Friday song of the day [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Friday song of the day

Davey
01-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Will is my friend
Will sings like John
Goin' back to California

What a cool song. I was listening to Devendra Banhart this morning and this song always just floors me. Can't get it out of my head now. So simple, yet so gentle and sincere sounding. Just a piano and acoustic guitar, but so many quavers and quivers in his voice and delivery. Apparently he said in an interview that he really does have a good friend named Will, and he does sing like that great British bluesman John Mayall, and he's always singing Mayall's "Goin' Back to California". So the song was meant to be kind of an ode to him. Friday fun fact to go with my Friday song of the day :)

What's yours?

Will is a good friend of mine
with whom I spend a whole lotta my time
the lemon tree
it laughs at me
it's growin' beautifully
the little vine
it won't unwind
and it'll wrap your whole in time
now let's have a glass of wine
now let's have another glass of wine

nobody
01-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Well...not to keep beating a dead horse, but I'll go with...

Junior Murvin: Police and Thieves

I heard the Clash version first, but as soon as I found out it was a cover, I started immediately getting interested in reggae. They certainly choose well when they decided to record this one as the original is fantastic.

Slosh
01-28-2005, 11:20 AM
"Boys, You Won't" - The Wrens

It's the good stuff :)

ForeverAutumn
01-28-2005, 11:32 AM
The Sound of Settling, Death Cab for Cutie.

This is one of my "happy songs". Everytime I hear it I have to bounce, I can't help it. We were out for dinner a couple of weeks ago and this song started playing. I was so surprised to hear it! I just sat and quietly bopped in my chair, mumbling the words under my breath, as I ate. The friend that we were out with thought it was kind of strange, but Hubby just ignored me. He's used to it. :rolleyes:

I played Transatlanticism today (after 2 spins of The Thrills) and have played The Sound of Settling three times.

In fact....here we go again! Baa baaaa (baa baaaaaaa).

Slosh
01-28-2005, 11:49 AM
The Sound of Settling, Death Cab for Cutie.

This is one of my "happy songs". Everytime I hear it I have to bounce, I can't help it. .
Does it make you feel like eating a Snickers or is it just me?

umapet97
01-28-2005, 11:49 AM
5.6.7.8.s Highschool Witch,thanks Tarantino for hooking me on these bad ass chics

ForeverAutumn
01-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Does it make you feel like eating a Snickers or is it just me?

:confused: I don't get it.

DariusNYC
01-28-2005, 01:03 PM
"Lua" by Bright Eyes.

I'm pretty fascinated by the new album, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, and "Lua"'s my favorite song so far. Does Conor Oberst still get on my nerves? Yes, sometimes, but it's sorta like the dude that stands too close to you on the subway, but that doesn't smell or sneeze on you anything, just is a little bit too close.

MindGoneHaywire
01-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Cissy Strut by the Meters. It's instrumental.

Slosh
01-28-2005, 01:38 PM
:confused: I don't get it.

I've got a hunger tying my stomach into knots

ForeverAutumn
01-28-2005, 02:50 PM
I've got a hunger tying my stomach into knots

They must not play the whole song then, eh?

But they never make it past my mouth :)

If that commercial was run here, I never saw it. And since I do tend to watch too much TV, if I haven't seen it then it probably didn't happen.

But now that you mention it...it has been along time since I've indulged in a Snickers bar. Mmmmmmm. :p <-- licking my chops.

Davey
01-28-2005, 03:00 PM
If that commercial was run here, I never saw it. And since I do tend to watch too much TV, if I haven't seen it then it probably didn't happen.
It's probably those silly Canadian content laws at work again keeping all our pacific northwest indie rock bands at bay, eh!

ForeverAutumn
01-28-2005, 03:06 PM
It's probably those silly Canadian content laws at work again keeping all our southwest indie rock bands at bay, eh!

The truth is that commerials in Canada aren't allowed to advertise unhealthy foods. We only ever see commercials for yogurt and cottage cheese.

Oh...and beer. ;)

Oh yeah, and we all live in igloos and ride dog sleds to work, eh. :D

Snowbunny
01-28-2005, 03:14 PM
At the risk of infecting y'all with an earworm, (or is it earwig?) I'm really enjoying rediscovering Joe Jackson - Look Sharp. For you young uns out there, I am not referring to Michael and Janet's dad!

A few year's back, my special friend at the pawn shop made me a bunch of mp3 comps with no labels! Took one skiing a coupla weeks ago and Look Sharp has got to be one of the best ski albums ever!

Did anyone ever buy any other JJ albums? I checked out AMG and it looks like he mostly just kept re-releasing the same album over and over again. Any recs?

Happy Loving Couples

I've just been to see my best friend
He's got another girl
Says she's just about the best thing
In the whole damn world

And he says can't you see what the little lady's done for me
Says it like he thinks I'm blind
But the things that you see ain't necessarily the things you can find

Happy loving couples make it look so easy
Happy loving couples always talk so kind
Until the time that I can do my dancing with a partner
Those happy couples ain't no friends of mine

People say I'm too damn fussy
When it comes to girls
Happy couples say I must live
In a lonely world

Wanna be, wanna really be what my friends pretend to be
Be it in my own good time
Being kind to myself till I become one of two of a kind

You ain't no friends of mine

You know what I mean
Happy loving couples
In matching lamb turtle-neck sweaters
Reading Ideal Homes magazine
Yeah!

Wanna be, wanna really be what my friends pretend to be
Be it in my own good time
Being kind to myself till I become one of two of a kind

Right, that's enough

Love that Devandra song, Davey. On my last musical excursion, I could only find Nino Rojo, and its doesn't seem as infectious as the samples I've heard from uhhh... that other one. :)

Davey
01-28-2005, 03:17 PM
The truth is that commerials in Canada aren't allowed to advertise unhealthy foods. We only ever see commercials for yogurt and cottage cheese.

