Alternative to YPAO? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to YPAO?

swarna
01-31-2005, 08:34 AM
"What is YPAO? Yamaha's unique YPAO System analyzes the acoustics of your room and adjusts various speaker parameters to provide the optimum sound at the listening position. It's like having a professional audio engineer tweak your system."

My Yamaha receiver (5740) won't have YPAO system. Is there an alternate way to analyze and adjust speakers' level etc.?

Thank you

recoveryone
01-31-2005, 11:15 AM
yeah, go to Radio Shack and pick up the analog (damn forgot the name) meter

kexodusc
01-31-2005, 11:30 AM
You can do quite well calibrating your system with measuring tape and an SPL meter (about $40 at Radio Shack).
I strongly recommend a test disc like Sound & Vision's or Avia's...By the way, does anyone have one they'd care to sell? Lost mine
To be fair I've found the that the little microphone in YPAO and the chipset do as good or better a job than I can with an SPL meter and a test disc...I use the Analog meter rather than the Digital...but the difference is minimal.

YPAO also checks for proper wiring, presence of speakers, their "size" and optionally does some in room equalization. The first 3 can be done manually with ease, but the last is potentially a real, significant benefit. My experience with it has been rather hit or miss though, in my rooms, I can't tell a difference between the eq'd settings, and the non-eq'd settings. The rest is a real nice convenient feature, but not absolutely necessary.

Enjoy the 5740, nice unit.