The Rave Rec'ers are heading to New Orleans!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Rave Rec'ers are heading to New Orleans!!!

Swish
12-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Some of you may remember that I posted some months ago to ask if anyone was interested in joining me on a trip to the famous New Orleans Jazz Fest next year. I am posting this update in case anyone else had an interest in attending. It looks like at least eight of us will be there and I still have some hotel rooms reserved if anyone else is interested. I can cancel the room(s) right up until the day before the Fest, so no worries there.

Anyway, we're heading there for the second weekend of the Fest, which will commence on April 29th and end on May 1st. That's four days of great live music for only about $20 per day per person. The lineups have not yet been announced, but it's always excellent, with plenty of variety to please everyone. The very name is a misleading because there will be plenty of blues, rock, folk, zydeco, R & B, along with Jazz, so don't get the wrong impression. This will be my second Jazz Fest, and I promise that you will not be disappointed or I'll pay for your trip. Ok, that's a joke, but you will like it. We'll also be heading to the infamous French Quarter and to some late night blues clubs, at least I know I will! They go until all hours and it's a total blast.

So far we have DLD and his wife, ChipB and his wife, AudioBill and his wife, along we me and Mrs. Swish. AudioGirl and her hubby may also show up, but will let us know later. Anyway, if anyone else is interested in joining us, please reply and I'll get you all the pertinent info.

Regards,
Swish

ForeverAutumn
12-19-2003, 01:18 PM
That sounds like such a blast! I wish we could make it, but we're saving our pennies for a 10th Anniversary trip to San Francisco in June or July.

I, personally, would give up San Fran to meet all of you folks....but...well...my hubby just doesn't have the same fondness for you all that I do. ;)

DarrenH
12-19-2003, 01:37 PM
That sounds like such a blast! I wish we could make it, but we're saving our pennies for a 10th Anniversary trip to San Francisco in June or July.

I, personally, would give up San Fran to meet all of you folks....but...well...my hubby just doesn't have the same fondness for you all that I do. ;)

You gonna hang out in the Haight-Asbury district with flowers in your hair? Smoke some mother nature and sing folk songs perhaps? hehehe. Just kidding Autumn. Sounds like a great trip.

I would love to do both of those.....and Nearfest also. Just can't afford those luxuries at this time.

Have a great holiday season.

Darren

Chip_B
12-19-2003, 08:28 PM
We're really looking forward to the trip. I suspect we'll enjoy seeing 'Nawlins' and getting to know some of our fellow Rave Wreckers as much as the music.

dld
12-19-2003, 09:09 PM
Looking forward to meet all you great folks. And the after hours nightlife should be legendary. Last year, Sonny Landreth and another guitar God (whose name escapes me inebriated brain at the moment) played after hours at some dive near the Garden District, geez, how good would that have been? One word of advice, do NOT drink the Dixie beer. It will make you ill :( you want local in New Orleans, drink Abita, it will make you happy :D

tentoze
12-19-2003, 09:22 PM
Looking forward to meet all you great folks. And the after hours nightlife should be legendary. Last year, Sonny Landreth and another guitar God (whose name escapes me inebriated brain at the moment) played after hours at some dive near the Garden District, geez, how good would that have been? One word of advice, do NOT drink the Dixie beer. It will make you ill :( you want local in New Orleans, drink Abita, it will make you happy :D

Wish that it didn't coincide with such an unsettled time for me, so that I could indulge in Nawlins and the J-fest- last one I was at was ..umm 1984, I think. Ya'll party hard now, ya hear?

And amen on the Dixie beer avoidance rec, dld- BLEEECHHHH.................

Dusty Chalk
12-19-2003, 10:23 PM
So far we have DLD and his wife, ChipB and his wife, AudioBill and his wife, along we me and Mrs. Swish. AudioGirl and her hubby may also show up, but will let us know later. Anyway, if anyone else is interested in joining us, please reply and I'll get you all the pertinent info.Yeah, but are any cool people going?

DarrenH
12-19-2003, 11:12 PM
And amen on the Dixie beer avoidance rec, dld- BLEEECHHHH.................

Is it worse than Lone Star beer? Is Lone Star even still brewed?

Lone Star made a brief appearance here in Michigan some years ago. I recollect not liking it very much.

Give me a dark stout any day of the week. Guiness will work.

