A/B Speaker Outputs to bi-wire/bi-amp??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A/B Speaker Outputs to bi-wire/bi-amp???

cjtalbot
02-04-2005, 07:05 AM
Hey all,

My reciever is the Onkyo 502, which allows me to power two sets of Front speakers at the same time via the A (left and right) and B (left and right) outputs...I'm sure most know what I'm referring to.

I'm thinking about picking up some speakers than I can bi-wire/bi-amp (JM Lab Chorus 726S) and I'm wondering if I can run the A L&R speaker wire to one set of the speakers posts, and the B L&R outputs to the other binding post. Or to be more specific, I would use the "A" outputs to power the high-pass inputs on both sets of speakers, and the "B" outputs to power the low-pass outputs on both sets of speakers.

I know this isn't a bi-wire - as that would simply be one amp signal split, but more so a bi-amp...but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. All feedback is appreciated, even scathing comments showing my lack of understanding.

Thanks,

Chris

piece-it pete
02-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Chris,

You dang-blasted nincompoop!!

:D

(haha - he said poop)

Nah, but seriously, folks.....

If you've got the wire why not? It ends up as a larger gauge than one run, really, and I think that's good. I can't see how it could hurt.

You also get a larger contact area between the wire and the components on both ends. Again, seems good, and how could it hurt.

I use a and b outputs for my mains, not because of biwiring but simply 'cause my 10ga wire woudn't fit into a single set of banana plugs, so I split it into two.

Good luck, enjoy the experiment!

Pete