Rolls/Bellari VP129 TUBE phono preamp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rolls/Bellari VP129 TUBE phono preamp

Analoguer
01-31-2005, 05:45 PM
:D To a jaundiced audiophiliac used to sky-hi prices for audio gear of decent quality, this little gem from the pro-audio ranks is well worthy consideration to cheapskate vinyl junkies in terminal sticker shock @ hi-end prices! I picked up mine on ebay for $80 but it can be bought new for $150. The sound quality is very good: it only lacks a deep 3D soundstage one expects from tubes. If that is all important to you, spend another $350-400 plus tax on the Pro-ject Tube Box, to which I consider the VP129 is only slightly inferior: having heard both using my own turntable. They both use the same tube too: the Sovtek 12AX7LPS - about $12each @ PartsExpress.com. It's certainly a distinct improvement over the MM output of my Musical Fidelity preamp - which had the cheek to give out after only 22 years! :mad:
Only downside: insufficient gain for low-output moving coil cartridges. But it's plenty for my Dynavector 10X I've just purchased.
Has a headphone input and level controls so you can feed directly to a power amp(s) as a bonus. hook it up to an aux input to your preamp otherwise.
www.rolls.com
Bellari VP129 tube phono preamp
MSRP $200.

ericl
01-31-2005, 06:15 PM
http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_332937_1591crx.aspx

Looks really cool, I'm tempted to grab one! I'd love to see some reviews on this.