Tunesday Time Again [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tunesday Time Again

Davey
02-01-2005, 07:59 AM
Seemed like a lot of newbies roaming around the last couple weeks that wanted to confess their weekly musical sins, so here's your chance boys and girls! Whacha been listening to this past week, or name something that has really floated away your boat, or just rip into someone else's obvious lack of musical taste. No holds barred. Dog eat dog. Life in the foodchain - where are you now Tonio when we need you?

Hey, just got this new one from Lockgroove last night and, and, yowser, it sure sounds good so far! Very nice for waking up with a cup and spending way too much time on the computer while I should be getting ready for work type of music. It does have a lot more of a pop sound, kind of like the Autolux album that I also like a lot. And a more upbeat version of that Secret Machines. But these guys are a little more special to me. Definitely worth checking out if you like this kind of music. Think along the lines of Ride and My Bloody Valentine and all the poppy shoegazers, but sometimes mixed up with a little George Harrison from All Things Must Pass. Not exactly the Beatles era George, but the one after. Some Dusk at Cubist Castle in the mix for the OTC fans here, but you stll have some of that Jesus & Mary Chain too. Pretty cool. Still, I've only got in two listens so don't put too much weight on what I say....nice 4.5 star review at AMG thast says all the right words if you click on the cover below ;)

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg400/g498/g49800bif16.jpg (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:rbduakjksm3v~T1)

Also some other stuff like

Pixies - Doolittle / Surfer Rosa (had to spin some Pixies after the fun Austin City Limits show the other night)
Violent Femmes
Fiery Furnaces EP
Notwist - Neon Golden
Vetiver (lots of Vetiver - it gets better all the time)

Your turn. Don't be shy. Only a couple of us bite, and not very hard either.

kexodusc
02-01-2005, 08:13 AM
This week, I took a step backwards...got out my old 501's, a denim shirt, leather jacket, went to the local CD shop and picked up MOTLEY CRUE's latest "compliation"..."Red, White, and Crue" I think it's called...getting a little Progged out lately...

This thing is wicked cheap, $12 canadian at CD plus here in NB. 2 CD's, all the good stuff (and a good chunk of bad) but you can't argue for the money...Not much to say, the 3 new tracks are really bad, the few unreleased tunes are nothing to get excited about, but if you like Motley Crue and remember the times when rock stars were like Gods among men, well...it'll bring back a few memories. Good pickup for us cheap Crue fans (those that have the guts to confess, anyway) who never did replace the Vinyl/Cassettes with CD's.

Other notables:
Neil Young - Decade
Pink Floyd - DSOTM, just got the SACD, this CD remaster is quite a bit better than my older CD
Pearl Jam - Lost Dogs (arguably the best PJ album)
B.B. King - Live at the Regal
Opeth - Deliverance
Gov't Mule - Life Before Insanity
Rush - 2112 (okay, still a bit o' prog in rotation).

ForeverAutumn
02-01-2005, 08:14 AM
What is a shoegazer?

Hyfi
02-01-2005, 08:16 AM
We broke out some old videos with some Victory Golden Monkey.

Newport Jazz Festival from 95 & 93
Larry Carlton
Larry & Lee (Carlton & Rittenour)
Rite of Strings (Ponty DiMeola Clark)
Koko Taylor w Lonny Brooks, Jr Wells, and a few others
Eric Johnson
Buddy Guy

SRV from Austin City Limits circa 1983
This should have been cut as a live album. He was so stoned, his eyes wouldn't even open. Great performance and I can't believe this tape has survived for 23 years. Picture and sound quality are spectacular.

Santana- the Fox special from 2000 performing most of the Supernatural cd and a few that didn't make the cd. This is the one where he has the camera strapped to the neck of his guitar.
By the way, what kind of wood is his awesome PRS guitar, Tiger Maple?

Santana- Live in Mexico- another nice set of mostly his older tunes.

Sade- In The Spotlight- not sure what year but probably 95 or earlier. There is just something about her...huh guys? Her backup band is always top notch.

Ok......Question of the day-
Has anyone ever seen SRV or Santana without a hat? I think the only time I ever saw Santana without one was his Barbara WaWa interview where he talked about being molested as a child.

Hyfi

Troy
02-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Picked up the Soundtrack to "The Incredibles". It's a gas. The best Bond soundtrack John Barry never did. This score not getiing an Oscar nom is a crime.

J sent me "The Desoto Reds", a dense and sound effects laden retro-60s vibe power pop album. If only Syd Barrett hadn't done that one hit of acid that put him over the top . . . PPG would really like this.

Dave Brubeck- Time out- What a timeless classic of tasty playing and odd meter. It made me dig up Miles Davis, Kida Blue which I don't think I will EVER warm up to. Gimme the Brubeck any day.

Others:
Mr. Bungle- California
10cc- Original Soundtrack
Air- 10,000Hz Legend
The Cardigans- Gran Tourismo
Secret Cheifs 3- Book of Horizons
IQ- Dark Matter
Happy the Man- The Muse Awakewns
XTC- Big Express
Helmet of Gnats
Talking Heads- Naked
Cluseaux- Lagoon

Davey
02-01-2005, 09:26 AM
What is a shoegazer?
Hehehe, pretty silly name for a genre of music, huh? Bands like Ride and Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine and some of the others in the late 80s began mixing brit-pop with layers and waves of guitar distortion (similar to Jesus & Mary Chain and Galaxie 500 and Spacemen 3 and many others before them, but more ethereal in a Cocteau Twins sort of way) and when they performed live they usually had multiple guitarists with a big array of effects pedals and boxes on the floor in front of them so spent most of the show gazing at their shoes. So the story goes. You know those English critics - always looking to pen a new genre name and create a legacy :)

Olivertmc
02-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Radiohead - Kid A
Leon Parker/Charlie Hunter - Duo
Josh Rouse - 1972
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Christian McBride - Gettin' to It
Bright Eyes - Lifted . . .
The Shins - Chutes too Narrow
De Lucia, DiMeola, McLaughlin - A Night in San Francisco
Chris Whitley - Rocket House
Neko Case - The Tigers Have Spoken
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Manitoba - Up in Flames

Dusty Chalk
02-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Hey, Davey, you know what you might like? Aqueduct. I was attracted to the cover, but musically, I lump them in with Arcade Fire/Autolux...you know, all that indie hipster stuff that I only sometimes get into. I liked the cover:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002ZYDTM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

...(trust me, it looks much cooler in person), but was unimpressed when listening to it in the listening station.

Anyway, what I've been listening to:

Gathering: Mandylion, Nighttime Birds, How to Measure a Planet?, if_then_else and Souvenirs. And no, I can't find my copy of Black Light District, otherwise I'd be listening to that, too. These guys just rock, I love them. Over and over and over again.

Girls Against Boys, You Can't Fight What You Can't See -- groovy.

Rotersand, Truth is Fanatic -- beautiful EBM.

Maquiladora, What the Day was Dreaming and Ritual of Hearts -- needed to slow it down a bit.

Opeth, Damnation and Deliverance -- I think it's funny that the harder one is deliverance, and the softer one is damnation.