Swish
12-20-2003, 04:00 AM

I still have the 3 at the Hampton, so let me know! I've had the Abita, and I'll try to remember not to drink any other local stuff. I have to warn you though, after a 6 pack or so, I won't be concerned about what I'm drinking, so you may have to keep an eye on me. :D

Thanks,
Swish

ForeverAutumn
12-20-2003, 06:09 AM
Hey Swish! I sent you a PM. This trip may not be out of the question for us. :cool:

Jim Clark
12-20-2003, 08:08 AM
Yeah, but are any cool people going?

One of them isn't!

You all have a great time and help keep each other out of custody, OK? Wish I could go but we're taking two weeks off to do the Orlando thing this year and don't think we can pull it off. These youngin's of mine can really gum up the works on occasion. Just make sure someone has a digital camera!

jc

Troy
12-20-2003, 09:11 AM

Look me up when you get out left.

Nawlins is an endless party. Have a ball youz guyz!

tentoze
12-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Is it worse than Lone Star beer? Is Lone Star even still brewed?

Lone Star made a brief appearance here in Michigan some years ago. I recollect not liking it very much.

Give me a dark stout any day of the week. Guiness will work.

Trust me on this one- It is worse than hog vomit.

Swish
12-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Hey Swish! I sent you a PM. This trip may not be out of the question for us. :cool:

so let me know what else I can tell you.

Swish Baby

dld
12-20-2003, 03:45 PM
On a hot hot day (103 and above), after two hours of yard work, if you have an Ice cold Lone Star, and I mean right out of the bottom of the ice chest with little frozen thingees clinging to the bottle cold, and it MUST be in a bottle, you could get a Lone Star down. As far as I know, theres no way to get a bottled Dixie down. Although on draft, at Cafe Maspara, at $1.25/per, I think I may have had one or two a long time ago.

Snowbunny
12-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Post 41.....

And the race to beat Junior to Junior is on!!!

Snowbunny
12-20-2003, 06:13 PM
"Trying his hardest to progress from a "Site Newbie" to a "Junior Member" or even, gasp, a "Site Regular".

Urggghhhh... you've got about three hours to catch up, Junior!

Snowbunny
12-20-2003, 06:18 PM
Post 40

Snowbunny
12-20-2003, 06:21 PM
Post 42....

Stuck On You won out over Bad Santa. The "other Miss Canada" is to blame if this movie sucks! Heheh....

Chip_B
12-20-2003, 09:00 PM
At the rate I'm posting, I won't graduate to 'site regular' until around 2023.

dld
12-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Ebert and Roeper are reveiwing it tonight . S/B fun. As usual, Medow, I lag far behind you in many areas, not just # of posts ;)

NP, Phantom Of The Opera, original cast recording on Black Licorice Pizza. Disc 1, side 1, is one great side of music. # 36 and counting. Prolly be asleep before I get to 37.

Snowbunny
12-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Ebert and Roeper are reveiwing it tonight . S/B fun. As usual, Medow, I lag far behind you in many areas, not just # of posts ;)

NP, Phantom Of The Opera, original cast recording on Black Licorice Pizza. Disc 1, side 1, is one great side of music. # 36 and counting. Prolly be asleep before I get to 37.

Hey Darlin', we have a WINNER! Guess who got to 50 first? Well, 50 posts! :p

Yeah, don't tell FA, but I wasn't too impressed with Stuck On You. Some soundtrack (eg: Kill Bill) are just kick-ass good and some like Stuck On You just don't have the magic. I won't give away the plot (like I could, after all the trailers they released) but it wasn't nearly as funny as Something About Mary. I'd still give it a 3 out of 5, however.

Wait till you see the trailers for HELLBOY! I CANNOT wait!!! Prolly go see Lord of the Rings, Lost in Translation (boy this is small release or something), and a handfull of other flicks over the holiday season.

Love Actually, was not stellar, but did manage to bring a tear to my eye, which does not often happen to me at the movies. Still all and all only rates about 2.5 outta 3.

Watched Titanic again last night. What an epic! Now that made this bunny shed a few!

Meadow (maybe we should be hanging out on the film board, but all they talk about is The Terminator and geeky boy movies!)

dld
12-22-2003, 02:10 PM
but He!!, even this ol non critic loved it. A very nice turn for Billy Murray. Not a single thing got all blowed up (ooops, did I give someth9ing away? ). I won't say anything other than this is a very surprising movie. Enjoy! #40.

Go TIGERS!!!

