Why you sometimes want to PUNCH your friends!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why you sometimes want to PUNCH your friends!!!

Worf101
01-30-2005, 09:22 AM
I've a friend at work, lets call him Bruce. Bruice is a nice, well meaining kinda guy who recently decided to dive into HT. With my guidance he got himselfe a fairly nice set up..

Yamaha 1500 Receiver
32-In LCD
Hsu Sub...
Leftover speakers.. (Were gonna go to work on that)

He had everything he needed and some truly nice gear BUT, he had no patience... Bruce decided to "help me out" by hooking up his system by himself... Sigh.. I spent 3 hours undoing his "help". Mismatched wiring, speakers out of phase, biwired speakers in a system that didn't need it. Monsterously large speakers from the 70's that couldn't be moved easily... Sigh what a mess. But we got it built. I got there at 5, got home at 9. What a day... System sounded marvelous though....

Da Worfster :rolleyes:

paul_pci
01-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Saint Worf,

This is exactly why they sell handcuffs to the general public.

cam
01-30-2005, 03:36 PM
First you slap your boy upside the head and now you want to punch out your friends. Worfster, you have got to relax bro. You have a short fuse. And may I add, a really tight headlock can be alot more effective especially when you grind the side of your forearm into the side of their neck while they are squeeling like a little girl.

Woochifer
01-30-2005, 11:15 PM
Well, the alternative would've been to just suggest a Bose Lifestyle system. Of course, if you do that deed, then you'd be excommunicated from the AR community and burn in hell!

Smokey
01-31-2005, 12:17 AM
With my guidance he got himselfe a fairly nice set up.

Your friend is no surprise. Look who is his mentor :D

I know what you mean Worf. This is as bad as when you see your friend's audio setup who have an equalizer, and all of slides are maxed out :mad:

kexodusc
01-31-2005, 05:14 AM
Speaker out of phase...what is it with people and this concept? I too have a "Bruce", who has a very nice system, Yamah RX-Z9 or some huge monstrosity of a a/v receiver, 7 of B&W 700 series speakers and a big Velodyne sub to boot...The guy had the surrounds wired wrong (backs and sides were mixed up) and they were out of phase to boot. The sub's xo was maxed out and the volume was way too low.
To top it all off he had the receiver stuck in "night mode" to compress then dynamics, and the levels on the speakers were horrible.
What's worse, this freakin' receiver has the grand-daddy version of YPAO in it, I'm not sure how it could possibly sound this bad unless the guy purposely avoided the manual.

He couldn't believe how good his system sounded, and then thought I was some sort of miracle worker when I made it sound even better.
Being the Thrifty-o-phile that I am, it really ticked me off that money bags could just walk into a store after Christmas and buy all this stuff on a whim, then butcher it.

Cam, you'll have to teach me that forearm grinding trick...

Worf101
01-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Sigh I needed some encouragement... I did forget one bad/good thing though. Bruce has a brand new dog, a yellow Lab puppy of about 7 months... every try wiring a receiver with a dawg hoppin and lickin all over you? I wanted to get mad but couldn't help but laugh sometimes...

Cam- You're probably an ex-wrestler and I know that wrestling is great for submission and in-close work, but I was alway a boxer.

Kex - I feel, litterally your pain. I guess this movie has sequels playing all over town.

Wooch - Wash your mouth out wif soap. But you want to know the truth. His Wife would've loved a Bose system, truly. Particularly since he trotted out his old Technics, vinyl covered towers as his mains. I'm gonna give him an old pair of EPI 100s I've no use for as mains.

Thanks folks, I really appreciate the love.

Da Worfster ;)

JSE
01-31-2005, 12:08 PM
I got a call a few weeks ago from a friend. He told me he had just bought a HT system and needed help getting the DVD player hooked up. I thought, easy enough, hopped in the truck and drove over. 5 hours later, I was finished. :mad: When I got there, I found a new DVR Box from the cable company and a (Drum Roll, Please!) big box. Yep, a HTIB. None of it was even unpacked. I looked at him with this look like I was going to hurt him and he said he would take me and the wife to dinner. Of course, I was hungry and hey, it's a free dinner. :confused:

It was the biggest pain in the ARSE to hook up. I thought these things were supposed to be easy? Oh, and the entertainment center they have is about 7 feet tall and 3 feet deep by about a football field wide and heavy as a truck. Of course it had to be moved out to get the back of the components. Oh, and they have new wood floors so we just could not slide the behemoth out, we had to lift it up and put cardboard under it. Fun night! 5 hours, 2 gallons and sweat, and a backache later, I sat down to a nice dinner. Got a 24 ounce ribeye annnnnnnnnnd, they overcooked it. I did not care. I choked it down with some fine brew.

Oh and BTW, it sounds like crap!

JSE

Worf101
01-31-2005, 12:30 PM
I got a call a few weeks ago from a friend. He told me he had just bought a HT system and needed help getting the DVD player hooked up. I thought, easy enough, hopped in the truck and drove over. 5 hours later, I was finished. :mad: When I got there, I found a new DVR Box from the cable company and a (Drum Roll, Please!) big box. Yep, a HTIB. None of it was even unpacked. I looked at him with this look like I was going to hurt him and he said he would take me and the wife to dinner. Of course, I was hungry and hey, it's a free dinner. :confused:

It was the biggest pain in the ARSE to hook up. I thought these things were supposed to be easy? Oh, and the entertainment center they have is about 7 feet tall and 3 feet deep by about a football field wide and heavy as a truck. Of course it had to be moved out to get the back of the components. Oh, and they have new wood floors so we just could not slide the behemoth out, we had to lift it up and put cardboard under it. Fun night! 5 hours, 2 gallons and sweat, and a backache later, I sat down to a nice dinner. Got a 24 ounce ribeye annnnnnnnnnd, they overcooked it. I did not care. I choked it down with some fine brew.

Oh and BTW, it sounds like crap!

JSE

Jess... stop it, you're killin' me. LOL, I thought my situation wuz bad. At least my guy listened to others about what to buy and didn't HTIB it. You're even more of a saint than I am. Yeah, I lucked out, there was no "wall unit" to deal with... and on top of that the steak was burnt!!!! Man, there's just NOOOOO justice sometimes. Well Jess you're a better man than I am, that's the truth Ruth.

Da Worfster :D

JSE
01-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Funny thing,

I think he only paid about $200 for the HTIB. Three kids, daycare, new car, blah blah blah. Hell, he paid $170 for a dinner for 4 just for me hooking it up. Do we see a problem here?

Also, the 5 speakers that came with the HTIB were really crappy. After further inspection, I would bet a paycheck that the center channel is the same speaker as the mains and surrounds. It looks like they flipped it on it's side and put two plastic end caps on each end to make it look longer/wider. The end caps appear and sound to be hollow. If it was my crap-arse system, I would have torn those puppies apart to get to the truth!

On a good note, the DVD/Receiver/Tuner all in one unit has this really pretty blue glowing volume knob. Kindof like H/K's knobs but more vibrant and bluer. :cool:

JSE