Simple -- electroclash side-project of...I dunno, someone. Cool covers.

Nouvelle Vague -- silly loungish/jazzish/Sade-ish covers of classic 80's songs -- "Making Plans for Nigel" is particularly fun, also includes Joy Division (Love Will Tear Us Apart), Depeche Mode (Just Can't Get Enough), PIL (This Is Not A Love Song), Cure (A Forest), Modern English (I Melt With You)...just a great great record. LOTW.

Elend, Winds Devouring Men and The Umbersun -- I just noticed, I listened to a lot of two-fers. This is a particularly experimental pairing.

Stereolab, Margerine Eclipse -- doot-y (lots of doots). Somewhat French. Ish.

Anniemal this gets better with each listen, but it's still not as good as Kylie.

Diary of Dreams, Nigredo -- their best yet, yes.

Telefon Tel Aviv, Map of What is Effortless -- another one that gets better with every listen.

Friends of Dean Martinez, Random Harvest -- great hangover music. Simply gorgeous, with a most delicious analog-y production.

Lush, Cookie -- several really standout tracks. I really like "Love at First Sight" and "Undertow (Spooky Remix)".

Blur, Bustin' + Dronin' -- the live side is a little raw, but the remix side rocks.

Neuroactive, Put Your Trust In Me -- back when they were even better.

Dykehouse, Midrange -- this really should have caught the attention of more critics. Oh, well, I guess not enough payola...

Electrelane, The Power Out -- another one I've been enjoying more with each listen. I really like the variety of it. For example, I'm listening to the Stereolab right now, and it's hitting me as a little same-y, compared to Electrelane.

Amorphis, From from the Sun -- still likey.

Battery, Aftermath -- not their best, but still quite enjoyable. Hard electro-pop/EBM/industrial/whatever. That stuff I listen to.

Faithless, No Roots -- too hip-hoppity for any favourites list, but "accessible to this white boy" enough for the occasional spin, plus, the occasional really standout track.

Marianne Faithfull, Before the Poison -- this is as good as it sounds like it should be: input from PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, and Damon Albarn (Blur guy). With MF's inimitable singing style. Other LOTW.

Godspeed You Black Emperor, F# A# (infinity), Slow Riot to New Zero Kanada and Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antenna to Heaven -- I forgot how much I like these guys -- spine-tingling music.

Explosions in the Sky, The Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place -- I had this on right after GYBE, and almost missed it. They're right up there with them. I have to pick up the other one, now.

Jeff Beck, Jeff -- simply gorgeous music, completely overproduced (ProTools stuttering, distorted vocals, the works), but enjoyably so.

VidnaObmana, Legacy -- a wonderful conclusion to his trilogy. Now I need to find the others so that I can listen to it all at once.

Dark Tranquility, Character -- EAR CANDY METAL!!!!! Rawk!!!!

Stone
02-01-2005, 11:06 AM
I had some driving time this past week, so I got some listening in:

Talking Heads - Fear of Music
This is the only Talking Heads album I didn't have until recently. I've only spun it once (although I'd heard most of the tracks before), but I'm thinking after some serious time with it, it may rival Remain In Light for my favorite TH album.

April March - Paris In April
The more I listen to this, the more I like it. Fun pop music that contains elements of French pop and other styles.

Cristina - Doll In the Box
Speaking of French pop....

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
Another band that I was late in coming to, but man, they have some great songs. I with I had had an opportunity to see them live, because they sound like they put on an outstanding live show.

A Mighty Wind, The Album
This is chock full of great folk songs, even though they were written for the movie. Really a quality album in its own right.

Hot Snakes - Audit In Progress
Pinback - Summer in Abaddon
Trashcan Sinatras - Weightlifting
Otis Redding - Otis Blue
Mind Funk - s/t
Velvet Underground - Live at Max's Kansas City (disc 1)

JRH
02-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Trail of Dead - World's Apart
This album has satisfied my musical jones since I picked up the promo about 2 weeks ago. This is an easy album to get obsessed with. Every listen brings out more detail and more melody.

Also, anybody here hip to Minus the Bear? My daughter turned me onto a cd from them. Not sure whether it's a comp or complete release. But it sounds kinda fun. A little Incubus, a little Police...

Jim Clark
02-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Boots, boots, and some more boots. It's like someone is kicking me in the head.

Also got a couple of new ones last week, very mixed bag.

Bright Eyes-Digital Ash For A Digital Urn. I like most of it. Bright Eyes is a real hit or miss proposition for me. The songs I like I really like but the others I wish I'd never heard. Can't imagine liking anything on the Alt. Country disc so I just saved the cash.

...Trail Of Dead- Worlds Apart. It does have an epic sort of feel to it. Problem is that an epic dump is still just a dump at the core of it all. I can't imagine ever liking this.

Erasure- Nightbird. Starts out extremely promising and then seems to lose some steam. Haven't really played it enough to feel good about relegating it to the confines of the underbed storage box just yet though.

Some bootleg recordings follow
That Interpol that I posted the link to last week. Awesome sound quality with only some minor irration at the pronounced edits between tracks.

That Fire Arcade show that I also included. sound quality isn't nearly as good though.

B-52"s-a soundboard recording that's too die for.
B-52s
8/11/01
venue unknown
sdb(unknown)>cdr(nero)>eac>shn

disc 1
Is that You Mo-Dean
Dance This Mess Around
Good Stuff
Lava
Roam
Quiche Lorraine
Dead Beat Club
Hero
Private Idaho

disc 2
Revolution
Pluto
Strobe Light
Love Shack
Whammy
Cosmic Thing
Rock Lobster

A collection of Arcade Fire Christmas toons d/l in lossless format

A stunning Depeche Mode Show feat. a smoking rendition of "Never Let Me Down Again" and "Home"
CD1:
01. Painkiller (Intro)
02. A Question of Time
03. World in my Eyes
04. Policy of Truth
05. Its No Good
06. Never Let Me Down Again
07. Walking In My Shoes
08. Only When I lose Myself
09. A Question Of Lust
10. Home

CD2:
01. Condemnation
02. In Your Room (Zeyphr Mix) *my fav version :-s*
03. Useless
04. Enjoy the Silence
05. Personal Jesus
06. Barrel of a Gun
07. Somebody
08. Stripped
09. I Feel You
10. I Just Can't Get Enough

Another Interpol boot without such good sound quality but a much longer show. Major drawback is that the bass is way too boomy.
Interpol
Bristol Academy
Bristol, UK
2004-12-15

Source: CSB + Battery Box > Creative Nomad Jukebox 3
Conversion/Editing: JB3 > Firewire > Soundforge 7.0 > CD Wave > Flac Frontend v1.7.1

01 - Next Exit
02 - Obstacle 1
03 - Narc
04 - Public Pervert
05 - Say Hello To The Angels
06 - Not Even Jail
07 - Hands Away
08 - NYC
09 - Slow Hands
10 - Length Of Love
11 - Evil
12 - PDA
13 - Break
14 - Leif Erikson
15 - Roland
16 - Break
17 - Stella Was A Diver And She Was Always Down

Yet Another Arcade Fire Boot:
The Arcade Fire
January 17, 2005
The Casbah: San Diego, CA, USA

Source: AT943 Omnis > UA-5 digimod > JB3 Optical In @ 16/44.1khz [15' dfc]
Transfer: JB3 > firewire > dEdit > cdwave > flac
Tape & Transfer: raistrick@gmail.com

Disc 1:
01. Intro [01:24.55]
02. Wake Up [06:24.41]
03. Neighborhood #2 (Laika) [04:36.29]
04. No Cars Go [06:43.33]
05. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) [05:34.08]
06. Crown Of Love [06:40.61]
07. Cars And Telephones [07:12.19]
08. Born On A Train^ [05:07.02]
09. Une Année Sans Lumiere [04:23.42]
10. Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) > [06:23.68]
11. Rebellion [04:44.25]
12. encore break [03:25.59]
13. Haiti [06:09.28]
14. In The Back Seat [06:29.26]

A Morrissey boot off the latest tour but the music has way too much of a cavernous feel. Too bad since the talking is just fine.

