Opinions on the most musical subs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the most musical subs?

acqui
12-20-2003, 12:21 AM
I was wondering what the opinions are of the most musical subs under $1000. I know this can be subjective but I haven't had the chance to hear many of them and would like to get some basic ideas as to which one to ask for before going in and asking for a demo. I heard Velodyne, Paradigm, Definitive Tech made very good subs. But I listen to a wide range of music and like tight, accurate bass so any suggestions would be more than welcome

TinHere
12-20-2003, 08:34 AM
Check out the UFW-10 which is part of the Rocket line by Onix.

Type: Acoustic suspension, single-driver system Driver: 10" black-annodized alloy cone woofer Frequency Response (est): 25 Hz +/- 2 dB Size (W x D x H): 13.25" x 13" x 13.5" Weight: 52 lbs. Finish: Rocket Rosewood w/ piano-black lacquer end caps Other Features: One-band parametric EQ (freq, bandwidth, and level), continously (infinitely) variable phase, gain, and crossover adjustments (40Hz - 150Hz), crossover disable option, LFE summed R/L RCA input, balanced mono XLR input, auto-on / standby mode. Type: Acoustic suspension, single-driver system Driver: 10" black-annodized alloy cone woofer Frequency Response (est): 25 Hz +/- 2 dB Size (W x D x H): 13.25" x 13" x 13.5" Weight: 52 lbs. Finish: Rocket Rosewood w/ piano-black lacquer end caps Other Features: One-band parametric EQ (freq, bandwidth, and level), continously (infinitely) variable phase, gain, and crossover adjustments (40Hz - 150Hz), crossover disable option, LFE summed R/L RCA input, balanced mono XLR input, auto-on / standby mode.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=subwoofers&product=1.1

A UFW-12 is soon to be released.

This Guy
12-20-2003, 09:28 AM
you could get a used Paradigm servo-15 which would be the best for music because it's servo controlled. This also makes is the quickest sub, and on top of all of that it gets down to around 14 hz as it's F3 and that's in a sealed box. You could also look at SVSubwoofers and the HSU VTF-3. Also if you want it to go little bit louder but not quite as low, I would look at the Dayton 15" titanic from partexpress.com. You could buy it in kit form for under $700 I believe, or you could buy assembled for over $800. You wouldn't have to buy a parametric equalizer with this sub because it already has one in it's 1000 watt amplifier.

-Joey

acqui
12-20-2003, 09:37 AM
I am sorry if I sound like an idiot on this but I have no idea what a servo controlled sub is and how it's different from a regular sub............with regards to sound, clarity etc? Thanks for any additional input on this.

TinHere
12-20-2003, 06:34 PM
I am sorry if I sound like an idiot on this but I have no idea what a servo controlled sub is and how it's different from a regular sub............with regards to sound, clarity etc? Thanks for any additional input on this.

Here's a link from a google search:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productintro.asp?CategoryID=68

Geoffcin
12-20-2003, 08:03 PM
I gotta agree, a servo sub will be the most musical. I spend a lot of time looking for a sub to go with my maggies. A servo sub was the only choice after listening to a whole bunch. If setup correctly you can hardly tell that it's there except for rock solid bottom. It was a hell of a lot cheaper than going for the big 20.1's to get that last 1/2 octave too!

You should be able to pick up either a Velodyne, or Paradigm servo 15" for less than a grand on AudiogoN.