Question re: power output and volume [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question re: power output and volume

kexodusc
12-19-2003, 11:58 AM
After an hour or so of futile web searches I'm back. Is there a direct relationship between power output of an amplifier and volume?
Put slightly differently, if I achieve a certain volume or loudness with an amplifier rated at 60 watts/channel, through a set of speakers, then switch to another amplifier rated at 110 watts/channel and return to that same volume, am I correct in assuming both amps were outputing the same amount of power at that volume, all things equal?

Woochifer
12-19-2003, 12:39 PM
I think the thing you need to be more concerned about is the efficiency of your speakers. Keep in mind that the sound level doubles every 10 db, but the wattage needs to increase TENFOLD in order to double the sound output level.

Before you get alarmed though, go back to the efficiency of your speakers. If your speakers have an efficiency rating of 90 db (most speakers are in the 85-90 db efficiency range), that means that it takes ONE WATT to get those speakers up to 90 decibels, which is very loud.

If you're using the same speakers, then yes both amps are outputing the same wattage to achieve the same volume level.

kexodusc
12-20-2003, 05:27 AM
Thanks yet again, Wooch. I got into a discussion about power ratings between the Yamaha RX-V1400 and RX-V2400 receivers (I'm a few paycheques away :( ). A friend of mine is considering purchasing the one of these two models. He doesn't really crank up the volume and I couldn't see much advantage for him to add 10 more watts per channel.
What about putting a different spin on this question then. He's driving some DIY VIFA speakers (Ed Frias, I think) so would buying a receiver with 10 more Watts per channel improve sound quality at moderate volumes, or just give him more potential to to make noise, and not really add value for him? We've already established the other features the 2400 incorporates over the 1400 probably wouldn't be of use to him. Any input? Thx.

markw
12-20-2003, 07:28 AM
If I may interject, an additional 10 watts won't really provide an audiable difference, assuming the same speakers in both cases.

To get a barely audiable increase of 3 decibles, you need to DOUBLE the power. To get roughly twice the precieved loudness, you must multiply the power TEN times. So, those additional 10 watts won't amount to a hill of beans here.

For this to be a good move, there must be other niceties added to that receiver he needs other than those 10 additional watts

If those additional 10 watts are his only reason for looking at this, then I wouldn't waste my money.

kexodusc
12-20-2003, 08:01 AM
That echoes my sentiments about the two receivers. 100 extra dollars for a few extra watts doesn't seem worth it. His current receiver is only 85/channel I think and that's been more than sufficient for him.
Thanks for the input.

TinHere
12-20-2003, 09:00 AM
That echoes my sentiments about the two receivers. 100 extra dollars for a few extra watts doesn't seem worth it. His current receiver is only 85/channel I think and that's been more than sufficient for him.
Thanks for the input.

The 2400 allows for the receiver to be hooked up to a PC via the RSC232 connection. This allows for different settings to be stored on the PC and transferred to the receiver with a program they call the "Yamaha Receiver Editor". This allows for multiple "sweet spots" to be uploaded to the receiver from the computer without having to rerun YPAO each time you want the change, or manually redo the settings.