And a few more, but I've got to get a kid to the orthodontist by 2:00

See ya,
jd

ForeverAutumn
02-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Hehehe, pretty silly name for a genre of music, huh? Bands like Ride and Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine and some of the others in the late 80s began mixing brit-pop with layers and waves of guitar distortion (similar to Jesus & Mary Chain and Galaxie 500 and Spacemen 3 and many others before them, but more ethereal in a Cocteau Twins sort of way) and when they performed live they usually had multiple guitarists with a big array of effects pedals and boxes on the floor in front of them so spent most of the show gazing at their shoes. So the story goes. You know those English critics - always looking to pen a new genre name and create a legacy :)

Thanks Davey, even though I've never heard the bands that you have named. :D The explanation of "shoegazer" now makes some sense anyway.

This weeks listens include:

The Rheostatics - 2067
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
The Thrills - So Much For the City
The Thrills - Let's Bottle Bohemia (I like this one much better than the first)
Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Scissor Sisters (skipping a few tracks that I don't like)
The National - Cherry Tree
Pinback - Summer in Abaddon (still trying to get more familiar with this one, but liking it so far)

A minor return to prog with:
IZZ - I Move
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

And I watched part of the new Blue Rodeo DVD, Stereovision . I've been hand picking the tracks to watch and the sound is not very impressive. I won't pass judgement until I've seen the whole thing, since each track was recorded in a different place. I'm hoping that I was just unlucky in picking the worst tracks first.

ForeverAutumn
02-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Also, anybody here hip to Minus the Bear? My daughter turned me onto a cd from them. Not sure whether it's a comp or complete release. But it sounds kinda fun. A little Incubus, a little Police...

Sounds like something I'd like. Thanks for the tip.

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
02-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Seemed like a lot of newbies roaming around the last couple weeks that wanted to confess their weekly musical sins, so here's your chance boys and girls! .....
Your turn. Don't be shy. Only a couple of us bite, and not very hard either.

At the risk of getting bitten....
U2 "...atomic bomb"
Cocteau Twins "Milk and Kisses"
Johnny A "Get Inside"
Flower Kings "Adam & Eve"
String Cheese Incident "Untying the Knot"
Jethro Tull "Aqualung"
Phantom of the Opera soundtrack
Brian Wilson "SMiLE"
Porcupine Tree "In Absentia"
Phish "rift"

umapet97
02-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Listening to a ton of U2;getting ready for the big show in April.
Getting Flaming Lips Zaireeka ready to roll for this weekend.Somethin cool about setting up 4 stereos to listen to a cd.

Jim Clark
02-01-2005, 12:33 PM
U2 "...atomic bomb"
Johnny A "Get Inside"
Jethro Tull "Aqualung"
Brian Wilson "SMiLE"
Phish "rift"

I've had my shots.

Cocteau Twins-that's nothing to be ashamed of. As for the rest, well, there's safety around here in numbers.

jc

Ex Lion Tamer
02-01-2005, 12:34 PM
I went on a mini Traffic marathon after reading on another board about Jim Capaldi's death. John Barleycorn Must Die, Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, Dear Mr. Fantasy and Traffic got back to back to back to back spins and they all sounded great. Traffic was one of my favorite bands when I was much much younger and they still sound great today to these ears. Too bad it took the death of one of its founding members to get me pull these old favorites out. R.I.P. JC!

Flaming Stars; Ginmill Perfume and Sunset & Void, man I'm just loving these albums. At first I prefered the earlier Ginmill Perfume, which compiles early singles, for it's freshness, but I do hear some amateurishness (not necessarily a bad thing). Sunset & Void is more polished and professional sounding without losing the freshness...both are great.

Holy Cole; Don't Smoke In Bed and Temptation, it's a shame that Holy Cole doesn't get the recognition of the current jazz divas; Nora Jones and Diana Krall, I find her music has so much more substance and style. She always adds a unique touch to her interpretations, but not so much so to alienate the casual fan, (as I find Cassandra Wilson and Patricia Barber can sonmetimes do.) Both albums also sound fantastic. Revisiting these old favorites caused me to order her latest, of which allmusic thinks very highly.

Bob Dylan; Bringing it all Back Home and Time Out of Mind. What can I say?
Lucinda Williams; World Without Tears
Ron Sexsmith
Elvis Costello; Imperial Bedroom
Joe Jackson; Night & Day
David Bowie; Low
Pink Floyd; DSOTM
Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros; Streetcore
Built to Spill; Keep It Like a Secret
Low; Things We Lost in the Fire
OutKast; Stankonia
Arcade Fire; Funeral
Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd; Jazz Samba
Sonny Rollins; Saxophone Colossus
Kenny Dorham; Quiet Kenny
Jacintha; Lush Life

Jim Clark
02-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Getting Flaming Lips Zaireeka ready to roll for this weekend.Somethin cool about setting up 4 stereos to listen to a cd.

I have yet to run into anyone who thinks that was worth the time and effort. Course I don't run into too many people who even know about that. Curious to learn your impressions. Have fun.

jc

Davey
02-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Oh yeah, been spinning the new Mercury Rev a little too. I like it a lot so far but haven't even been all the way through yet. It does sound a bit like a combination of Deserter's Songs and All Is Dream, not quite as precious as the latter and not as earthy as the former. Kind of a nice place to be. Very nice, classy, glossy lyric book/liner notes too. Mine is a European (EC) copy from cd-wow and the cover image that I was a bit letdown by does look a lot better in person :)

audiobill
02-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Radiohead - Kid A
Leon Parker/Charlie Hunter - Duo
Josh Rouse - 1972
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Christian McBride - Gettin' to It
Bright Eyes - Lifted . . .
The Shins - Chutes too Narrow
De Lucia, DiMeola, McLaughlin - A Night in San Francisco
Chris Whitley - Rocket House
Neko Case - The Tigers Have Spoken
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Manitoba - Up in Flames

Hey, olivrtmc.

I really dig your weeks' worth of music.
That "A Night in San Francisco" is simply outstanding.
In fact, your post had me reaching for it, after I got in from work, today.

