Warning DVI incompatibility [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Warning DVI incompatibility

zplatoz
01-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Recently, I brought a Pioneer PDP 424 MV plasma with DVI input. I was looking for HMDI or DVI capability since the DVD Samsung 931player had an DVI output. Well it did not work. It turns out the DVI input is dedicated to computer output or DVI-PC as opposed to DVI-VIDEO. The salesman did not alert me about the incompatible formats.I read that the plasma could be recalibrated to accept DVI-video. Pioneer said no way. ANYBODY knows anything short of getting a home theatre capable computer to play my DVD movies? Dell and Alienware have DVI output ports on some of their computers. Anything else I should take into account if I get a computer with a DVI port?

Wireworm5
01-29-2005, 09:31 PM
About HDMI from my HDtv manual:
HDMI/HDCP (high-bandwidth copy protection) is the first all digital consumer electronics A/V interface that supports several uncompressed standards, enhanced and high definition video formats as well as existing mult-channel audio format. One jack supports both video and audio information. The HDMI/HDCP input can be connected to an EIA/CEA-861 (Profiles compliance covers profiles for transmission of uncompressed digital video including high bandwidth digital content protection) compliant consumer electronic device, such as a set top box or dvd player equipped with and HDMI or DVI output connection.By inputting a High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection HD picture source to the HDMI terminal of this tv, high definition pictures can be displayed in their digital form. The HDMI input terminal is not intended to be used with personal computers.

zplatoz
01-30-2005, 09:49 AM
About HDMI from my HDtv manual:
HDMI/HDCP (high-bandwidth copy protection) is the first all digital consumer electronics A/V interface that supports several uncompressed standards, enhanced and high definition video formats as well as existing mult-channel audio format. One jack supports both video and audio information. The HDMI/HDCP input can be connected to an EIA/CEA-861 (Profiles compliance covers profiles for transmission of uncompressed digital video including high bandwidth digital content protection) compliant consumer electronic device, such as a set top box or dvd player equipped with and HDMI or DVI output connection.By inputting a High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection HD picture source to the HDMI terminal of this tv, high definition pictures can be displayed in their digital form. The HDMI input terminal is not intended to be used with personal computers.

I appreciate the info on the HMDI/HDCP. My problem is having a DVI-PC, only for computer, input on my Pioneer plasma and the question is 'can it be recalibrated to DVI-VIDEO' in order to use my DVD player..