Attn: Car guys/gals [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Car guys/gals

topspeed
02-01-2005, 03:14 PM
To the small cadre of gearheads here at AR, just wanted to introduce you to a new wax I tried this past weekend. I've used just about every wax known from $5 Meguiars Pro to $50 Zymol and this Zaino wax (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc) is the new benchmark. My new car is Carbon Black according to BMW, but it's deep, deep blue to the rest of the world. After 4 coats of Zaino lemme tell you, this thing looks like a rolling black mirror. Although new, the paint had some spider webbing and the Zaino got rid of any hint of webbing, swirls, or other nastiness. The paint is truly flawless. Wow!

If you like to take care of your car, give this stuff a try. It isn't expensive and goes on very, very easy. In fact, the rule of thumb is "When in doubt, use less!" Taking it off requires no more than mild pressure. I waxed my car in 10 minutes and removed it in 20. It's that easy.

Cool stuff :D!

EFE Speakers
02-01-2005, 09:03 PM
..wax my 330i next week!

Does this wax give a time table for how long it is suppose to last? Where did you purchase it?

There is a detail shop here in Prescott that applies a polymer polish and says it last 6 months to 1 year.

I originally had a teflon coating applied when I bought the car in Dec 2001, it has kept it very nice for the last few years but is showing signs of wearing off now. Nobody out here has even heard of a teflon coating???

I'd like to apply something that is low maintenance for at least a year or two. Of course regular hand washing with a mild auto detergent and keeping the car in the garage helps extend whatever is applied. Thanks for the tip Darin, I'll look into it!

Ed Frias

jeskibuff
02-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Even better than Zaino is QuickSilver treatment for audio cables. This stuff does EVERYTHING! It's a car wax! No, it's a dessert topping! No, it's a car wax AND a dessert topping. Got a huge dent in your fender? NO PROBLEM. Apply QuickSilver and the dent pops RIGHT OUT! Get yours today...only $64.95.

P.S. Pet just died? Squirt a little QuickSilver on poochie. He'll come back to life, more loving than ever! I can't believe I ever lived without this stuff!

(hey TopSpeed...thanks for the tip. I've been using Zymol on my M3 and will check out Zaino when I run out).

topspeed
02-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Even better than Zaino is QuickSilver treatment for audio cables. This stuff does EVERYTHING! It's a car wax! No, it's a dessert topping! No, it's a car wax AND a dessert topping. Got a huge dent in your fender? NO PROBLEM. Apply QuickSilver and the dent pops RIGHT OUT! Get yours today...only $64.95.

P.S. Pet just died? Squirt a little QuickSilver on poochie. He'll come back to life, more loving than ever! I can't believe I ever lived without this stuff!

(hey TopSpeed...thanks for the tip. I've been using Zymol on my M3 and will check out Zaino when I run out).Dude, you're too much :D:D:D! BTW, what the hell does "BBQ" and "111oneone" mean anyway? I think we lost something in the translation with Bjorn. Maybe it's Swedish?

Which Zymol are you using? Carbon, Creame, Atlantique? I was using the Creame on my white Ci and while I loved the look and feel of it, the stuff would only stick for about a month or two. While I don't mind waxing my car every other month, especially considering how easy Zymol goes on and off, it would be nice if I didn't have to because there isn't any protection left on it. You know what I'm talking about; The first wash after putting a coat on, the water practically bounces off the paint, the second it's beading pretty well, but by the sixth or seventh wash, it's beading up but doesn't roll off the paint like it did a month ago. The paint also doesn't have that silky feel to it when you brush it with the back of you hand either. Am I right?

Obviously, I've only had the Zaino on for a week or so, thus I can't comment on it's durability. Based on the reviews of the people that recommended it to me, I'm expecting at least 6 months of protection. The problem is it's been so long since I've waited that long between waxings, I'll probably end up doing it every quarter anyway just to avoid getting the shakes. I can say for certain that it provides superior depth and shine in comparison to the Zymol. They told me that the more you use, the deeper the finish and they aren't kidding. It's actually rather addictive because as the paint gets deeper, you want to keep applying coats to see how good it can get. Good Lord, somebody stop me!

