New 3 Head Cassette Deck [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New 3 Head Cassette Deck

Arc45
01-30-2005, 04:55 PM
My old cheapo tape deck is broken. I am looking at spending up to $500 on a new one.

I have tried to find anyone selling Sony ES decks but they are next to impossible to find.

My next would be a Tascam 130.

Any thoughts on what to buy.

FYI I am running an ARC VT100 MKIII amp w and ARC LS15 preamp and Martin Logan Ascents.

If I spend anything more on my stereo system now my wife is going to kill me so thus I've put a limit of around $500 (though I could be persuaded to go higher)

Thanks in advance!

royphil345
01-31-2005, 12:04 AM
I don't really know what's out there now as far as higher-end cassette decks go. I have one of the less expensive Sony dual decks (maybe 3 years old?) and I can say that for the price it's very good. Lots of features and what really surprised me is how well they all work. Using the automatic tape bias calibration and even the automatic recording level control with cheap normal bias tapes, I get results you would have needed a much pricier deck to achieve in the past (probably a chrome tape as well). Like the sound for playback also. With a system as nice as yours, you would definitely benefit from an ES version though. Might be worth it to find one.

royphil345
02-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Seems Sony has discontinued the 3-head single well model. Too bad, because it was nice and priced much lower than the Tascam.

The only ES model Sony is offering now (in the USA) is the exact same 2-head, dual motor, (per well) dual well model that I have. Only difference is the ES model has Dolby S. I always thought mine was a great deal though, which explains why the design hasn't changed and is being sold as an ES with the Dolby S added. The non-ES decks look different from mine now. Maybe lower quality. Don't seem to have auto bias.

A 3-head deck is definitely going to have an edge on playback / recording quality.

Although, a 2-head Sony model might surprise you and perform better than your old deck. A down side to almost all auto-reverse decks is that they seem to require a tape-head alignment more often. I did need to have mine adjusted once. They've remained perfect for a couple years now though.

Guess it's just how much you're willing to spend. That Tascam looks pretty darn nice!!!

Arc45
02-01-2005, 06:58 PM
I bought it. I have been lstening to this player for 5 hours now. I am awestruck. The flatness across the spectrum is excellent. I've never heard a cassette sound this good.

Very warm sounding. The highs were unexepected. Resolution excellent.

Long live tape!!

royphil345
02-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Cool!!! You did it.

Think I can safely say you bought one of the best 3-head decks made today. (One of the very few 3-head decks made today...lol)

shokhead
02-02-2005, 06:26 AM
Whats a cassette? Dont those thing use a tape stuff? I think i remember that tape stuff. LOL

royphil345
02-02-2005, 09:48 AM
The Sony is a bit on the warm side also. Decided I like that in a cassette deck. Replaced a Yamaha that was a little bright to my ears. I'm sure you get a better frequency range with the 3-head though.