Home Entertainment Newbie Ques [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Entertainment Newbie Ques

BioSpark
01-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey everyone, I'm really new to this whole home theatre stuff.. My room mates moved out and gave me theirs (With no users man.).. My question is:

How do I hook up my surround sound so it'll work on my cable television? I don't have a cable box, the cable line just runs straight back in to the TV. Can someone list exactly what I need/need to do to get it to work?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.. :-D

pwh03
01-29-2005, 11:44 AM
there should be a RCA out on your tv, get an RCA audio cable red and white and run that to the receiver from the TV out .

It doesn't really matter which RCA in you use on the reciever, theres usually one called dtv/cbl or something along those lines which is what most people use (it just makes it easier to remember which is which). then as long as the receiver is set to play from that source (in this case DTV/cbl, othere source would include CD DVD...) it should work.

But you won't get sorround sound from regular cable the speakers will work but not like they would with a movie just to let you know. You'll need HD for that

good luck

Oh

paul_pci
01-29-2005, 05:26 PM
If your tv doesn't have an "audio out" (a friend of mine just had this problem), then you should see about getting a cable box and then running the video straight to your tv (using something other than the typical coax, you'll get a much improved picture) and the audio to your receiver. Also, you need to make sure that your receiver is set to Dolby Prologic (or Prologic II), which takes a 2 channel (stereo) signal and splits it into your five surround sound speakers.