BTW, how do you like your M3? I've had my convertible for almost 3 weeks now and the 1200 mile break-in period is absolutely killing me :(. It's funny how different the SMG is from driving anything else. I thought it would be cool using the paddles but to honest, I'm using the stick on the console much more beause it just feels more natural after driving manuals for so long. I'm adjusting, albeit slowly. I was also surprised at the difference the Sport setting makes. When engaged, I feel like Gene Wilder screaming, "It's Alive!!!" Wow, it feels like 1000lbs were removed. I wasn't expecting it to be that dramatic.

Hey Ed,

You can buy it from zainostore.com or just click on the link I provided in the orginal post ("this Zaino wax"). From my what I've been told, one application should be good for 6 months. They also have a Z6 spray on detailer that is there to extend the periods between waxes. You literally just spray it on and wipe it off. Simple.

I've heard of that teflon stuff. In fact, my BMW dealer tried to get me to pay for it when I bought my previous car. I respectfully declined as I firmly believe you don't really know your car until you've been able to wash and wax it by hand. I love studying the art of car design so smoothing my hands over the curves gives a better appreciation for the design language. This is one of the reasons I would like Chris Bangle and Adrian Van Hooydonk's heads (or similar body part) on a platter. Look what they did to our cars :mad:! Sorry, I digress. You can get waxes with teflon from Mother's, Dupont, and others at your local Auto Zone.

BTW, two of the guys that recommend Zaino to me were big time Corvette guys. One e-mailed me a pic of his GranSport and the other his ZR-1 and Z06. The stunning GranSport is what convinced me to give it a try. Zaino has an M5 in the shop so this stuff is terrific for both your current 330 and your upcoming Z06 (you lucky dog!). Give it a try and put a couple of coats on, you won't be disappointed.

EFE Speakers
02-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Hey TS,
After reading the testimonies and seeing a lot of those pictures at their site, this stuff almost sounds too good to believe! I ordered the Z2 polish, the speed up mix and their car wash. My 330i still looks new after 20k miles, but if this stuff makes it glow even better, I'll have a brand new looking car! (( :

I agree with your opinion regarding the new BMW style, it looks ugly! I would never have bought a 330i if they had looked like that two years ago. Some say the new style will grow on you, it hasn't grown on me and every time I look at it I like my 2002 more and more! I hope they don't use this design on the new M3, for sure it will make sales go down.

I heard the 2006 M3 will have a V8 in it, I wonder if they'll try to hit the 4 second flat barrier? I think it's going to be pretty hard for any car company to build a car that will match the new Z06 0-60mph in 3.6 seconds, at least with a price range of under $100k.
Now I'm hearing rumors of a new 550HP Viper, but who would spend $85k to $90k to get approximately 3.5 seconds (0-60) when you can buy a Z06 Vette for under $70K with much better technology built into it? The auto industry is really getting exciting as it was in the mid to late 1960's! I owned and raced a rat motor 427ci 1962 Nova in the late 60's, it got about 8mpg driving around on the street. The new 427ci Z06 is currently rated to get 16 city to 25mpg Highway, talk about great technology! Dave Hill (Chevrolet Corvette Chief) is said to be working on getting the mpg up on the new Z06 so there won't be any gas guzzler tax applied. Who would believe a 500 horsepower car could get anywhere around 25 to 27mpg on the highway, it just blows my mind! I can't even get over 23mpg on my 330i no matter how I drive it. I'll let you know how the shine turns out in a couple of weeks, thanks for the tip!

Ed Frias

topspeed
02-08-2005, 03:02 PM
You bring up a point that I think is ignored far too often: Gas mileage. I am simply blown away by the EPA ratings for both the C6 and Z06 (along with the C5 while we're at it). My car has between 70-170 fewer hp and less than half the displacement, yet is only rated for 16/23. I don't know what kind of magic wand Hill is waving over the LS6 and new 427 motors, but it's working! Incredible.

The '06 M3 is purported to have a 4L V8 with 400hp. Thankfully, they've kept the "flame surfacing" to a minium and the new body is a handsome update of classic BMW style. I've see a couple of computer enhanced spy photos but this one from Autobild is the first I've see of a 4 door M3. I don't know if it will hit 4 sec. 0-60. Hell, it wasn't long ago that I thought a 6 sec 0-60 was quick! The times they are a-changin'!

BTW, if your 330i is a darker color, you might do well to grab a bottle of Z5 too as it is best for removing spider webs and swirls on dark cars.

Let me know what you think.