Thanks,
Bill aka audiobill

richmon
02-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Robert Wyatt ‘Shleep’ – growing on me with every listen, the song ‘blues in Bob minor’ is particularly good.
Modern Jazz Quartet ‘1957’ –have I seen a MJQ post on this board? Excellent band, excellent CD. Timeless.
A Perfect Circle ‘Mer de Noms’ –their best album imho, a few songs are PTreeish to these ears
Buffalo Springfield ‘Retrospective’ –sounds dated, will have to spend more time with it.
Zombies ‘Odessey and Oracle’ –been meaning to buy this for ages – catchy in a quaint psychedelic way.
Nightwish ‘Once’ – been listening to a lot of heavy stuff while working out. The minutes fly by on the stepper listening to this pup.
Farpoint ‘from dreaming to dreaming’ –four or five excellent songs on this.
Anekdoten ‘Gravity’ –I love this band and CD, mellotron drenched.
R.L. Burnside ‘Come on in’ – this sounded good at the store on headphones, not so good when I got it home –WTF?

audiobill
02-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Welcom to the site, Red Imperial Aerosol Kid and umapet97.

I see you both like U2. Well, me too.

As for their concert, they're not coming to Toronto for the first leg -- too bad.

My wife and I saw them the last time they were here a couple of years ago and it truly was one of the best show we've ever seen.

From the moment they took to the stage, there was not one person sitting down for the entire show. Similarly, the sing-a-long, was infectious.

Glad you can join us, at RaveRecs.
Bill

audiobill
02-01-2005, 01:12 PM
I'll be brief.

Elliott Smith -- from a basement on the hill

Nirvana -- the box-set

Drive-by-Truckers: Dirty South
(A Big thanks to Stone for introducing me to this band. Heartache never sounded so good.)

The Dillinger Escape Plan -- Miss Machine

Cheers,
audiobill

Dave_G
02-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Ines - Hunting the Fox. I got this off of ebay for 10 bucks and have had it on cdr from Demetrio for some time. I love this disc. It's keyboard based "happy" prog with a killer feel. The real cd seems to sound a lot more full than a copy.

Big Country - Peace in Our Time - remaster, of course. Fluff pop rock stuff with loud guitars and all that, I like it.

Kerry Livgren - When things get Electric. It's an okay pop kind of recording, but still pretty good, because, hey, it's Kerry, ya know.

Pendragon - The World (or something like that). Another "neo-prog" band that I like a lot.

Van Halen - I borrowed 2 mid term Van Halens from this dude at work and they both fit on 1 cdr. 1984 and Fair Warning. I like this stuff a lot.

Galahad - Sleepers. Another neoprog band that has a few excellent releases, and this is one of them. Hard to find this disc. I have it on cdr but want the real mutha.

Cheap Trick - their first one. Not bad, but their latter stuff is better to me.

Dave

ForeverAutumn
02-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Welcom to the site, Red Imperial Aerosol Kid and umapet97.

I see you both like U2. Well, me too.

As for their concert, they're not coming to Toronto for the first leg -- too bad.

My wife and I saw them the last time they were here a couple of years ago and it truly was one of the best show we've ever seen.

From the moment they took to the stage, there was not one person sitting down for the entire show. Similarly, the sing-a-long, was infectious.

Glad you can join us, at RaveRecs.
Bill

Hey Bill. I got an email from Edge 102 yesterday and Queens of the Stoneage are coming to town. March 30, I think. I'm on the wrong computer to look up the details, but email me if it interests you. I'm hoping that I've got the date wrong, 'cause a late show on a Wednesday night could lead to a painful Thursday. :cool:

Cheerio!

Olivertmc
02-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Hey, olivrtmc.

I really dig your weeks' worth of music.
That "A Night in San Francisco" is simply outstanding.
In fact, your post had me reaching for it, after I got in from work, today.

Thanks,
Bill aka audiobill

Bill:

Glad you like it! I've actually been listening to a lot of Drive-by Truckers a lot lately as well - I only have "Southern Rock Opera" but plan in picking up some others. As for "A Night in San Francisco," it is up there with my favorite live albums. Everytime I hear something amazing from one of the players, I start to say "wow" and the crowd beats me to it. Great interplay between artists and their audience. "The Guitar Trio" is also excellent, but I think it lacks a bit of the raw energy of San Francisco.

Are you enjoying From a Basement on a Hill? For some reason I just can't get into it, but in fairness I have not devoted a significant amount of time to checking it out.

- Olivertmc

Olivertmc
02-01-2005, 01:50 PM
U2 "...atomic bomb"
Johnny A "Get Inside"
Jethro Tull "Aqualung"
Brian Wilson "SMiLE"
Phish "rift"

Rael: (solid name by the way - big Genesis fan)

Happy to see a little phish on the list. I am a strange fan in that I truly enjoy their studio work, and while I have a bunch of live performances, both from the Live Phish series and their other live releases, I still find myself reaching for the studio stuff. Rift happens to be one of my favorites, along with A Picture of Nectar.

What are the Flower Kings like?

As for the Phantom of the Opera, I literally just got back from Best Buy with the soundtrack in hand. My wife and I are seeing the later this month and she asked me to pick up the cd so she could listen on her way to work. I like Andrew Lloyd Weber and think that a lot of his stuff is amazing, particularly his inclusion of "rock sensibilities" to musicals like Jesus Christ Superstar.

- Olivertmc

tentoze
02-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Goose Creek Symphony, Live At The Mountain Arts Center- Prestonburg, Kentucky June12,2004

BradH
02-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Hey, Jim! Shoot me an e-mail about that B-52's soundboard. I've got a good one from 1982 recorded by the Grateful Dead roadcrew when the B-52's were in Jamaica at the Bob Marley festival. Here's the lineage: MSC(Sony TCD-5M) > CDDA > AIF > WAV > SHN.

I discarded the SHN files like a dork after burning the disc but maybe we can do some bidness.

Brad

bdkhncck(at)flash.net

audiobill
02-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Hey Bill. I got an email from Edge 102 yesterday and Queens of the Stoneage are coming to town. March 30, I think. I'm on the wrong computer to look up the details, but email me if it interests you. I'm hoping that I've got the date wrong, 'cause a late show on a Wednesday night could lead to a painful Thursday. :cool:

Cheerio!

Hey, ForeverAutumn.

Couldn't help but notice that The Constantines & The Weakerthans are at Lee's Palace on April 8 & 9, Fri & Sat.. What do you think??

The date for the Queens does not work for us.

Lmk,
Bill

ForeverAutumn
02-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Hey, ForeverAutumn.

Couldn't help but notice that The Constantines & The Weakerthans are at Lee's Palace on April 8 & 9, Fri & Sat.. What do you think??

The date for the Queens does not work for us.

Lmk,
Bill

I'm curious to see Lee's. Apparently they've renovated. I think that just means a fresh coat of black paint. :D

Let me pull out my Constantines disk and give it a spin this week. I bought it a while ago, but really never had the time to give it a proper chance. Although, I can tell you that I'm not a big fan of The Weakerthans. Let me get back to you.

-Jar-
02-01-2005, 03:44 PM

I've digitally merged several of the songs from this album, though I'm quite sure that it's nowhere near as fun as what you're going to do this weekend.

