HK vs Marantz + DACs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HK vs Marantz + DACs

StanleyMuso
01-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Hi
I posted similar questions in the digital forum, but no responses, so here goes - there are really two parts to my query.

I have a Marantz DV4300 to serve both my film and music needs. I know that purists say that a CD player will outperform a DVD player for music, but I really did not want two machines in my rack (and besides, there's also the extra money consideration). So far, I have only a straight, old fashioned stereo rig with no digital processing. I now want to expand my system into full surround by getting a good AV receiver and intend to use the stereo rig for the fronts by using the pre-out on whatever I happen to get.

Question 1: - are the DACs in receivers better quality than those built into the DVD players? In other words, will I be better off using the receiver's dacs to process my CDs and just use the DVD player as a transport, or should I continue using the analogue outs on the player which are connected directly to my pre-amp?

At the moment, I'm tossing up between a Marantz (perhaps the 5500) or a Harmon Kardon. Marantz I have researched, but don't know all that much (yet) about the HK. This is my second question - has any body done a comparison between the two? Which of the two is a better performer sound wise and reliability wise?

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts and suggestions.