No Bass in Grado Gold [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : No Bass in Grado Gold

Arc45
02-01-2005, 06:27 AM
Help. This cartrdige sounds great except for the fact there is no low bass. I've tried changing the VTA, tracking etc. Any ideas on where to start?

I have an ARC VT100 MKIII, LS15 preamp and Anthem Phono Pre. The HG10SX Velodyne hardly detects anything except some low level rumble.

I am using an Acoustinc Signature TT with 250 tonearm.

royphil345
02-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Never owned a Grado Gold. Maybe it's just that way.

Could be a channel of the cartridge hooked up out of phase. In this case, turning the balance control all the way to one side would cause the bass to improve.

Arc45
02-01-2005, 03:52 PM
That was the problem...Wires switched on the cartridge.......duhhhhh....thanks

royphil345
02-01-2005, 04:31 PM
No problem!!! Glad it worked out:)

dean_martin
02-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Did you just get the Grado? What are your impressions of its sound and how does it compare to other carts you've had or heard?

I'm thinking of trying a new cart and the Grado Gold is one I'm considering. Your comments will be appreciated.

Arc45
02-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Did you just get the Grado? What are your impressions of its sound and how does it compare to other carts you've had or heard?

I'm thinking of trying a new cart and the Grado Gold is one I'm considering. Your comments will be appreciated.

Sorry for the lengthy delay but I have been tweaking the system and finally have the Grado set up properly.

I find it to be a revealing cartdidge. Very clear. The Bass now is excellent. I would recommned it but I'm getting a bug about trying the less expensive Shure 97E too.

dean_martin
02-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Sorry for the lengthy delay but I have been tweaking the system and finally have the Grado set up properly.

I find it to be a revealing cartdidge. Very clear. The Bass now is excellent. I would recommned it but I'm getting a bug about trying the less expensive Shure 97E too.

Thanks for the info on the Grado Gold, Arc45. Glad to hear you got things tweaked to your satisfaction. Let us know if you're able to try the Shure.

GlenNewdick
05-23-2005, 06:31 AM
I had a grado gold on my Oracle Delphi for years its a great sounding cart for the $. lots of bass only thing I found was the upper extention a little harsh but just at the extreems. had a killer sound stage.