I always wanted to get a Zaireeka party together but just never got around to it..

-jar

-Jar-
02-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks Davey, even though I've never heard the bands that you have named. :D The explanation of "shoegazer" now makes some sense anyway.

I'm not sure if you dug my intro to Stoner Rock, but I sure could help you out with some Shoegazer..

My computer is down right now, hopefully not for the count. All those expecting some reggae, it might be a few more weeks. Things are really stressed around my house these days..

Been listening to some Mahler and Shostakovich, plus some Meshuggah thanks to M.R.

-jar

Swish
02-01-2005, 03:53 PM
called by one reviewer that "greatest rock n' roll album of all time". I certainly like it, but not enough to agree with that kind of claim.

Anyway, I've had a little time to listen to mostly my newer acquisitions, such as:

The National - Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers
Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak (imported and really good!)
My Morning Jacket - Acoustic Citsuoca (live at the Startime Pavillion EP)
Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days (not really a new one, but I love this one)
Ray Lamontagne - Trouble
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Carina Round - The Disconnection
Pinback - Summer in Abaddon (also not so new but my #1 from 2004)

Swish

Davey
02-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Nice reference to that great Tonio K record...called by one reviewer that "greatest rock n' roll album of all time".
That silly Steve Simels from Stereo Review. I wonder if anyone would've ever heard Life in the Foodchain without his lunatic ravings? The story goes that the following month Tonio K wrote in to tell Simels that the best album ever was "James Brown at the Apollo". And both are great albums! Too bad it was never quite as good after that, but Tonio did put out some decent records, especially the one right after Foodchain. And that cool EP, or whatever they called the short LPs back in the day. La Bomba :) I seem to remember reading that one of his long lost recordings that had been held back by the record company was finally released not too long ago. Or something like that. Guess there was some kind of reissue program since some of his stuff was oop but checked at amazon and it looks like most of it's available now, so maybe not. And he was on a religious bent for a while, I guess. Never got anything myself maybe past the first three? Oh wait, I did get one in the late 80s called "Notes From the Lost Civilization" that's good, but not great. But Life in the Foodchain is still great today!

Hey, Carina Round! How'd ya like that? I think you must be the only one to take the bait and fall for my ramblings about that album. I do really like it a lot. Got a bit of a commercial sound, but still very good music. At least I think so. And even on a major label too! I know, you guys all thought I was just a indie snob. But no, I like anything that doesn't sell!

:)

MindGoneHaywire
02-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Nothing really new this week as I'm in the process of moving & everything's packed up...I'll be moved this weekend & probably have some new stuff within a week or two. For now, though, it's heavy on that Beck album that was leaked. Could be my favorite Beck rec after Mutations. I went to Beck's site & saw the list of songs that will constitute the new album. If the list on the website was accurate as far as track order, then it's a bit different from what I have; and the titles don't exactly correspond. Guess I'll have a little detective project to amuse me when I have to take a break from unpacking over the next couple of weeks.

In addition to that I've thrown on a CDR I made that has every song the Beatles ever released, in order; Ray LaMontagne; Madeleine Peyroux; some old CDs I have of the Howard Stern show with Gilbert Gottfried; the Dickies; the Sonics (inspired by that car commercial with a Sonics tune); the Violent Femmes 1st album (new edition w/2nd disc, which is slightly better than the disappointing Vanilla disc that came with the new London Calling package, but only slightly), Nick Cave; and Tom Waits. Oh, and the Welfare Problems album by a band named Randy I've never heard of otherwise & have mentioned a few times here. Great great great punk rock sh*t.

Oh, yeah--I've read about Me First & The Gimme Gimmes for years & I saw them on television a couple of weeks ago, doing some kind of cheesy cover, I don't even remember what it was, but I wasn't impressed. The outfits were cute, but hardly enough irony to satisfy a jaded bastard like me. The Dickies were masters at covering tunes, bringing something really great to them ala Devo's version of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction. All in all I think they may have been the best band in terms of doing covers (in a completely different category from bands like the Rolling Stones & even Led Zeppelin when it comes to blues & r&b covers, of course), from Silent Night Holy Night to Communication Breakdown, Nights In White Satin to Paranoid, She & Eve Of Destruction, every cover was a gem. These guys have a good idea, but the execution was mighty weak from what I could see. Hell, Social Distortion's cover of Ring Of Fire was relatively straightforward, but way more inspiring than this. Oh, well. Maybe they've done better on their records. Anyone have any of their stuff?

Dave_G
02-02-2005, 07:36 AM
The Flower Kings are a band that most people who like Rush, Marillion, Yes, Genesis, and bands like that.

They have about 10 titles out and maybe one of us could do you up a Flower Kings comp to give you a taste.

I love them, but like any other stupid band, many do not like them.

Regards,

Dave

Olivertmc
02-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks Dave. What is a good disc of theirs to start with? I really have no exposure to more recent prog acts. I picked up a Mars Volta disc (not sure if it fits into this category) and while I am impressed by the musicianship, particularly that of the drummer, I think the lyrics are a bit too over the top. There are enough words in the English and other languages around the world that I don't really see the need to make them up!

- Olivertmc

Dave_G
02-02-2005, 08:47 AM
I would start with a cd called "The Flower King", by Roine Stolt.

It's the first "Flower Kings" cd per se, although it's technically a "solo album".

If you like that then the rest of their releases can be "rated" for you.

Also great is "Stardust We are", a 2 cd set.

Or you can consider "Space Revolver".

Good luck.

If you want I can make you a cdr of a mix their stuff, contact me via private message.

Dave

Stone
02-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Oh, yeah--I've read about Me First & The Gimme Gimmes for years & I saw them on television a couple of weeks ago, doing some kind of cheesy cover, I don't even remember what it was, but I wasn't impressed. The outfits were cute, but hardly enough irony to satisfy a jaded bastard like me. The Dickies were masters at covering tunes, bringing something really great to them ala Devo's version of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction. All in all I think they may have been the best band in terms of doing covers (in a completely different category from bands like the Rolling Stones & even Led Zeppelin when it comes to blues & r&b covers, of course), from Silent Night Holy Night to Communication Breakdown, Nights In White Satin to Paranoid, She & Eve Of Destruction, every cover was a gem. These guys have a good idea, but the execution was mighty weak from what I could see. Hell, Social Distortion's cover of Ring Of Fire was relatively straightforward, but way more inspiring than this. Oh, well. Maybe they've done better on their records. Anyone have any of their stuff?

Yeah, I have their first couple of albums and a couple of singles. I like them for what they are (basically a novelty act for members of other bands), and they're fun, but their appeal wore off for me after a bit. They only do covers, and they're almost all done in a straight ahead fashion, which is why the appeal wore off. I'd say they're not in the same league as the Dickies, but I don't think they're trying to be either. Instead, they're playing off on the goofiness of the songs they cover (a la the Circle Jerks), and don't play originals. Let me know if you'd like to hear more by them.

