Best wireless music receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best wireless music receiver?

dmb_fan
01-31-2005, 02:02 PM
Hello all, it's been a very long time since I've posted here. I recently set up a wireless computer network at home and with new lossless ripping technology and cheap hard drive storage, I'm eager to rip all my CD's to hard drives and to finally put my 1,000+ cd's in storage. I want that wall back!

There are several wireless music receivers available from crutchfield.com and another popular model seems to be the squeezebox from slimdevices.com

Does anyone have any experience with any of these products? Right now, my two channel preamp does not include digital inputs, so I'd be using the analog outputs from my wireless receiver, and hence am particularly interested in their DAC and analogue output capabilities as well as the usual reliability and longevity concerns.

Thanks in advance!
-Adam

plextor guy
02-02-2005, 01:56 PM
no experience myself but I'm considering taking the plunge. Maximum PC, a pc hardware mag, gave it 10/10 stars something they rarely do. It's had good to great reviews elsewhere and supports all the usual formats (even ogg, flac and uncompressed). The company that sells the squeezebox also offers a cd ripping service. I'll post a review if and when I buy it.

BillB
02-02-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm working my way to a Squeezebox as well. It's gotten great reviews on sound quality, is nice looking, and has tremendous customer support and a huge community. Slim Devices, the manufacturer, opened it up completely to users and hold "Plug-In Of The Month" contests to see who can write the coolest addition to the software.

I'm literally in the process of ripping my 600+ CD collection to my PC for use with the Squeezebox and a Dell DJ. I'll be using the Squeezebox a story above my main listening area on a secondary system when we're entertaining or doing stuff around the house.

Bill