Amp On/Off? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Amp On/Off?

marrj
02-02-2005, 12:45 PM
I recently bought a Rotel 1080 amplifier and this is the 1st amp I have owned. When I first turn on the amp, my ceiling lights go off for a flash of a second and then come back on. Someone told me that this is something I shouldn't worry about but that he leaves his amp on all of the time. I have been turning it off every time I am done using it. Is it OK to leave it on all of the time? Is it better to leave it on all of the time or does it not make a difference?

risabet
02-02-2005, 02:57 PM
I recently bought a Rotel 1080 amplifier and this is the 1st amp I have owned. When I first turn on the amp, my ceiling lights go off for a flash of a second and then come back on. Someone told me that this is something I shouldn't worry about but that he leaves his amp on all of the time. I have been turning it off every time I am done using it. Is it OK to leave it on all of the time? Is it better to leave it on all of the time or does it not make a difference?

The current surge when you turn on your amp is causing your lights to dim. Do the lights dim when playing music? If not it's probably fine. Leave your amp on if you want to. Turning it off is better though, save energy and all!

The Mean Time To Failure (MTTF) is is a function of the design and parts quality, though switches can wear out. As an example, I have had my amp for 15 to 20 years, turn it off all the time and it is working fine. It only takes a few minutes to warm up from cold.