EFE Speakers
02-09-2005, 12:29 AM
it has never been through a regular car wash so thankfully it has no swirl marks. Hand washed since I bought it has really paid off! Liek I said, it still looks new except for a few tiny pits from road pebbles.

I sold a 2001 Corvette 6 speed Coupe about a 1 1/2 years ago. One day I purposely drove around the city like an angel keeping the rpm below 2k in every gear. 22mpg!!!!!!!!!
When I drove the car at 65mph on the freeway in 6th gear it kept the engine down to about 1500 to 1600rpm, and it gave me about 28 to 30mpg! Several people I talked to said they got over 30mpg on the freeway with their Corvettes, is that incredible from a 350HP engine? Now the new 2005 400HP engine is rated with the same gas milage! The onboard computer allows you to digital read the average or instant milage as you drive, and I liked the instant mode because it really lets you know when you have a heavy foot, and I didn't care at certain times!!!!!!! ((( : The fact that you can buy a car that will pin you back in the seat when you want, and also give you good gas milage like the little old lady from Pasadena is just a marvel of modern technology. You had to make a choice in the past, either a gas guzzling rocket or a putt along VW, but not both in the same car!

((( ;

PS:
How do you get a picture to post, I can't seem to do it???

EFE Speakers
02-09-2005, 12:30 AM
nt................................................ ..............................

shokhead
02-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Good for any paint? Jap and german paint are all different and some waxes arent good for them. If you waxed in ten minutes,it a very small car and you did a poor job. Didnt you say 4 coats?

jeskibuff
02-10-2005, 04:44 AM
Dude, you're too much :D:D:D! BTW, what the hell does "BBQ" and "111oneone" mean anyway? I think we lost something in the translation with Bjorn. Maybe it's Swedish?Bjorn is being very evasive. He's just torturing us by toying with our curiosity. It really doesn't mean a thing!

Which Zymol are you using? Carbon, Creame, Atlantique?Carbon. Is Creame and Atlantique supposed to be better or is Carbon the top-of-the-line?

I was using the Creame on my white Ci and while I loved the look and feel of it, the stuff would only stick for about a month or two. While I don't mind waxing my car every other month, especially considering how easy Zymol goes on and off, it would be nice if I didn't have to because there isn't any protection left on it. You know what I'm talking about; The first wash after putting a coat on, the water practically bounces off the paint, the second it's beading pretty well, but by the sixth or seventh wash, it's beading up but doesn't roll off the paint like it did a month ago.Yeah...sounds about right. We could always plaster our finishes with duct tape and never have to worry about rock dings and swirl marks ever again. ;)

The paint also doesn't have that silky feel to it when you brush it with the back of you hand either. Am I right?You cruel man. I never backhand my M3!

BTW, how do you like your M3? I've had my convertible for almost 3 weeks now and the 1200 mile break-in period is absolutely killing me :(.I've had it for over 7 years now and the hardest thing is to figure out what to replace it with. It's been extremely reliable and it's still a major blast to drive. I normally don't keep a vehicle for more than 3 years. I've had my eyes on Acura NSX's for a while, but have just been waiting for the right deal to come along. Buying such a vehicle in my area would be stupid right now as the pot-holed roads would beat the thing to death. I'm in limbo, but the M3 makes it a very happy limbo.

I firmly believe you don't really know your car until you've been able to wash and wax it by hand. I love studying the art of car design so smoothing my hands over the curves gives a better appreciation for the design language.Plus, that attention to detail helps you to notice things that need attention before they rear their ugly heads.

topspeed
02-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Good for any paint? Jap and german paint are all different and some waxes arent good for them. If you waxed in ten minutes,it a very small car and you did a poor job. Didnt you say 4 coats? Clearly, I didn't do 4 apps and removals in 10 minutes. On an M3 convertible, which is indeed a small car, I can get a coat on the car in around 10-15 minutes. Removal takes a smidge longer as you have detail the creases, gaps, etc.

I used to believe the Zymol marketing hoo-ha about different paints too. I believed it for over 10 years in fact. I used Zymol Saab on my Saab, Carbon on my Orvis Green Jeep, and Creame on my white BMW. It makes no difference, they all had poor durability. Zaino has a 30 day money-back guarantee so why not see if it makes a difference on your particular car? Hey, at least it's only $7 instead of $50 for the Zymol!

