alternatives to Bose 321 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : alternatives to Bose 321

norse2
12-19-2003, 05:11 PM
I am interested in a simple home theatre setup for a small family room and I do not want to bother with running speaker wires to the front and back. The Bose 321 is a perfect solution (though I do not need the DVD player) but for the price (too high) and the bad reviews I have seen. Is there another simple solution like this that is cheaper and reasonable for sound quality?

I have considered getting a boxed HT setup like the Sony HT-DDW750 and just not using the rear speakers.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Woochifer
12-19-2003, 06:24 PM
The Bose 321 is one of the most overpriced sham products out there. It's Bose's marketing department gone overboard since the 321 offers absolutely nothing that competing products cannot provide for much less money. The 321 is nothing more than a home-theatre-in-a-box with only two speakers. That virtual surround sound that Bose touts as some kind of supreme innovation comes with EVERY entry level home theatre receiver on the market, and many of them perform the virtual surround function much better than the 321 does.

I did a tongue in cheek comparison with a competing Yamaha system a while ago, and you can look at the point by point butt drubbing for yourself.
http://forums14.consumerreview.com/crforum?50@146.dskFaIgom1A.1@.ef8a443

One of the key flaws with the 321 is that it lacks the expandability of systems half its price. The speakers use a proprietary connector, presumably due to ease of use but I'll play conspiracy theorist and speculate that it has more to do with Bose wanting to prevent customers from upgrading without having to either buy a whole new system or pay an extra $100 for the wiring harness necessary to switch out the speakers. Even as competing systems add progressive scan and SACD or DVD-A support to their systems, the 321 still lacks component video outputs for HD monitors.

If you already have a DVD player, the no brainer is to get an entry level 5.1 receiver, add a couple of good bookshelf speakers, switch on the receiver's virtual surround mode, and you're in business. The trade off is that a receiver is boxier looking and a little more complicated, but the step up in performance and versatility is huge. This setup gives you the option to add center and surround speakers later on if you want, whereas the 321 locks you into what came with the system (you can't even switch out the speakers to a different brand without buying that $100 wiring harness from Bose).

A simple system like a Yamaha HTR-5650/RX-V540 (same $400 model, but the HTR series is sold at mass merchants like Best Buy, and the RX-V series is sold through specialty retailers) gives you full functionality and expandability, with a lot more power than the 321. Add a pair of good bookshelf speakers like the B&W DM602 ($600) or the Paradigm Monitor 5 ($550) and you'll have a system that costs about the same as the 321 but will run circles around it in every area and set you up well for future system expansions.

norse2
12-22-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the quick feedback and suggestions. You have saved me some expensive trial and error.

F1
12-23-2003, 07:48 AM
I am interested in a simple home theatre setup for a small family room and I do not want to bother with running speaker wires to the front and back. The Bose 321 is a perfect solution (though I do not need the DVD player) but for the price (too high) and the bad reviews I have seen. Is there another simple solution like this that is cheaper and reasonable for sound quality?

I used to have a JVC receiver that can create surround sound from a pair of front speakers. It works quite well you may consider it. JVC RX-7030 has msrp of $330 and the actual price should be well below that. Add a good pair of speakers as Wooch suggested or get less expensive alternative like B&W 303 and you are set. Throw in a subwoofer and this system will blow away 321 at a lower price. Good luck.

woodman
12-24-2003, 01:54 PM
Let me backup, second, certify, reinforce, support, agree with, confirm, and reiterate everything that Wooch said here.

I would only add or change one thing he said ... that is, I don't ascribe to the idea that it's only a conspiracy theory that Bose has devious reasons for their proprietary connections ... I believe it to be a fact. That's the way the company always makes business (marketing) decisions, and I think that this lack of ethics, morals, you-name-it - is sufficient reason for everyone to refuse to do business with them!

Just about everybody will "bash" Bose for strictly performance issues, but my MAIN objection to the company lies along moral grounds.

Wooch gave you very good advice - I highly urge you to follow it.

bluevisor
01-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!

My brother has given me his old Yamaha 5650 receiver, but I need speakers. As I am a graudate student, the B&W 602's and Paradigm Monitor 5's are out of my price range.

As I am looking for a similar setup (just 2 fronts with no speaker wires runnnig everywhere) that I can expand over time is there a less expensive pair of quality speakers that you can recommend to get me started?

Does anyone sell B&W or Paradigm online? I love the B&W 602's that I demoed.

Keith from Canada
01-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone!

My brother has given me his old Yamaha 5650 receiver, but I need speakers. As I am a graudate student, the B&W 602's and Paradigm Monitor 5's are out of my price range.

As I am looking for a similar setup (just 2 fronts with no speaker wires runnnig everywhere) that I can expand over time is there a less expensive pair of quality speakers that you can recommend to get me started?

There are many speaker companies out their that offer good value for the money at a number of different price points. I think the Paradigm and B&W were referenced because they are similar in price to the Bose system that the original poster was considering. My advice would be to check out the rest of the Paradigm line and try to find something that more closely fits your budget. Other companies that offer similar 'bang-for-the-buck' include PSB, Energy, Mission, Klipsch, etc. Have a look (and listen) around, it shouldn't take you too long to find a pair that fit your needs and budget.

By the by...this thread contains phenomenal advice concerning the limitations of Bose. VERY nice job Woochifer and Woodman...I couldn't agree more with all that you've said.

AVMASTER
01-17-2004, 08:54 AM
if you still want to recreate a surround effect the only other alternate would be the new Denon system, model # dm71dvsxp
this system will create a surround effect ( small rooms only) with just a pair of speakers and matching sub but unlike the bose system it can be fully upgrade to a 5.1 system.
If sound quality matters (and looks), i highly recommend this system over any HTIB without the surround speakers connected
expect to spend $1k for complete system
$700. without sub
$600. without speakers

Willow
01-19-2004, 06:37 AM
go with anything but Bose !! I have made the mistake in purchasing a Bose product...it's now a second system collecting dust bunnies in the bedroom...its on for the news when we get dressed for work thats it !! (what a waste of cash !!!)

as keith mentioned energy system or psb even polk audio geez anything but Bose. I also had the problem of trying to ugrade the Bose with no luck and I was not going to spend 100$ US (im in canada) that amout could be part of the price of a new sub !! yes it may be convenient to plug in 3 cables and let their so called receiver calibrate....you can save money and just put some time in and calibrate your sys by yourself...save lots of money and headaches in the long run