Snowbunny
12-22-2003, 02:26 PM
but He!!, even this ol non critic loved it. A very nice turn for Billy Murray. Not a single thing got all blowed up (ooops, did I give someth9ing away? ). I won't say anything other than this is a very surprising movie. Enjoy! #40.

Go TIGERS!!!

Critics darking? WTH does that mean? #40? Is that how it rated overall? :)

I meant 2.5 outta 5 for Love Actually. :rolleyes:

Is Tigers what they calls them LSU football players? Heheheh... you get a lotta tigers hiding in them swamps???

Snowbunny
12-22-2003, 02:33 PM

Then get busy and start rambling!

HAHAHAHAH! Combat Kitty! That is the funniest avatar ever! Tell me you didn't set up that photo shoot, Chipster!

Swish
12-22-2003, 03:03 PM

in an e-mail my dad sent me, and he sends me lots of e-mail. He's 81 with nothing better to do much of the day, although he's in great shape and has a great sense of humor.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
12-22-2003, 07:31 PM
in an e-mail my dad sent me, and he sends me lots of e-mail. He's 81 with nothing better to do much of the day, although he's in great shape and has a great sense of humor.

Swish

Hey Swish, tell your Dad to quit emailing me. :D

Just kidding. I did see that email though. The heading was something about cats drinking too much tequila...I can't quite remember.

ForeverAutumn
12-22-2003, 07:33 PM
Yeah, don't tell FA, but I wasn't too impressed with Stuck On You. I'd still give it a 3 out of 5, however.

Really? You weren't impressed? I agree with you that There's Something About Mary was better. But I still really enjoyed Stuck... and laughed pretty much through the whole movie.

Tomorrow afternoon we're leaving work early and catching a 2:00 showing of Elf. I hate Will Farrell, but I hear that the movie is pretty funny in spite of him. Even if it sucks, it beats staying at work all day. ;)

dld
12-22-2003, 08:55 PM
drop all sense of belief (Duh) FA, and you'll prolly enjoy Elf. A real Christmassy spirit show. And Will does has his moments in the flick. I can report that he does not shoot beers and then go streaking. Enjoy!!

Snowbunny
12-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Really? You weren't impressed? I agree with you that There's Something About Mary was better. But I still really enjoyed Stuck... and laughed pretty much through the whole movie.

Tomorrow afternoon we're leaving work early and catching a 2:00 showing of Elf. I hate Will Farrell, but I hear that the movie is pretty funny in spite of him. Even if it sucks, it beats staying at work all day. ;)

Well, I was a little cranky since my friend and I were the only people in the audience over 14! That may have had something to do with my general impression of the movie, since they never stopped fooling around once during the entire show. One of them the little buggers even had a lazer pointer which he/she used to point out all the naughty bits on the actors. :p

As I said in another post, I loved ELF. Although, if you hate Will Farrell, there's not much chance you'll warm up to his character. :(

Did you see we have a poster from St. John's, Autumn? Which one is that? Us over here on the west coast always mix it up with St. Johns.

Snowie

Chip_B
12-23-2003, 07:33 AM
Then get busy and start rambling!

HAHAHAHAH! Combat Kitty! That is the funniest avatar ever! Tell me you didn't set up that photo shoot, Chipster!
I'd love to take credit for the avatar, but as Paul says, it's in an email making the rounds. The text is something like: "What happens when you have (a) too much time on your hands, (b) drink too much tequila, (c) have a sharp knife and a large lime, and (d) it's the middle of football season?

Since we have three 'unique' cats ourselves, it seemed like the perfect avatar.

BTW, we saw Return of the King last night...epic! I'm already pining away for the DVD release next year.

ForeverAutumn
12-23-2003, 08:03 AM
Did you see we have a poster from St. John's, Autumn? Which one is that? Us over here on the west coast always mix it up with St. Johns.

No, I didn't see that there was a poster from St. John's. And I'm not sure which is which either. It's so confusing!

FELLOW CANADIAN, PLEASE IDENTIFY YOURSELF SO THAT WE MAY ALL DRINK A BEER AND HUM OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM --- THE HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA THEME SONG.

Hey Snowie, my new cell phone plays the Hockey Night in Canada Theme Song. How cool is that?! I also downloaded No-one Knows by Queens of the Stoneage. No-one that I work with has any idea what song my phone is playing when it rings. They are all so uncool. :rolleyes: