005, 03:02 PM
You should hold out for a sealed copy if you can find one, either the MFSL or the 30th anniversary like Darren mentioned.

MFSL lp's were the bomb.

Dave

Davey
02-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Hmm, I guess if you're a completist you may want to have it, but it's not really one of their better efforts if you ask me. I picked up a mint copy about 10 years ago for around $10 when a local store was going out of business and it's nice and flat and quiet, but also kind of lacking in dynamics. Most people that have actually listened to some of the early US and UK Harvest pressings think that those are much better. Contrary to what they said and continue to say in their new guise, I don't think they often really used the master tapes. And they almost always added processing in the form of EQ. And the half-speed process introduces its own form of EQ as well in the way of bloated bass. My suggestion - unless you get a great deal or are a collector, just say no to most of the popular MFSL releases because they are way too expensive for what they are and there are often better sounding versions available for much cheaper.

Nice DSOTM shootout report over at vinyl asylum last year that pretty much echoes what I just said about the MFSL....http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=210946

MikeyBC
02-16-2005, 09:09 AM
I read in UHF magazine that the origional 1973 Canadian pressing is among the finest sounding versions of this album, they own it and use it for their listening sessions today.

MasterCylinder
02-17-2005, 09:44 AM
I have maybe 30 copies of MoFi products -- vinyl as well as CeeDees.
All are superior with a couple of exceptions:

GOODBYE CREAM.........."BADGE" sounds beautiful and the rest of the tracks sound weak. Just goes to show you that you can't make good discs from crappy original tapes.

SOMETHING/ANYTHING...........again the original tapes are not strong. This project was done in a home studio.

The MoFi standard has thus far stood the test of time.
Back in the early 80s, they were the industry leader in fine music reproduction.

BRANDONH
02-18-2005, 12:12 PM
most of the copies that go cheaper that this seem to be pretty beat up. also 60 bux seemes like a decent price if it is in such good condit as he claims it to be:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4072257260&fromMakeTrack=true
what do you people think�?
I also found this, but it seems from somoene who is parting with his own little collection, and i remember reading somewhere here that for them as long as the vinyl isnt in pieces and the cover torn down the middle it qualifies as "Excellent"

I looked at the picks on the ebay link above and the cover looks very good. Seller also has no negative feedbacks which is also good. It sounds like a good buy for the buy it now price.
I have bought several 1/2 speed records from http://www.black-bird.com/audio.htm
and they are asking 80.00 for their DSTOM. One thing about Black Bird records I have never been disappointed in their record rating.
After you get one 1/2 speed record you will want more.
I recently got the CBS 1/2 Speed Wish You Were Here and it is amazing sounding.
I have the 30th anniversary reissue of the DSOTM and it sounds awesume.
But I do not have the MOFI recording to compare it to so I can not suggest one way or the other.
Mobile Fidelity has a website by the way: http://www.mofi.com