Davey
02-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Hey, Davey, you know what you might like? Aqueduct. I was attracted to the cover, but musically, I lump them in with Arcade Fire/Autolux...you know, all that indie hipster stuff that I only sometimes get into.
Thanks for the rec, not that I really need any new ideas for artists and albums to check out! Just added a couple more to my wishlist this morning. Hey, glad to see someone commenting on the new Marianne Faithfull album. Sure seems to be getting some great reviews. Might just have to grab a copy for myself! Always amazed at how much you listen to and how varied it usually is. Lately I've only been listening to a few albums a week. This week it will probably be mostly Mercury Rev and Lockgroove, both seem to be kind of addictive :)

BTW, there is absolutely no musical connection that I've heard between Arcade Fire and Autolux, the latter being more like MBV and all those other shoegazers that ForeverAutumn is always talking about except with a well known and eclectic producer at the helm in T-Bone Burnett. But I guess they both do enjoy a certain amount of IHES status ;)

Swish
02-02-2005, 12:19 PM
That silly Steve Simels from Stereo Review. I wonder if anyone would've ever heard Life in the Foodchain without his lunatic ravings? The story goes that the following month Tonio K wrote in to tell Simels that the best album ever was "James Brown at the Apollo". And both are great albums! Too bad it was never quite as good after that, but Tonio did put out some decent records, especially the one right after Foodchain. And that cool EP, or whatever they called the short LPs back in the day. La Bomba :) I seem to remember reading that one of his long lost recordings that had been held back by the record company was finally released not too long ago. Or something like that. Guess there was some kind of reissue program since some of his stuff was oop but checked at amazon and it looks like most of it's available now, so maybe not. And he was on a religious bent for a while, I guess. Never got anything myself maybe past the first three? Oh wait, I did get one in the late 80s called "Notes From the Lost Civilization" that's good, but not great. But Life in the Foodchain is still great today!

Hey, Carina Round! How'd ya like that? I think you must be the only one to take the bait and fall for my ramblings about that album. I do really like it a lot. Got a bit of a commercial sound, but still very good music. At least I think so. And even on a major label too! I know, you guys all thought I was just a indie snob. But no, I like anything that doesn't sell!

:)
to remember, but I forgot that you're smack dab in geezerville. :D Hey, I haven't read Stereo Review, er, I mean "Sound and Vision" in quite a long time, especially not for music reviews. I remember seeing a column a couple years back when they would print items from 5,10,15,20,and maybe 25 years ago. Anyway, it seems Rex Reed was one of their critics back then and he PUMMELLED Television's Marquee Moon. The nerve of that jackarse!

Hey, Life in the Foodchain is certainly a very good record, although I haven't played it in a coon's age. I'm sitting in a hotel in Portmouth, NH right now, so no music for me at the moment. Maybe I'll remember to pull that Tonio K out of my cd case and give it a fresh spin.

As for that Corina Round, it took me a few spins to warm up to it, and while it ain't my favorite 'o the month or anything, it sure has its merits. I often jot down record titles when you guys rave about them, but I don't always take the bait, as you put it. When I see several raves for the same record, I almost always order it, but rarely when only one person recommends do I order.

Regards,
Swish

ForeverAutumn
02-02-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure if you dug my intro to Stoner Rock, but I sure could help you out with some Shoegazer..

My computer is down right now, hopefully not for the count. All those expecting some reggae, it might be a few more weeks. Things are really stressed around my house these days..

Been listening to some Mahler and Shostakovich, plus some Meshuggah thanks to M.R.

-jar

I'm glad that you mentioned your Stoner Rock CD. I had actually forgotten about it and it got lost in the deep dark recesses under my passenger seat. So, I dug around under the empty water bottles and Tim Horton's coffee cups and rocked hard on the drive home from work today. YEAH! I like it a lot! I'm only sorry that I didn't get to it sooner. I've wasted a lot of time not listening to this disk. :)

If you would like to put together a Shoegazer disk for me, that would be very kindly of you. Maybe I'll finally be able to get that Davey guy off my back.

Here's hoping to a quick recovery of your computer.

Dusty Chalk
02-02-2005, 05:06 PM
BTW, there is absolutely no musical connection that I've heard between Arcade Fire and Autolux, the latter being more like MBV and all those other shoegazers ...Really? They must have played the wrong disc when I scanned it in, at Borders' listening station, because I heard something completely non-shoegazery. Are you sure about that? Great swirling layers of reverb-drenched oceans of distorted guitars? That is shoegazer. Autolux struck me more as a 'pond'. I mean, when was the last time you listened to Loveless? I said the same thing to myself when I heard the samples of Radio Dept....

Who enjoys making words up, like 'shoegazery' and 'magnififold'.

Davey
02-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Really? They must have played the wrong disc when I scanned it in, at Borders' listening station, because I heard something completely non-shoegazery. Are you sure about that?
Well, I didn't mean to imply that it was just like MBV because it is something of a hybrid. But even our old DarkAngel friend from Head-Fi heard the MBV side of the band when he listened to some samples after my post about it over there, which I did jokingly title Autolux = My Bloody Valentine Version 2.0.0.4? (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98786).....so maybe we just have a broader definition of shoegazery than you :)

Dusty Chalk
02-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Alright, I'll give it one more chance, but perhaps the listening station at Borders is not the best place to listen to it (I've already done that twice). I'll see if I can find someone who owns it, so that I can listen to it dedicatedly.

Davey
02-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Alright, I'll give it one more chance, but perhaps the listening station at Borders is not the best place to listen to it (I've already done that twice). I'll see if I can find someone who owns it, so that I can listen to it dedicatedly.
Well, I didn't mean to imply that you missed anything or should feel obligated to give it another try. Only that they don't sound like Arcade Fire to me. But I'd be happy to comp you a copy. Got something else that I've been meaning to send you to check out so I'll throw in a copy of the Autolux CD and you can explore it again at your leisure. Do you have any interest in that recent (and supposedly final) Harold Budd 2-disc set that I talked some about in Demetrio's New Age thread? I know you indicated you were kind of over the Eno ambient thing, but this isn't really that. Very nice and reflective music. I ask mainly because I think it's only available here as an import and you might really like it, but probably too expensive to take a chance on. I got a pretty good deal on it though so it was just normal US price (about $15). Anybody else for that matter that wants to hear it just let me know. Maybe I'll include a copy of the latest from Hector Zazou that is so nice too.....but without the cool 100-page book, of course :)

'Strong Currents' is 13 tracks of pure elegance from Hector Zazou, featuring 12 female vocalist, plucked from an international musical playground. Teaming up with Giampiero Bigazzi, Zazou's latest craftsmenship begins with perhaps the most recognisable female vocalist of all, as Laurie Anderson records her characteristic spoken voice on the opening, 'Into Your Dreams'. 'Mmmh' swiftly follows - a laid back ethereal sounding slice of silky electronica, exquisitly performed by Melanie Gabriel.

