Speaker recomendations for a Newbie? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker recomendations for a Newbie?

MarkM13
01-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Greetings,

I currently have a HT system that would have most people on this bb bust a gut laughing.
I am looking to start up grading and would like to begin with the speakers. I currently have some old Sonys for my front and center (Small HT in a Box style) and some Bi-Polar cheap Sonys as my rears. The best part of the system is a 200 watt Energy 12" front firing sub. It's sort of on loan and will have to be replaced at some point. My receiver is a Sony Pro-logic II that's about 5 years old and lacks co-ax or digital audio. I'm currently using the 5.1 analog audio jacks coming from my DVD player to the same set of inputs on the receiver. As primitive as this set up is it sounds somewhat passable, but lacks some serious mids.

Being a musician, my HT system is often used for viewing live concert DVDs (I don't use it to listen to CDs). I'm looking for a speaker system that will sound great for movie viewing, but will also sound killer for concert vids such as "Rush in Rio", Pat Metheny's 'Imaginary Day" or Step Ahead in Japan (the last two are jazz groups).

I went to a local Audio shop the other day and told them I was looking to upgrade all five speakers. I listened to three systems; Boston, B&W and Quad. The Quads blew my socks off. Unbelievable stage presence and clarity, but way out of my price range. The fronts were $700-1000/pr, the center $600 and the rears about $500. A complete set of Bostons (cant remember the models, but they had what appeared to be al. cones) were $1000. $350 for the fronts $400 center $250 rears. The B&W system was in between price wise , but I really did not like the sound. To me, it sounded they were sent through an parametric eq with some frequencies attenuated. Even at a grand for the Bostons I'm at much more than I wanted to spend. Especially since, I'm going to have to look at a receiver next and also a sub.

Given the above info, does anyone have any suggestions. I've been on the fence about a Fluance SX system, but really don't like the fact I can't hear them first. The price sure is right (at this price I could do the sub too) but, I wonder if I'm going to get what I pay for (even with all the positive reviews on this sight).

I should add that I'm by no means an audiophile or have any aspirations to be. However, I've been in enough recording studios to know really good sound and also know I can't afford it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Mark

bargainseeker
01-28-2005, 03:47 PM
There is a huge gap in price between the Fluance SX set and the speakers you heard but can't afford. What is your budget for five speakers?

You may find this thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=9366) and this post (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=68908&postcount=12) helpful.

Jimmy C
01-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Greetings,

I currently have a HT system that would have most people on this bb bust a gut laughing.
I am looking to start up grading and would like to begin with the speakers. I currently have some old Sonys for my front and center (Small HT in a Box style) and some Bi-Polar cheap Sonys as my rears. The best part of the system is a 200 watt Energy 12" front firing sub. It's sort of on loan and will have to be replaced at some point. My receiver is a Sony Pro-logic II that's about 5 years old and lacks co-ax or digital audio. I'm currently using the 5.1 analog audio jacks coming from my DVD player to the same set of inputs on the receiver. As primitive as this set up is it sounds somewhat passable, but lacks some serious mids.

Being a musician, my HT system is often used for viewing live concert DVDs (I don't use it to listen to CDs). I'm looking for a speaker system that will sound great for movie viewing, but will also sound killer for concert vids such as "Rush in Rio", Pat Metheny's 'Imaginary Day" or Step Ahead in Japan (the last two are jazz groups).

I went to a local Audio shop the other day and told them I was looking to upgrade all five speakers. I listened to three systems; Boston, B&W and Quad. The Quads blew my socks off. Unbelievable stage presence and clarity, but way out of my price range. The fronts were $700-1000/pr, the center $600 and the rears about $500. A complete set of Bostons (cant remember the models, but they had what appeared to be al. cones) were $1000. $350 for the fronts $400 center $250 rears. The B&W system was in between price wise , but I really did not like the sound. To me, it sounded they were sent through an parametric eq with some frequencies attenuated. Even at a grand for the Bostons I'm at much more than I wanted to spend. Especially since, I'm going to have to look at a receiver next and also a sub.

Given the above info, does anyone have any suggestions. I've been on the fence about a Fluance SX system, but really don't like the fact I can't hear them first. The price sure is right (at this price I could do the sub too) but, I wonder if I'm going to get what I pay for (even with all the positive reviews on this sight).

