Echolyn availability? Sources? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Echolyn availability? Sources?

3-LockBox
02-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Naturally, after hearing a few select tracks from them (that darn Delicious Agony) I immediately put them on my wish list...and just like Porcupine Tree was a few years ago, this band's back catalog is in limbo somewhere...why is it that some bands' back catalog seem to be off limits (IQ for example) while others within the same genre are plentiful. I hate the idea that I'd have wait years to buy these guys like I did PT.

I think I may have recieved a comp with a song from these guys back when...

Who here at RR is a fan of this band?

Troy
02-04-2005, 10:25 AM
I went to:

http://www.echolyn.com/

and their order button sent me to:

http://www.cdbaby.com/found?allsearch=echolyn

Great stuff, one of my favorite 90s bands. "Songs from the Wood "era Jethro Tull on amphetamines.

Haven't heard "Mei" yet, I have a hard time with album length songs.

"Cowboy Poems Free" is excellent, "Suffocating the Bloom" is also very good, but the best one I've heard is "As the World" which is OOP, unfortunately.

PM me if you want a baked copy . . . no, e-mail me cuz it always takes me a week to notice that I have PMs here.

richmon
02-04-2005, 10:59 AM
I've got a 'As the world' in my trade stack- being an long time Gentle Giant fan, I find Echolyn too derivitive for my tastes, but hey lots of folks like em alot.

I'll be on vacation from this Sat till next Sat, email if you wannna trade for it. rrichmon44atjuno.com

3-LockBox
02-04-2005, 11:02 AM
"Cowboy Poems Free" is excellent, "Suffocating the Bloom" is also very good, but the best one I've heard is "As the World" which is OOP, unfortunately.

Which titles do you have? (I assume the three you mentioned)

A couple of the songs I heard was from Cowboy Poems Free, and I thought they were great. Sorta reminded me of SB's Kindness Of Strangers...a little, but with better vocals.

I think I'll do a little searching over at Delicious Agony; they have a few advertisments for CDs and DVDs.

Troy
02-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Richmon- it's funny, try as I might, I've never warmed to Gentle Giant. Not sure if it's the brittle cold feeling I get from them or if it's the thin vocals that rub me wrong, but I just never connected with 'em.

Yeah, I see the GG/Echolyn connection and have had it pointed out to me in the past, but Echolyn has a warmth and humanity added to the difficult time and breakneck pace.

For me, Echolyn brings much more to the table.

Troy
02-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Yeah 3LB, I have those 3 albums.

Get Richmon's copy of As teh World. It's a no brainer if you are looking to learn about this band.

richmon
02-04-2005, 01:29 PM
if it's the thin vocals that rub me wrong, but I just never connected with 'em.

Strangely, it's the Echolyn vocals that keep me from connecting with them!.
I even skipped their set at Nearfest a few years ago, to linger over dinner and a few microbrews (a terrific rye ale - tasted like fresh baked rye bread).

I'm wondering if you got a bad CDR recording, or the wrong songs were selected, to sour you on the Giant. But vocals are a personal thing - I don't like the beatles vocals and adore Dave Cousins (strawbs) voice -go figure.

Troy
02-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Strangely, it's the Echolyn vocals that keep me from connecting with them!.
I even skipped their set at Nearfest a few years ago, to linger over dinner and a few microbrews (a terrific rye ale - tasted like fresh baked rye bread).

I'm wondering if you got a bad CDR recording, or the wrong songs were selected, to sour you on the Giant. But vocals are a personal thing - I don't like the beatles vocals and adore Dave Cousins (strawbs) voice -go figure.

Ya, it's all so personal.

I mean, dear GOD, why would you want beer to taste like rye bread? LOL. I like beer flavored beer.

I've got a GG comp from Brad H, a live one from Mastercylinder and had a factory pressing of "Octopus" for a few years.

Wrong song selection? Maybe. I dunno.