Carbon. Is Creame and Atlantique supposed to be better or is Carbon the top-of-the-line? Nah, Carbon is for dark colors, Creame for light colors, otherwise they are the same. Alantique, Concours, and their other specialty waxes supposedly have a higher content of carnuba and are for show cars or people with more money than brains. These are the same guys that buy Valhalla wires. I'm sure their shine is terrific and since they go on trailer queens parked in air-conditioned garages, durability really isn't an issue is it?

Yeah...sounds about right. We could always plaster our finishes with duct tape and never have to worry about rock dings and swirl marks ever again. ;)

You cruel man. I never backhand my M3!Yer killin' me, man! :D

I've had it for over 7 years now and the hardest thing is to figure out what to replace it with. It's been extremely reliable and it's still a major blast to drive. I normally don't keep a vehicle for more than 3 years. I've had my eyes on Acura NSX's for a while, but have just been waiting for the right deal to come along. Buying such a vehicle in my area would be stupid right now as the pot-holed roads would beat the thing to death. I'm in limbo, but the M3 makes it a very happy limbo. No doubt. I like Ed's idea of the C6/Z06. Very tough to beat for the bux. My friend has a NSX and loves it. It screams like a banshee when you wind it out and features world-class handling. For an "exotic" though, it's somewhat innocuous. I'm a big fan of 911's, have you ever taken one for a spin (quite literally if we're talking about 993's and earlier ;))? In this day and age where cars are becoming more and more homogenous, there is still nothing that drives and sounds like a Porsche.

Plus, that attention to detail helps you to notice things that need attention before they rear their ugly heads.So true, good point.

BTW Ed,
Great color! That dark silver was my second choice and you're probably right about not needing Z5.

jeskibuff
02-16-2005, 04:45 AM
Carbon is for dark colorsNow you tell me! My car was Alpine White when I bought it. Now it's Graphite Grey! I've had that wax for MANY years now and that's probably a good indication how infrequently I wax my car. BAD BOY!

I like Ed's idea of the C6/Z06.I've never been a Corvette fan. Build quality has always been spotty and almost EVERY single 'Vette I've seen on the road is driven as if by an old lady. I NEVER see anyone having fun with one. Maybe it's the tendency for people to buy them as status symbols, not really enjoying the thrill of driving, but I've seen many other performance "status" cars get flung around on the road. Maybe it's the fear of getting a traffic ticket that would result in a huge insurance rate increase. I should take one for a test drive one day but they've just never piqued my interest.

Very tough to beat for the bux.Raw performance doesn't always make for an enjoyable ownership experience. A friend of mine who bought a Corvette spoke of his repeated visits to the dealership to get problems fixed. The Dodge Omni GLH was a car that accelerated outside its envelope, but aside from that one-dimensional quality it was a piece of crap. Likewise, Subaru made a high-performance ugly-duckling of a car (the SRX??). I guess it was fun to fling around, but I'd never want to own one despite their reputation for good reliability.

My friend has a NSX and loves it. It screams like a banshee when you wind it out and features world-class handling. For an "exotic" though, it's somewhat innocuous. I'm a big fan of 911's, have you ever taken one for a spin (quite literally if we're talking about 993's and earlier ;))? In this day and age where cars are becoming more and more homogenous, there is still nothing that drives and sounds like a Porsche.Nope...I never took a 911 out for a test drive either. They never held much visual appeal to me but I DID respect their ability to perform. I owned a 944 back in 1984 and while that was fun, it did have its ownership headaches, mainly repeated failures in the liquid-filled engine mounts and a terrible dealership in Orlando, Contemporary Cars. Everytime I took the car in for service there, it came back with more problems than it went in with. That turned me off to Porsche ownership.

A big appeal with the NSX is the performance and looks of an exotic combined with the high-reliability of a Honda product.

EFE Speakers
02-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Raw performance doesn't always make for an enjoyable ownership experience. A friend of mine who bought a Corvette spoke of his repeated visits to the dealership to get problems fixed. The Dodge Omni GLH was a car that accelerated outside its envelope, but aside from that one-dimensional quality it was a piece of crap. Likewise, Subaru made a high-performance ugly-duckling of a car (the SRX??). I guess it was fun to fling around, but I'd never want to own one despite their reputation for good reliability.