I should add that I'm by no means an audiophile or have any aspirations to be. However, I've been in enough recording studios to know really good sound and also know I can't afford it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Mark

...boy, I didn't think I would be hearing anything about these people for quite some time - somewhat obscure, but this is the second time in ONE week "Steps Ahead" would cross my path... what are the odds? My friend heard "Steps" on the radio and I just lent him my "Modern Times" LP. Good stuff...

I hate to recommend things over and over, and sound like a broken record (nyuk, nyuk...)but if you're on a tight budget, I would assemble the Dayton BR1 kit from PartsExpress.com. You can buy four of these, AND a 100-watt powered sub for UNDER $400. Run the receiver in "phantom"... pleny of center fill. I also believe PE has a center... not positive.

Wanna upgrade? But the SEAS (or Vifa/Peerless) kit and have the BR1s for the rear. W/ sub, under $650. You might be suprised at how full, non-fatigueing, and resolving the BR1s are - certainly not perfect, but w-e-l-l worth the silly low price.

The only caveat is, again, you must assemble them. Not really a big deal... but, that's for you to decide. I can also understand not wanting to bother.

From the budget gear I have heard, these are a no-brainer.

Keep us posted whatever you decide!

mattldm
01-28-2005, 07:32 PM
check out the PSB Image series, they are awesome. Stereophile magazine rated the image B25 as the best sounding "inexpensive speaker" out there. they are not the cheapest speakers, but they are well worth the price! (psbspeakers.com)

MarkM13
01-28-2005, 08:28 PM
There is a huge gap in price between the Fluance SX set and the speakers you heard but can't afford. What is your budget for five speakers?

You may find this thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=9366) and this post (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=68908&postcount=12) helpful.
Thanks for the responce. I'm looking at about $500 w/o the sub.

MarkM13
01-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys this is great info. Turns out the place I was headed tomorrow is a PSB dealer, so I'll check them out. A link to another thread also suggested the Rocket by Onix series. The prices sure are right. Any thoughts on them?
The Dayton kit sounds attractive, but I've never even held a soldering iron let alone used one. I don't want to have to learn on a project like this. The sounds like a hell of a deal.
I was thinking of stepping down to a 10" as the 12" Energy I'm currently using is very boomy and unfocused.

If anyone else has other suggestions please chime in.

Thanks again,
Mark

bargainseeker
01-29-2005, 05:21 AM
If you are not interested in building your own, I can't think of anything you could buy in your price range right now that would beat the half price deal on the Rocket ELT LRS speakers (http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=32.1). I suggest getting three pairs or two pairs and a single and using one of them as the center speaker. These are new class A speakers which are covered by AV123's 30 day return policy and 3 year warranty (http://www.av123.com/support_warranties.php).

If you are interested in this deal I suggest that you act fairly soon. They are closing out these speakers in the cherry finish and I don't know how many they have left or when they will run out.

bargainseeker
01-29-2005, 06:29 AM
If you hear some PSB speakers you like, you may be interested in DMC Electronics (https://dmc-electronics.com/Main.asp) which has some good deals on PSB B stock (factory second) speakers. Even with B stock, however, I think the PSBs are going to be out of your price range.

drseid
01-29-2005, 12:36 PM
If you are not interested in building your own, I can't think of anything you could buy in your price range right now that would beat the half price deal on the Rocket ELT LRS speakers (http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=32.1). I suggest getting three pairs or two pairs and a single and using one of them as the center speaker. These are new class A speakers which are covered by AV123's 30 day return policy and 3 year warranty (http://www.av123.com/support_warranties.php).

If you are interested in this deal I suggest that you act fairly soon. They are closing out these speakers in the cherry finish and I don't know how many they have left or when they will run out.

Yep, I agree that this is probably the best way to go.

Also, when you have to jetison the Energy 12 (I used to own this one about 8 years ago and can relate to the "lack of focus" comment), you may want to give the Rocket UFW-10 a try (as opposed to downgrading to a 10 inch Energy sub that I can't really recommend for music)... It looks great, and will bang out your music DVDs with just about anything near its price point. av123.com sometimes has them in B-stock at a very reasonable price.