Whilst 'Strong Currents' features not only a huge range of vocalists, it also includes an ecelectic portfolio of session musicians; who blend the organic sounds of flute, oboe, bassoon, trumpets and clarinet seamlessly into Zazou's elaborate layers of electronic sound and sampling. Look out for Ryuichi Sakamoto, who provides Piano on two tracks. But it's the vocalist's work that really shine through, a definite highlight being Nina Hymes near perfect impression of Bjork-inspired innocence on the throroughly enjoyable off-key 'Under My Wing'. There is not doubt that 'Strong Currents' is one of Zazou's finest works to date, a deeply romantic album, blending a huge array of vocal talents into a warm sea of undulating stings and classical themes, but with a strangely contemporary electronic edge. It also features a near-100-page book, featuring artwork and an exclusive interview with the man himself. A must for his legion of followers.

audiobill
02-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Bill:

Are you enjoying From a Basement on a Hill? For some reason I just can't get into it, but in fairness I have not devoted a significant amount of time to checking it out.

- Olivertmc

It's funny you should ask about From a Basement on a Hill. My initial impression was that it is not as good as Smith's last three efforts. However, the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It seems to be more melodic, than his other albums.

For what it's worth,
Bill

-Jar-
02-03-2005, 12:45 PM
to remember, but I forgot that you're smack dab in geezerville. :D Hey, I haven't read Stereo Review, er, I mean "Sound and Vision" in quite a long time, especially not for music reviews. I remember seeing a column a couple years back when they would print items from 5,10,15,20,and maybe 25 years ago. Anyway, it seems Rex Reed was one of their critics back then and he PUMMELLED Television's Marquee Moon. The nerve of that jackarse!

Regards,
Swish

I don't remember who wrote them, but I bought more than a few albums based on reviews I read in Stereo Review and/or High Fidelity.. though the SR ones were more memorable.

Violent Femmes - BLIND LEADING THE NAKED. Yes, this was the first Violent Femmes album I heard. I don't remember exactly when I bought it, but whent he guy described it as having a sensibility somewhat akin to The Replacements and the SST hardcore bands, I had to check 'em out.

The Replacements - TIM. I know I have the review somewhere. I don't remember what it said, but something about the review made me need to hear it. I actually kept it in the tape case for years before I finally bought the cd.

R.E.M. - FABLES OF THE RECONSTRUCTION. There came a time in my life when I basically said to myself.. "you should be listening to REM and not Judas Priest" - This was the first one I bought, based in part, on the review it got in SR.

Others I bought or searched out based in part, on what I read in Stereo Review: Sting NOTHING LIKE THE SUN, Smiths THE QUEEN IS DEAD. New Order BROTHERHOOD.. though, I have to admit, upon going back to read over those reviews after I got to know the albums, they didn't really know what to think of New Order, though the guy who did the Smiths reviews was spot on.

-jar

Davey
02-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Anyway, it seems Rex Reed was one of their critics back then and he PUMMELLED Television's Marquee Moon. The nerve of that jackarse!
Hehehe, that's funny. Although I had long before moved on to Stereophile and other magazines like that as I moved into high end audio, I do remember seeing some really nice recognition in Stereo Review for the Television reunion in 1992. I think they awarded it a Record of the Year, so probably would've been in Jan or Feb of 1993. Wish I had a copy of it because I remember the little blurb they wrote to go along with it seemed to hit home so well with me. Something about magical, and that's just how I felt about it too. Lots of magic when they were together, and that is still one of my all time favorites (even if Jay does think it sounds like Dire Straits ;)). I know you love it too.

umapet97
02-04-2005, 07:58 AM
This thread is really dangerous to my wallet;great seeing some out of the ordinary bands being posted here.I have a feeling my CD collection is going to take over the apartment.
Just purchased the Drive By Truckers off ITunes.
Revisiting my Violent Femmes CDs.

audiobill
02-04-2005, 08:09 AM
This thread is really dangerous to my wallet;great seeing some out of the ordinary bands being posted here.I have a feeling my CD collection is going to take over the apartment.
Just purchased the Drive By Truckers off ITunes.
Revisiting my Violent Femmes CDs.

Welcome to the RR board.

Be prepared to get another wallet. I've had to, since coming to this board many years ago.

You will discover all kinds of new artists that, in the long run, will serve only to enhance your life -- despite the cost.

Cheers,
Bill aka audiobill

Stone
02-04-2005, 11:15 AM
This thread is really dangerous to my wallet;great seeing some out of the ordinary bands being posted here.

The journey has just begun, my friend...

I have a feeling my CD collection is going to take over the apartment.

Hang around here long enough and it'll happen. Trust me. Just ask anyone who's seen my dining room.

Welcome to the board.

02-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Bill, Thanks for the welcome note.
Is that Nirvana box worth $50???

rael...

02-04-2005, 01:03 PM
I've had my shots.

Cocteau Twins-that's nothing to be ashamed of. As for the rest, well, there's safety around here in numbers.

jc

Jim,
do people play music here they should be ashamed of?? (ahem...such as B-52s...). ???

jon

audiobill
02-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Bill, Thanks for the welcome note.
Is that Nirvana box worth $50???

rael...

jon,

it all depends how big of a fan you consider yourself to be. On a scale from 1-10, I'd say I rate a "7" as far as a fan of theirs goes. In my books, the money has been well spent.
I really enjoy listening to non-radio material -- that's what's so refreshing about the set.

cheers,
bill

Davey
02-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Bump, bump, ba dump.
Hey! Watch where you're going!

Samo, samo, sa samo for me this week. Still getting a charge from the new Lockgroove and the new Harold Budd and a few others. I know, boring as white bread, but that's the story. Did listen to some cool mp3s from the Livingroom Legends that I enjoyed. Check em out if you're into that whole "husband and wife working blue collar jobs during the day and making great americana music in the living room at night" kind of sound...From their site: Formed by the husband and wife team of Ken and Mindy Stephens in April of 2001, the Livingroom Legends are a unique Americana/alt. country duo. Mindy plays bass and sings. Ken plays guitar, sings, and plays harmonica. The drum beats are provided by a Yamaha PSR-270 keyboard that Ken operates with a footswitch. Ken and Mindy have a 3-year-old daughter Jessica, a.k.a. "Possum". Ken is an independent delivery driver, and Mindy works as a machinist in a local machine shop. The two plan to try and build a local following, while at the same time using the resources on the internet to get their music to people around the world.

tentoze
02-08-2005, 09:11 AM
One new release: Cass McCombs, PREfection- can't even remember where I heard about this one to get my attention. Only one spin thus far, so I can't say a lot one way or another. Lyrically engaging, some swoopy ambient noise things going on. I don't have the frame of reference for an RIYL to any recent stuff, but I somehow hear pointers Plastic Ono Band-era Lennon.

Ralph Stanley & Friends, Clinch Mountain Sweethearts- the master in duets with Lucinda, Gillian Welch, Iris DeMent, etc. Can't imagine traditional music sounding much better than this.

Son Volt, Trace- picked up for $5 to replace one lost years ago. Money well spent.

Kristofferson, A Moment of Forever- Kris hasn't had any critical love for years. Bought on the cheap, a '95 release that has some pretty darn fine tunes on it ( however, the remake of Casey's Last Ride is a weak imitation of the original), as well as the cream of the crop of LA session guys backing him up.

In other words, not much of indie-hipster interest.

Olivertmc
02-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Bump, bump, ba dump.
Hey! Watch where you're going!

