Choosing between a 27 or 32 inch TV. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Choosing between a 27 or 32 inch TV.

Smokey
01-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Right now have a 20 inch Panasonic flat TV (20SL13) and thinking of upgrading. I be sitting 6 feet from TV screen. I am thinking that 6 feet distance might be too close for a 32 inch TV. So I was wondering if anybody sitting that close to a 32 inch-or bigger and their eyes are not bothered?

My options are (from Sears):
Panasonic 27SL14 $329 (27 inch..flat)
Toshiba 27A34 $229 (27 inch..non flat)
Toshiba 32A34 $329 (32 inch..non flat)

Which one would you go for :)

popolz
01-28-2005, 06:15 PM
I have a 27" and at 6' it's too small. My buddy have a 32" and it's perfect. It`s doesn't bother my eyes at all but i look at a computer screen 8H00+ a day.

mattldm
01-28-2005, 06:54 PM
for regular tv the 27 inch should be fine. If you are going to watch DVD's, or HDTV, then you want to go with the 32.

Woochifer
01-28-2005, 06:58 PM
None of the above, save up for HDTV! :D

The rule of thumb on screen sizes is 1.5x the diagonal dimension on the TV for the seating position. Forr 6', you're talking about a diagonal dimension of about 48". 32" should be fine, and even a tad small for that distance.

mattldm
01-28-2005, 07:09 PM
well, just dont watch sdtv that close you wont like it! even a good TV cant make up for the lack of resolution, SDTV should be about 3 times the screen size right? for a 32", you should not sit closer than about 8 ft for SDTV.

Lensman
01-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Right now have a 20 inch Panasonic flat TV (20SL13) and thinking of upgrading. I be sitting 6 feet from TV screen. I am thinking that 6 feet distance might be too close for a 32 inch TV. So I was wondering if anybody sitting that close to a 32 inch-or bigger and their eyes are not bothered?

My options are (from Sears):
Panasonic 27SL14 $329 (27 inch..flat)
Toshiba 27A34 $229 (27 inch..non flat)
Toshiba 32A34 $329 (32 inch..non flat)

Which one would you go for :)

Woochifer certainly has a good point about HDTV. It's coming fast. However, it'll probably be at least a couple of years before you can buy an HDTV at the screen size you're considering for a comparable price to the choices you listed. Personally, I prefer flat screens and am well-pleased with the Panasonic I own. But I have to agree with the others in saying a 32" will probably provide more you viewing pleasure. If you like watching movies in their original widescreen format, I'd say it's a certainty.

According to the Society of Motion Picture and Movie engineers, a 30 degree viewing angle is recommended for watching movies. To achieve this at six feet, you'd need a 48" standard 4:3 TV or a 44" 16:9 HDTV. So again, 32" is better and larger is preferred.

To some extent, however, this is mitgated by the TV's resolution. You want to be able to pick out individual details easily, but not individual pixels. And budget goes without saying. ;)

Woochifer
01-28-2005, 09:58 PM
well, just dont watch sdtv that close you wont like it! even a good TV cant make up for the lack of resolution, SDTV should be about 3 times the screen size right? for a 32", you should not sit closer than about 8 ft for SDTV.

Actually, in my setup I sit about 6' away from a 32" standard definition TV, and the picture at times seems small even with 4:3 material. With widescreen movies, it's definitely lacking!

Woochifer
01-29-2005, 01:41 AM
Woochifer certainly has a good point about HDTV. It's coming fast. However, it'll probably be at least a couple of years before you can buy an HDTV at the screen size you're considering for a comparable price to the choices you listed. Personally, I prefer flat screens and am well-pleased with the Panasonic I own. But I have to agree with the others in saying a 32" will probably provide more you viewing pleasure. If you like watching movies in their original widescreen format, I'd say it's a certainty.

According to the Society of Motion Picture and Movie engineers, a 30 degree viewing angle is recommended for watching movies. To achieve this at six feet, you'd need a 48" standard 4:3 TV or a 44" 16:9 HDTV. So again, 32" is better and larger is preferred.

To some extent, however, this is mitgated by the TV's resolution. You want to be able to pick out individual details easily, but not individual pixels. And budget goes without saying. ;)

With a 32" standard definition TV from about 6', the horizontal resolution lines are not that noticeable. If I sit closer than about 5', then they're very distacting.

I agree with you about seeing the pixels. I think the way that a lot of electronics stores are setup, they're not good for displaying HDTVs because the customer is looking at them very close up, and you don't really get the full effect until you pull back a few feet.

uncooked
01-29-2005, 12:31 PM
toshiba FX-54

flat 27"

AWSOME tv, look into them

good luck

Smokey
01-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks everybody for good information.

Mostly be watching non DVD movies (Cable), and as the TV options mentioned, on a tight budget. And the place I am now is kind of temporary for now, so don't want to tie too much money on TV in case my situation change in few months. Just something to hold me over. I could do with my current 20 inch, but since got over 20 movie channels, why waste it on such a small screen ;)

I was not really worried about about scan lines at 6 feet, but rather my eyes may being bothered for such a distance.
Wooch, you said you sit 6 feet from 32 inch TV. So it doesn't bother your eyes all, even in slightly darkened room?

Also Lensman, you said "According to the Society of Motion Picture and Movie engineers, a 30 degree viewing angle is recommended for watching movies."
I don't understand that statement. Does that mean one have to sit 30 degree angle from the screen to be viewed best :confused: