Newcomer in search of advice! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer in search of advice!

Shwamdoo
01-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Hello,

I am fairly new to the world of home audio but I am entirely enthusiastic. For the past few months I have been touring home audio forums and the local audio retailers listening and gathering whatever knowledge I can. Other than the fact that I am a high-school student with an extremely limited budget, my only problem is that I have a limited knowledge of how to approach home audio. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some resources that will help me to learn about both the mechanics of how a stereo works and what to value when listening to a stereo. I imagine that there are several sources of this type I just don't know which ones are credible.

Also, any advice on well respected brands with affordable products would be greatly appreciated.

wsdavies
01-30-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm by no means any sort of an expert, so take my advice as you will. I'd say keep doing what you are doing. The more you seek the more you will find. Good sound is what you prefer. It's great to read reviews and get good ideas of message boards, but nothing beats hearing it for your self...

RGA
01-30-2005, 07:17 PM
I would not do what I did which was rely on stereop magazines and internet forums - which makes this advie paradoxical admittedly.

There are several key things to think about.

- what kind of music do you like to listen to now and what might you like later (Ie; I like rap today but I might dig Beethoven tomorrow and not all speakers are good at doing both and many are good at neither and a few good at both)

- do I want surround sound home theater or 2 channel music - some spekaers and equipment are better at one or the other - and if I want both I ma spend more than a new Honda Civic

- How important are looks - plenty of great looking bug name speakers that will get trounced by the ugly duckling no name - so is it about the music or about impressing your friends - I say this not to be condescending but Bose is the number one seller and a generally caca sound.

- BUDGET. do you want to spend $700.00 for a speaker now or wait a year to get the $2000.00 speaker you really want. Or do you plan smart and buy the $200.00 tide me over now and plan for the "I love that speaker" product two years from now.

I would then audition - try and listen to stuff well beyond your price range - I don;t know what you;re price range is but if you were planning to spend $1500.00US on a very good two channel music system then I would be listening to systems around $50,000.00. Find the one that truly impresses and see what they have priced in your budget - you may find some striking similarities. (this is what I did - I went out heard the best system I had ever heard by a fair margin and am trying to build a system as close to what I heard as is financially possible).

Then I would read this Published article on how to find the best gear - ignore the fact that a company wrote it because it applies to ANY company you listen to - it takes TIME and requires you listen to a lot of gear. Otherwise you may end up on the upgrade road which is kinda hell on your pocket book in the long run. http://www.audionote.co.uk/anp1.htm

bargainseeker
01-30-2005, 07:23 PM
I am fairly new to the world of home audio but I am entirely enthusiastic. For the past few months I have been touring home audio forums and the local audio retailers listening and gathering whatever knowledge I can. Other than the fact that I am a high-school student with an extremely limited budget, my only problem is that I have a limited knowledge of how to approach home audio. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some resources that will help me to learn about both the mechanics of how a stereo works and what to value when listening to a stereo. I imagine that there are several sources of this type I just don't know which ones are credible.

Also, any advice on well respected brands with affordable products would be greatly appreciated.A very good place to get home audio information is the Audioholics Tech Tips and Buying Guides (http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/index.php) section.

To make specific recommendations on brands and products, I would need more information on the size of your budget and which audio components you want covered by that budget. For example, the best brands of inexpensive Home Theater In a Box systems are not the best brands of speakers to buy if your budget is slightly higher and you can pick different brands for the receiver and speakers.

midfiguy
01-31-2005, 10:18 AM
Shwamdoo,

I think you're a step ahead of alot of us in that you have the internet as a great resource to ask questions, read information, and gain knowledge about the audio/video world.

One thing you're going to find with audio/home theater, etc is that everything is pretty subjective. Time and time again, you'll find someone who loves a product, and someone else who hates it. Lesson? Keep YOUR tastes in mind. There are definately lots of things to pick up in forums, articles, etc, but don't lose site of what's most important, your satisfaction. Many times, people tend to get lost in numbers, value, price, etc and forget about the true sound of a speaker/performance of equipment.

If you're trying to learn some A/V basics, Crutchfield.com has some excellent articles on surround formats, how AV systems work, amps vs recievers, types of speaker choices, HDTV vs SD and EDTV, etc. While it won't give you all of the technical background behind it, you'll learn alot and probably enough from these articles. Look here:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-qWXLw168YoQ/learningcenter/home/?listAll=1

Of course, you can always ask a question about a topic here and people will be more than happy the answer.

Another thing, don't rush getting a complete system right away. If you need to, wait and build your system of quality components piece by piece. I'm not saying go out and spend $2000 on speakers. What I AM saying is don't go out and but some $75/pr sony speakers because that's what your budget allows. When I was in high school, I was so obsessed with particular equipment that I took some side jobs and dedicated all of the funds from it to my new system. Before long, let's just say I had a better system than anyone else in my high school, and it was worth every hour of work!

Don't feel like you have to get the best there is out there right now either. Trust me, once you enter this world, it's an endless world of upgrading and desire to upgrade! Little by little, you'll get better and better equipment.

Good luck!

Shwamdoo
01-31-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks alot for the advice. What you all had to say was extremly helpfull and the links are great too. As far as magazines or books, which ones are the most credible and usefull?

bargainseeker
01-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks alot for the advice. What you all had to say was extremly helpfull and the links are great too. As far as magazines or books, which ones are the most credible and usefull?The most authoritative magazine on all things audio is the Audio Engineering Society Journal. If you are truly interested in audio, perhaps as a profession, then I can think of nothing better than to see if a nearby university library or downtown library has back issues of this periodical available for you to read.

f0rge
02-01-2005, 06:11 AM
one thing i always tell anyone who is new and looking at speakers (and something i learned the hard way) is that big, loud, strong bass from a speaker that vibrates your pants in the showroom may impress you at first, but it doesnt make a good speaker. look for quality highs and mids you like, you can always add a huge subwoofer later.

kexodusc
02-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Shwamdoo: Be careful about everything you read, and hear from others. There's soooo much voodoo, myth, and snake-oil in the audio industry, and it's easy to get caught up in the hype. A ton of manufacturers pass off "technological advancements" as revolutionary, when really their just a slight spin on a very old concept...Fancy brochures, pretty designs and flashing lights does not make something better.
Size does not necessarily matter, numbers and specs are too often "exaggerated", and more is not always better. Especially when it comes to money.

You're already waaaay ahead of a lot of us when we were in High School...I bought the big name, big store stuff first, then wondered why it sounded so crappy compared to the "noname" stuff some of my relatives had. That's when I started asking better questions.

Good luck, welcome to the forums.