Good luck,

---Dave

kexodusc
01-29-2005, 01:40 PM
JimmyC gives excellent advise...sound wise, most of the speakers mentioned here that I've heard would not quite match the BR-1 in performance, and cost a good chunk more...the closest would probably be the Rocket ELT's if the 50% off sale is still on, if it's not, I'd go another route, but even they don't have near the smoothness in the midrange the BR-1's have. The downside, you've got to assemble them yourself, and they're a bit boring too look at.

If you go the commercial speaker route, the Rockets would probably a good place to start. Athena makes excellent inexpensive speakers as well, and of course there's Paradigm, Energy, etc, the usual heavyweights, you might like the various different presentations.

MarkM13
01-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Hey Guys,

I went to check out a set of PSBs today with the mind set that if I really liked them, I'd stretch, (well double) my budget. I had pretty much made up my mind to go with the Rockets, but really wanted to hear them. Anyway there is a PSB dealer on the other side of town. I explained my situation and they let me hear the image B25 and T45s. I did like them. However, they also recommended a Definitive Tech system that had BP6s up front, Promonitor 100s in the rear and C2 center. I heard the fronts and rears together and Damn....... I loved it. I realize I was responding to the bi-polar BP6s, but I really did perfer this set-up over the PSB. Best of all the Definitive Tech package totalled $1074, which was 100s less than the PSB set-up. I haven't purchaced them yet, but am leaning heavily towards them. I did go back to the Boston dealer and check out that system again which was just under 1k. As good as they were, it was no comparision. And with the DT system I get tower fronts complete with 4 drivers.

I'd really like to hear the Rockets in person to see if the DTs are worth dbl the price, but I haven't found anyone that deals them. Are they direct only?

Thanks again for all of your help. Any other advice/info would be welcome.

Mark

drseid
01-29-2005, 04:13 PM
They also recommended a Definitive Tech system that had BP6s up front, Promonitor 100s in the rear and C2 center. I heard the fronts and rears together and Damn....... I loved it. I realize I was responding to the bi-polar BP6s, but I really did perfer this set-up over the PSB. Best of all the Definitive Tech package totalled $1074, which was 100s less than the PSB set-up. I haven't purchaced them yet, but am leaning heavily towards them.

I'd really like to hear the Rockets in person to see if the DTs are worth dbl the price, but I haven't found anyone that deals them. Are they direct only?
Mark

Yes Mark, they are indeed direct only...

While the Rockets are most likely to also please, if you know you like the DTs, then go for it, I say. DT also makes excellent speakers for the money, IMO. I have owned the ProCinema series in the past, used in my bedroom system, and I never felt wanting at their price point.

---Dave

bargainseeker
01-29-2005, 04:21 PM
To find someone in your area who owns Rocket ELT speakers and is willing to let you audition them, try Audio Envy (http://www.audioenvy.com/). At some point, though, you need to go with what you like and are willing to afford.

MarkM13
02-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey Guys,

Thank you for all of your help. I've decided to go with the Definitive Tech system that I heard last week (BP6 up front, C2 Procenter and Pro-monitor 100s in the rear). As good of deal as the Rockets are (were?) I was really impressed with the bi-polar towers for the front. Plus, I can see myself using the system to listen to music too, given that this speakers will be far superior to what's on my audio set up. In a few months I'll replace the Energy with either a Dif. Tech.10 or a Dayton.

Thanks again,
Mark

enrique
02-01-2005, 02:53 PM
mark,out of curiosity which B&w setup did you listen to and what amplification were they using?I had a complete set of def.tech.procinema 100's(which were great for ht & music) which i sold to get the B&W 603s3 and lcr600,i still have the 100's as surounds til i can get the 601s3's.I also kept my def.tech. 200tl sub.The def.tech's are great but not everyone likes the def.tech. bp towers for music.If they are what you like then get them.But i'm still curious about the b&w's you listened to.

MarkM13
02-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi there,

The B&W were from the DM6xx series. I can't remember which ones. I didn't pay much attention to them because I liked them the least of the three. The Quads were by far the best to my ears. The DMs were very even across the frequency band, but didn't seem to offer the depth of sound stage that the others did. The Bostons were a bit bright but seems to offer greater depth of field.

FWIW; Keep in mind my listening perspective is a bit different than your average person. I'm a musician and spend quite a bit of time in my MIDI Studio complete with alot of virtual signal processing applications. I have a tendencay to lean towards a more "live" concert hall type sound.

Mark

enrique
02-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Have you thought about looking into some prostudio monitors?Like maybe pmc.