Oh...and beer. ;)
Yeah, but you probably only see commercials for that awful Moosepiss beer :D

Just kidding! Get away from the big American-syle lagers and there are a bunch of great Canadian beers. Can't seem to get most of em down here, though. Too bad.

Davey
01-28-2005, 03:25 PM
At the risk of infecting y'all with an earworm, (or is it earwig?) I'm really enjoying rediscovering Joe Jackson - Look Sharp.

Yeah, that is a good one! One of the things that struck me about the Hot Hot Heat was a certain amount of Joe Jackson content. I have a couple of his big selling LPs but don't know offhand which two. I'm sure one is Look Sharp. Nothing on the little discs, though.

Love that Devandra song, Davey. On my last musical excursion, I could only find Nino Rojo, and its doesn't seem as infectious as the samples I've heard from uhhh... that other one. :)
I only have Rejoicing In The Hands but man is it solid all the way through. Love it! You definitely need to get someone to send a copy to you! I have the Vetiver album with Devendra on it too and it is very cool as well.

Snowbunny
01-28-2005, 03:39 PM
I only have Rejoicing In The Hands but man is it solid all the way through. Love it! You definitely need to get someone to send a copy to you! I have the Vetiver album with Devendra on it too and it is very cool as well.

How about that Vetiver/Vetiver? I gave it a listen last time I was at Zulu, but it didn't make it to the till even though it was a staff pick. And you know, I couldn't even find a slot for Arcade Fire - Funeral at the time. I've just heard the song Neighbourhood (Power Out) so far on The Year In Slosh: 2004. My impression? (Expressed in the key of Dustychalk), meh.

Davey
01-28-2005, 04:00 PM
How about that Vetiver/Vetiver? I gave it a listen last time I was at Zulu, but it didn't make it to the till even though it was a staff pick.
It's not as good as Rejoicing but it still has some very nice stuff on it. Looks like tentoze and myself are the only ones here who have talked about it. I said "Not quite as eclectic as Devendra Banhart's own stuff (he's one of the main performers, playing second guitar on most songs and singing backup and cowriting a couple songs with main guy Andy Cabic) but still very nice. Got a vibe a little along the lines of Slowdive, but more folkie. Guitar, banjo, cello, violin with the occasional drums, piano and even harp. Pretty fine job by all involved, even if it's not the most distinctive thing you've ever heard." Still, wouldn't be one of my top picks of the year but I'm glad I got it. Kind of a grower for me, but could use some more of that Banhart charm. I've a feeling that on his own, the Cabic guy is probably as boring as me :)

DarrenH
01-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Marry Me - Drive-By Truckers

From the album Decoration Day

Not only is this a kick arse tune but it reminds me of when I proposed to my wife.

Bahahaha......NOT!

I just like the tune.

Darren

skewiff
01-28-2005, 08:30 PM
My song of the day is The Great Depression by The Jam.

I've been to 19 Joe Jackson concerts over the last 27 years, massive fan.

Tony

nobody
01-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Did anyone ever buy any other JJ albums? I checked out AMG and it looks like he mostly just kept re-releasing the same album over and over again. Any recs?

I'd say if you like Look Sharp, you'd probably be inclined to get into I'm the Man. They are pretty similar, although I would have to disagree that he released the same thing over and over. After these first two, he really started branching out. Of the two, I may even like I'm the Man better, personally. Still, both are classic new wave power pop kinda things and well worth grabbing.

Dusty Chalk
01-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Thanks, now, despite listening to Godspeed You Black Emperor, I've got Joe Jackson stuck in my head. Not exactly compatible mixture -- sorta like comparing Thai hot with Mexican hot.

I love Joe Jackson -- Beat Crazy is a personal favourite, though nothing I've heard from him is out-and-out bad.

I got no song of the day, that day was two days past, anyway.

What is the 'key of Dustychalk'?

Snowbunny
02-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Not exactly compatible mixture -- sorta like comparing Thai hot with Mexican hot.

Nice analogy. Both so very good, but so very wrong together. :D

The key of Dustychalk? I'm not sure how to describe it other than I'm pretty sure its mostly in major chords.

Snowbunny
02-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Oh yeah, and we all live in igloos and ride dog sleds to work, eh. :D

I'm afraid I'm going to have to report this post the Political Correctness Branch of the RCMP for your intolerance towards those of us who ride dog sleds to work and live in igloos. :mad:

Snowbunny
02-02-2005, 02:11 PM
I'd say if you like Look Sharp, you'd probably be inclined to get into I'm the Man. They are pretty similar, although I would have to disagree that he released the same thing over and over. After these first two, he really started branching out. Of the two, I may even like I'm the Man better, personally. Still, both are classic new wave power pop kinda things and well worth grabbing.

Once again my musical tastes are similar to nobody's. I guess I said that wrong about him releasing the same thing over and over. Its just that on his discography they have a lot of best of's and re-releases. I'll definitely pick up I'm the Man, even though that song kind of annoys me!

Dusty Chalk
02-02-2005, 05:12 PM
The key of Dustychalk? I'm not sure how to describe it other than I'm pretty sure its mostly in major chords.'S'not!

...he said, snottily.

Snowbunny
02-02-2005, 06:03 PM
'S'not!

...he said, snottily.

Ooops... I'm not a trained musician. I must have mixed up my minor/major chords. I was just so surprised by your high-pitched girly voice the first time I heard it. :p

Dusty Chalk
02-03-2005, 09:28 AM
:D

Or perhaps you're just getting forgetful.