KINO: new prog band [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : KINO: new prog band

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
02-04-2005, 12:28 PM
This band shows promise.
Pete Trewavas (Marillion), John Beck (It Bites), John Mitchell (Arena) and Chris Maitland (ex-Porcupine Tree).

seedee coming out on Feb 28th from Inside Out Music.

http://www.kinomusic.com/music.htm

DarrenH
02-04-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm looking forward to this. Sounds very intriguing AND from an interesting line-up.

So many promising releases on the horizon. Looks like 2005 is going to be another good year.

I have Spock's Beard's Octane and Arena's Pepper's Ghost on order and should be arriving in a few days. I also pre-ordered Frameshift's new release over at ProgRock Records.

Porcupine Tree in March.

And, I just bought a some new headphones. Sennheiser HD-590. Man, are these sweet.

Darren

ForeverAutumn
02-04-2005, 02:59 PM
I also pre-ordered Frameshift's new release over at ProgRock Records.

I'm dying to hear that new Frameshift, but I think I'm gonna hold off for bit to see if ProgRock sells autographed copies like the did with the last one.

Troy
02-04-2005, 03:12 PM
The clip at the Kino site sounds like ASIA or The John Young band. Kinda generic and blah AOR masquerading as prog.

YMMV.

DarrenH
02-04-2005, 03:45 PM
The clip at the Kino site sounds like ASIA or The John Young band. Kinda generic and blah AOR masquerading as prog.

YMMV.

Forgot about the link. Yeah, after hearing the sample all those tunes sound just like this Cairo cd I'm listening to now.

Pretty generic stuff. Nothing reallly exciting. Maybe I will pass.

Darren

Dave_G
02-06-2005, 05:29 AM
Believe it or not I bought the new Spocks Beard yesterday, it was 18 bucks, the special 2 disc edition.

Only 1 spin thusfar, okay stuff I reckon.

Dave

kexodusc
02-06-2005, 07:20 AM

YMMV.

For someone like me that relies more on word of mouth, live shows, opening acts, and internet radio to get exposed to most things musical these days, who is "AOR" or what does "AOR" stand for?

I could be mistaken, but it appears to be used in a derogatory fashion here, perhaps an slanderous acronym?

kexodusc
02-06-2005, 07:28 AM
II have Spock's Beard's Octane and Arena's Pepper's Ghost on order and should be arriving in a few days. I also pre-ordered Frameshift's new release over at ProgRock Records.

Porcupine Tree in March.

And, I just bought a some new headphones. Sennheiser HD-590. Man, are these sweet.

Darren

Darren, I can't wait for your review on the new Spock's Beard...I've always respected the group, but some albums are hit and miss for me, and I really hate shelling out cash just for a few good songs.

I thought the RR gang was boycotting Arena in protest against he anti-comping anti-piracy stande of it's member? :D
HD-590's...I tried some out the other day...a good step up from the ancient Koss unit I have now. Now I have to decide if it's worth the investment considering I get about 4 hours of use out them per month...

Troy
02-06-2005, 09:45 AM
For someone like me that relies more on word of mouth, live shows, opening acts, and internet radio to get exposed to most things musical these days, who is "AOR" or what does "AOR" stand for?

I could be mistaken, but it appears to be used in a derogatory fashion here, perhaps an slanderous acronym?

AOR- Album Oriented Rock. It's an 80s term. Foreginer, Bad Company,Boston. That kinda stuff.

DarrenH
02-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Darren, I can't wait for your review on the new Spock's Beard...I've always respected the group, but some albums are hit and miss for me, and I really hate shelling out cash just for a few good songs.

I thought the RR gang was boycotting Arena in protest against he anti-comping anti-piracy stande of it's member? :D
HD-590's...I tried some out the other day...a good step up from the ancient Koss unit I have now. Now I have to decide if it's worth the investment considering I get about 4 hours of use out them per month...

Most of what I've been reading hasn't been too favorable but those same folks didn't like Feel Euphoria either, which I happen to like a lot, so I pay that no nevermind. I hope for the best.

Yeah, the 590's weren't cheap but I use headphones often enough to justify the cost. These do sound excellent and are SO light and comfortable. I couldn't be happier considering I was using a vintage Pioneer set from the late 70's. Those things were big and heavy and after awhile it felt like someone was boxing your ears but they did sound decent. I just plumb wore them out.

Darren