RPTV Convergence Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RPTV Convergence Question

newbsterv2
02-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Hello everyone. I'm the happy owner of a new Hitachi 51" HD RPTV. After taking the time to tweak the convergence in the user menu the television seems to forget the settings after I turn the tv off 3 or 4 times. And it's usually not by a little. My question is this. On average, how often does convergence need to be set? It seems like a lot of tv's I see at the store that a lot of them need to have the convergence done. That's one thing I miss about the old tube tv's!!

drseid
02-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Hello everyone. I'm the happy owner of a new Hitachi 51" HD RPTV. After taking the time to tweak the convergence in the user menu the television seems to forget the settings after I turn the tv off 3 or 4 times. And it's usually not by a little. My question is this. On average, how often does convergence need to be set? It seems like a lot of tv's I see at the store that a lot of them need to have the convergence done. That's one thing I miss about the old tube tv's!!

I feel your pain on this one... About 3 years ago, I bought a Hitachi RPTV HD Monitor (but not the widescreen version) off the floor at Circuit City. Since the price was only $949 for a 43 inch standard sized screen (that could do widescreen mode) I felt I found the deal of the century... BUT...

As soon as I got it home the convergence was off... No matter how many times I would adjust it, or would have CC come to professionally adjust it under warranty, it just never could take (and also never completely looked right). In 3 years I must have had the convergence professionally done at least 8 times (with no complete results)!

I now use the set as my bedroom set, but I swore I would never buy Hitachi after that (and haven't). It could have been a one off though, as many people *love* Hitachi quality... As for me, I am in the "avoid like the plague" camp. :-(

Looks like CC had the last laugh after all!

---Dave

ryjam282
02-04-2005, 04:28 AM
I have had my 57" Hitachi RPTV at the house for over 3 years now and haven't done the convergence except the fist time I plugged in the TV, and even then it didn't really need it. I just did it cause of the delivery to make sure it was straight. But, the TV is working flawlessly, I mean, OTA HD comes in great and all the other DirecTV channels are just beautiftul looking and I can tell you, having been a Sony man all my life before this TV and doing all the research I could do, the Hitachi is head and shoulders above the Sony TVs, I just love my HItachi and will happily buy another one.