I finally figured out what MP3s are good for... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I finally figured out what MP3s are good for...

nobody
01-31-2005, 01:32 PM
THE CAR!

I've listened to MP3s a bit and was never impressed. The sound's just not to my liking when I listen at home on my decent stereo. They sound OK, until I hear the same thing on a regular CD or on vinyl, and then the MP3s are ruined for me.

But, in the car, on my crappy car stereo, they're just fine, can't tell the difference. And, I can put like 10 CDs on one disc. I'm working on making a semi-permanent collection just for the car. I can stuff about 10 slimcases in the armrest CD case in my car, that's about 100 CDs worth of MP3s, should be enough for a portable library. Then, I can stop having to carry in and out so many CDs all the time and gettig them littered all over the car.

I'll probably just make up about 8 with all time favorites, and rotate a couple with newer stuff, should last me quite a while before having to change anything.

I'm still not a hiuge fan for listening at home. Even stuff I can download for free gets purchased if I like it and expect to listen to it regularly. But, for portability in a place where the sound's always crap already, they're perfect.

Anybody else do anything like this?

Stone
01-31-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm still not a hiuge fan for listening at home. Even stuff I can download for free gets purchased if I like it and expect to listen to it regularly. But, for portability in a place where the sound's always crap already, they're perfect.

Agreed. That's why I lisen to MP3s (via iPod) at the gym and on airplanes. And last night, on our bus trip back from a firm seminar, I listened to the iPod. It's great for those kind of situations.

Anybody else do anything like this?

Not for the car (especially since I don't think my car stereo plays MP3s), but when I was on the road for weeks on end last year, I burned a CD with numerous albums worth of MP3s so I could listen in the mornings or in the evenings on my computer in the hotel room.

Jim Clark
01-31-2005, 02:28 PM
I really like to listen before I buy, MP3's are great for that. The Obner geniuses have set up a private network that is awfully cool, but there isn't much I want to d/l off of it. What I've been doing is downloading some bootleg shows from Easytree.org and a couple of other places. Just got this 2 disc soundboard bootleg from the B-52-s and it's incredible. The lossless format is just the ticket and I'm a true believer in these SBD recordings. Amazing. My tuesday spiel will be pretty cool for a change.

jc

ForeverAutumn
01-31-2005, 03:13 PM
That's a great idea. The map pockets in my car are always overloaded with CDs. Unfortunately, my current car stereo doesn't play MP3s. But my lease is up in December, so I'll add MP3 player to the "must have" list for the new car....right along with Sun Roof for the summer and Heated Seats for the winter.

Ex Lion Tamer
01-31-2005, 07:21 PM
so I'll add MP3 player to the "must have" list for the new car....right along with Sun Roof for the summer and Heated Seats for the winter.

Just started a lease on a new van...Heated seats are THE BOMB!!!!!! My tush never felt cozyer.

jasn
02-01-2005, 05:53 AM
I don't even know if my car player will do mp3s. I'll have to check it out. I've gotten into the habit of using a CD wallet for the car that holds about 24 discs. It works well, but I've gotten behind in putting them away sometimes, and leave the old stack on top of my home rack. Let that happen a few times and man! Re-filing 50-75 discs at once is a major drag!

After years of being a vinyl freak, with the discwasher and stylus brush and only holding a record by the edge, I don't take nearly as good care of my digital collection.