Samo, samo, sa samo for me this week. Still getting a charge from the new Lockgroove and the new Harold Budd and a few others. I know, boring as white bread, but that's the story. Did listen to some cool mp3s from the Livingroom Legends that I enjoyed. Check em out if you're into that whole "husband and wife working blue collar jobs during the day and making great americana music in the living room at night" kind of sound...From their site: Formed by the husband and wife team of Ken and Mindy Stephens in April of 2001, the Livingroom Legends are a unique Americana/alt. country duo. Mindy plays bass and sings. Ken plays guitar, sings, and plays harmonica. The drum beats are provided by a Yamaha PSR-270 keyboard that Ken operates with a footswitch. Ken and Mindy have a 3-year-old daughter Jessica, a.k.a. "Possum". Ken is an independent delivery driver, and Mindy works as a machinist in a local machine shop. The two plan to try and build a local following, while at the same time using the resources on the internet to get their music to people around the world.

The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
Allman Bros. - Fillmore East
Bright Eyes - Digital Ash/I'm Wide Awake
Nickel Creek - This Way
Radiohead - OK Computer
Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World
The Arcade Fire - Funeral
Neko Case - The Tigers have Spoken
Death Cab for Cutie - The Photo Album
Leon Parker - Belief
Eric Clapton - Crossroads 2 (Live in the '70s)
Ray Charles - Anthology
Pink Floyd - Another Brick . . . (The Wall Live)
Velvet Underground - Loaded
John Cale - Hobosapiens

Dusty Chalk
02-08-2005, 10:19 AM
...since I tried Davey's thing about only listening to a few disks.

Lhasa - The Living Road -- multilingual singalong fun! Saw her live last night, and she rocked. The two people with her are consummate musicians -- I lost count of how many instruments the girl played, including: cello, toy guitar (whatever that's called), backing vocals, rhythm thing, finger snaps, you name it...and the guy who played mostly different guitars played the solo on "Anywhere On This Road" (originally played on trumpet), really capturing it. Back to the album -- think Calexico, except with more than just California and Mexico influences (add a lot of French, some Portugese, f'rinstance).

Marianne Faithfull - Before the Poison -- this just gets better with every listen. I definitely hear the PJ Harvey and Nick Cave influences, but she still has her own voice. The beginnings of a clunker are beginning to appear on the faux-rap song, which is the only one that's beginning to tire after repeated listens, but even on that one -- she still applies her inimitable delivery on that one, raising it out of the "novelty" well.

Black Mountain -- dig it! Kind of a Black Sabbath meets Timbuk 3 kind of thing going on. And they jam, too, so doubleplusgood.

Artemis, Gravity and Undone (a CDBaby discovery) -- highly recommended if you're into the whole electro-goth thing, downtempo a la Halou. Very pretty. My kind of music.

Jem, Finally Woken -- really nice pop music, with a little bit of hip-hoppity beats. RIYL Dido, Chainsuck, Vitamin C.

LOTW? I don't know, they're all so good, it's kind of hard to pick a favourite. I suspect the Marianne Faithfull with stand the test of time, but they're all doing pretty well.

dean_martin
02-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Velvet Underground - Loaded
John Cale - Hobosapiens

Have you checked out Rhino's "Fully Loaded" edition of Loaded?

I just found a John Cale cd in my desk at work that I had forgotten about. A friend of mine who's a big fan of the VU/Warhol/factory scene sent it to me. It's music from the Andy Warhol films Eat and Kiss. I haven't listened to it yet. My initial impression must have been that it wouldn't be easily accessible and would take some time to appreciate. Have you heard it?

Olivertmc
02-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Dean_Martin:

I only have the original "Loaded" - is Rhino's version worth getting?

As for John Cale, Hobosapiens is the first album of his that I've purchased. I like it, although a couple of tracks lose my interest. One of those albums where the "good stuff" is REALLY good and the mediocre tracks are pretty forgettable.

Troy
02-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Jim,
do people play music here they should be ashamed of?? (ahem...such as B-52s...). ???

jon

Hell yes, the first B52s album was SO different in it's day. That whole retro-lounge thing combined with a tongue in cheek new wave sensibility? In 1978? Man, it was SO out there.

Yes, they NEVER came close to matching the wit and style of that first album, but man, there's not a bad track on it.

I'm not ashamed of anything I play. Ya either likes it or ya don't.

Troy
02-08-2005, 11:03 AM
A continuing Tunsday thread? It's gonna get confusing . . .

Week ending 2/8.

Finch sent me ". . . and you will know me by the train of dead"s new CD. I like it quite a bit and will post further on it after further digestion.

Also:

The Falling Wallendas
Robyn Hitchcock- Perspex Island
Zappa's Universe tribute CD
Mr. Bungle, California
Satellite- A Street . . .
Yazbek- The Laughing Man
Elton John- Madman (thanks Newtrix)
Talking Heads- Naked

dean_martin
02-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Dean_Martin:

I only have the original "Loaded" - is Rhino's version worth getting?

As for John Cale, Hobosapiens is the first album of his that I've purchased. I like it, although a couple of tracks lose my interest. One of those albums where the "good stuff" is REALLY good and the mediocre tracks are pretty forgettable.

If you didn't already have the album or if it is one of your favorites, I would recommend it. It's the only version of Loaded I have. I rarely listen to disc 2, but there are a couple of extra tracks on disc 1 that I like and the booklet is worth reading and Rhino did a good job with the packaging. For the hardcore VU fan though, it's probably best to pony up the cash for the Peel Slowly and See boxset. I think that boxset has pleased some of the biggest VU fans. That's the route I should have taken, but instead I've taken the harder (and more expensive) route of trying to find "special" versions of all the VU albums. I have Velvet Underground & Nico on Mobile Fidelity gold disc which is noticeably superior to the original cd release. I've been meaning to get White Light/White Heat either on gold disc or colored vinyl and VU on colored vinyl. I've tracked them down but just haven't pulled the trigger.

mad rhetorik
02-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Been awhile since I posted here, so just dropping in with my week's listens so you guys know that I'm still among the living.

-jar

Nice to hear that you found the lost Meshuggah disc. Are you still interested in reviewing it? I'd like to hear your opinion.

Anyway, my list:

Mastodon: <b>Leviathon</b>
Slint: <b>Spiderland</b>
Pixies: <b>Trompe Le Monde</b> and <b>Doolittle</b>
Bad Religion: <b>Against The Grain</b>
Lacuna Coil: <b>Comalies</b>
Opeth: <b>Morningrise</b>

PPG
02-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Well, since getting an iRiver player week before last and keeping that thing loaded, and listening to more music than ever before, I suspect I'll be popping in here every Tuesday and posting a short list. Currently on the player, a mix of comps, including:

Demetrio's Basic Prog
Timeasheen Vol. 1
Quirky Pop 3
Pop Gems, Vol. 1 by a guy who posted here briefly a long time ago, Steve Hoff
Vinyl Kings - Time Machine

Also,

Sparks - Propaganda
Goosecreek Symphony - Words of Earnest

Anyone here listen to Coast To Coast AM with George Noory? I've been into that lately, talking about Chupacabras, aliens, ghosts, Siberian Hell Holes, etc.