Jeskibuff,
Prior to my 2001 Vette, I hadn't owned or wanted a Corvette since my last 1965 fastback. Everybody knows the Corvettes from 1968 to 1996 left a lot to be desired, but since the C5 came out (1997) the reputation of Corvettes has become world class. My 2001 C5 was a pleasure to drive and never saw a dealer except for an oil change. Now in 2005 since the new C6 has come out, it is now considered the best buy in the world for a sports car, second to none! Several magazines have already chosen it as the best sports car buy anywere. The new Z06 will not only be the fastest production car ever produced by GM, but also the most advanced racing technology ever built into a street driven car.

The old days of rattling fiberglass and a squeeking chassis are gone! The engine (400HP), rear 6sp transmission, advance suspension and electronics in the standard Corvette is a marvel for any sports car, no matter what the price. Then the new Z06 (late 2005) adds an aluminum frame, 427 cubic inch 500HP engine, beefier transmission, carbon fiber front fenders and floor pan, outboard oil sump, various magnesium parts, oil coolers for everything (engine, trans & rear end) all in a 3100lb car. For the average sports car lover, this is a dream come true because it will be the first sports car ever he could afford! A guy would have to spend $200k + to own a car like this in the past and still most exotic sports cars won't top 0 to 60mph in 3.5 seconds and go over 200mph.

This is even making Porche lovers reconsider their next car, and that has seldom happened in the past with any Corvette!

EFE

texlle
02-16-2005, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't exactly call build quality on the C6 spotty. Its a nice, well built car....much nicer than the older models. GM has really come a long way in the last year or two. I'm impressed. But who am I kidding, I can't afford a C6, much less a 330. I'll have to stick with my '03 Tiburon GT manual for now ;).

topspeed
02-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Hey Texlle,

D'ya think Hyundai "borrowed" a couple of ideas from the Ferrari 456 or what? Nice looking car though, blatant plagerism or not. It's too bad they seem to be one of the darlings of the Fn'F crowd. Most Tiburons I see have been slammed and festooned with picnic tables for wings and enough fake cladding to make Pamela Anderson jealous.

Jeskibuff:
I've never been a huge Vette guy myself but have to admit the C5 impressed me. I've driven my friends Electric Blue C5 coupe a couple of times and have always come away impressed. Is the interior as nice as our cars? No. But it's not bad and about equal with a first gen Boxster.

While your 944 was a heap, you may find it interesting to know that JD Power's Durability Index (where they review 3 years of ownership reliability issues), this year's winner was Toyota. That's not a big surprise, but who they finally replaced was: Porsche. In fact, from 2000-2003, Porsche held the top spot. Not bad for a small sports car manufacturer, huh? BTW, I consider the Cayenne to be an abomination and refuse to acknowledge its very existence.

EFE Speakers
02-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Texlle,
You may not be able to afford a new Corvette or 330i, but you can definitely afford EFE speakers! ((( ;

EFE - the Corvette speaker with a Hyundai price tag!! :D

I like Dynaudio, they are one competitor that has been making some dynamic sounding speakers for a long time.

EFE

texlle
02-18-2005, 03:08 AM
I'm listening to DJ Tiesto's new album from the Olympics....Parade of the Athletes. It sounds so nice and transparent on this setup, its great.

Btw, about the Tiburon, it wasn't featured in either F n' F movie. The second one used Mitsubishi predominantly hence the Evo and the Eclipse. And yes there are some people who make their Tiburons new additions to the ricer crowd, but I can assure you, I have pretty decent taste in my car.

In fact, here are a few photos:

http://img236.exs.cx/img236/6228/img06122fn.jpg

http://img236.exs.cx/img236/2707/img06353jh.jpg

http://img236.exs.cx/img236/7112/img06145na.jpg

THE POWERHOUSE! hehehe...

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/9026/img06207jy.jpg

topspeed
02-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Verrry Niiiice!!

You take a lot of pride in your car and it shows. I like the little "T" badges, very sharp and they match the wheel design as well. It looks like you put a cold air intake on it. Very nicely detailed engine bay. Was that pic taken when new or do you always detail under the hood as well?

Nice ride Tex, if I ever buy a digital camera, I'll post pics of my toy.

texlle
02-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the positive comments, man :). Yeah, I just used a wet cloth and wiped everything down. And I did install the Injen cold air intake a year after I got it. And I also installed the T badges on front and back, and in the center of the wheels. The car is called a Tuscani in Korea, and they have these badges from factory. I just ordered the badges and wheel caps from Korea not too long ago. It definitely gets looks when its clean ;). Yeah, post pics of your ride when you can!