Compatibility between older A/V receiver and SADC [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility between older A/V receiver and SADC

evo-no-revo
02-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Here is the deal. I have an Pioneer VSX-07TX (circa 1999) and and newer Sony DVD/CD/SADC player. My Pioneer receiver doesn't have 5.1 inputs. It has all the THX and Dolby Digital internal decoding and optical and coxial inputs. My Sony has a DTS encoder. I really have two questions. My Sony manual says that the SACD can't be played through the optical input on the receiver. It doesn't say if it can be played through the old two channel rca outputs into the rca inputs on the receiver. Do I have to have a 5.1 input on my receiver to get the SACD performance? Also, I was wanting to use the external DTS decoder from my DVD player to go into the Pioneer receiver which doesn't have 5.1 inputs. I seem to believe that I am just out of luck on these two thoughts. I was a Home Theater guru back in 1990-1992 but have been away. Now all of the differing formats is put me way behind the power curve. I sure did love my old Lexicon CP-1 and a five channel Carver amp. It is all a little more complicated now. Anyway this is what I have to work with so I would like to get what I can out of it.
Thanks,
Christopher

brulaha
02-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Your assumption is correct. Your SACD will work through the old rca style inputs, but obviously not in a 5.1 manner. There is no way to take advantage of the 5.1 (including the external DTS) without the inputs your receiver lacks.

Might I suggest a used receiver listed on audiogon.com to solve your problem?

shokhead
02-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Your assumption is correct. Your SACD will work through the old rca style inputs, but obviously not in a 5.1 manner. There is no way to take advantage of the 5.1 (including the external DTS) without the inputs your receiver lacks.

Might I suggest a used receiver listed on audiogon.com to solve your problem?

What does DTS have to do with analog in's and out's?

N. Abstentia
02-03-2005, 10:08 AM
DTS (and DD) is passed through the 6 channel analog outputs on a DVD player with built in decoders...such as a SACD/DVD-A player.

You could also use the digital output and bypass the players decoders which will work for DTS and DD, but not SACD or DVD-A.

brulaha
02-03-2005, 03:11 PM
What does DTS have to do with analog in's and out's?

The poster asked if he could use his external DTS decoder (built into his DVD player) without 5.1 inputs on his receiver. He cannot, thus my response.

shokhead
02-03-2005, 05:23 PM
I would rather run DTS through the dig to use the bass management in my reciever as most DVD players have such poor bass management.

brulaha
02-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I would rather run DTS through the dig to use the bass management in my reciever as most DVD players have such poor bass management.

His receiver doesn't have DTS.