$1000 receiver to match totem arros and for HT [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $1000 receiver to match totem arros and for HT

SpoonerMan
01-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Need some advice on which receiver to get. Use it for music and home theater. Budget: $1,000.

I'd really like to make the most of my new speakers - totem arros. They were the right solution for me - as they have great sound and aren't big at all.... Now i've learned that some believe they are a little "bright," whatever that means... i want to get a decent receiver to compliment them. the totem people sent me these suggestions (but i think a couple of them are older models):
Rotel rsx 1055
Arcam avr 200
Yamaha rv 2300
Denon 3803
Harmon Kardon Avr 430

I live in a nyc apartment so i won't be really shaking the walls. For me it is about great sound quality at moderate volumes.

Suggestions? Comments on ones listed?

Thanks from a beginning audiophile...

mattldm
01-28-2005, 07:16 PM
well I havent heard the totems but if you are looking for a musical receiver then you might want to look at the Marantz SR7500, or the NAD T753. The NAD equipment is all about music first, they focus on it. Dont be fooled but the low power ratings (70 wpc) on the NAD, they will supply plenty of power, even to 4 ohm speakers.
good luck!
Matt

kexodusc
01-29-2005, 04:29 AM
I've always found Rotel, NAD, and Arcam gear to be great matches with Totem speakers...Not that the others are bad...I don't see a bad receiver in the group you've listed...

astravitz
02-03-2005, 11:07 AM
I find that Arcam is better for music (2 channel) & Rotel will be better on Home Theater. You'll have to decide which is more important. Arcam's have build in DAC's and also a bypass for analog signals.

dean_martin
02-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks from a beginning audiophile...

Looks like you're off to a great start! Let us know how it goes as you put your system together.

divot
02-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Since you have narrowed your search down to all wonderful in their own way a/v receivers, it might simply come down to whatever receiver that you can purchase for the best price...I bought my brand new Rotel RSX-1055 knowing full well that it had been replaced in the Rotel lineup and that my local audio shop owner was highly motivated to sell...maybe it's just coincidental, but somehow my smooth sounding Rotel sounds just a bit smoother knowing that the $$$ saved by buying last year's model added a new Sony SA-CD/DVD 975V, wireless Sennheiser RS-85 headphones and upgraded Monster Cables to my system...one more thing to consider is the warranty...Rotel's 5 year parts and labor warranty combined with my audio shop's on-site repair with comparable loaner guarantee made my final decision real easy...good luck!

astravitz
02-03-2005, 07:02 PM
As a Rotel Owner of the RSX-1065 & RCD-1070 I can tell you that you'll probably need the 5 year warranty. All the Rotel Equipment I've ever purchased has required a repair, so make sure you purchase from an authorized dealer. I'm not saying that Rotel repair is incompetent, they are actually very friendly and expert in fixing your equipement - they have to be with all the repairs.

eisforelectronic
02-04-2005, 12:25 AM
I like HK! I own Dreamcatchers. I haven't heard them hooked up to anything else. I think I'm biased. :)